“Not a Value...Flies and Filthy”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Salisbury
Utica, New York
“Not a Value...Flies and Filthy”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

First, let me start by saying I don't have high expectations in regards to "cheap" hotels. But, even I was disgusted. The room we stayed in should be condemned. We had such a problem with flies that we had to call the front desk. (My husband had already killed at least two dozen with his hat at that point.) The front desk offered to spray but with both of us having asthma, we didn't want to take the chance of a reaction so we asked for a fly swatter instead. They did bring us one, which got quite a workout over the next 2 days. The carpets were stained, and totally filthy. I didn't even feel comfortable going barefoot. Also, there were dead bug carcasses on the floor (flies and others I didn't identify). On the day we were checking out, I realized that the mattress we slept on had blood on it! (A lot, not just a drop either!) Maybe that's why the flies are hanging around?? The bathroom was not that clean at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure someone had shaved over our ice bucket...

The breakfast was a joke. The last time I checked, it was not sanitary to have margarine, peanut butter and jelly for everyone to dip their knife into! And, the black "X" over the bread told me this was not the freshest. (Day old? Thrift store?)

I will say that the workers I encountered were nice enough, the lobby wasn't that bad and the pool looked good. But the room was awful! I really feel that the local health department should visit this location. I'm sure they would require some changes. Even the towels and washcloths were stained.

My regret is that we didn't complain enough while we were there. I would have tried to get my money refunded and would have slept in our car if we had to. We were there to visit family (military) and just didn't want to put up a fuss in front of them. Bad mistake. Lesson learned. Don't prepay for a room, make sure you see the room you are to stay in before handing them your credit card, and speak up if it's not satisfactory! I filled out a complaint form on their website but I doubt they will respond.

We have stayed at other ABVIs in other states with mixed results, but never this bad. We will not be booking another. I will be burning my "value club" card.

Room Tip: Don't book a room around the pool! People coming and going constantly!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank BarbieJo14
AMBVISBY, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. We are so sorry we did not met your- or our own- expectations. Whilst an apology will regrettably not alter the outcome of your experience on this occasion. I do extend it with all sincerity. I certainly emphasize regarding the points you mention in your review especially the condition of the mattress. I do agree that the stains that were ignored on the mattress is clearly unacceptable. It is not our standard practice and it has been removed and replaced. . Continental breakfast is served in the morning from 7-9a.m. Our breads are purchased daily and are properly sealed during breakfast hours along with the rest of our breakfast items which tongs are supplied for pick up. Our orange and apple juices stay stocked along with our condiments that are either individually packaged or in individual containers. In regards to the carpeting although most of our rooms already have new carpeting in them we are currently looking into new carpeting for the rooms that still have old carpeting in them. The experiences you described pertaining to housekeeping are not characteristic of the level of service our colleagues strive to provide and we apologize that your stay was unsatisfactory due to our negligence. We admit that, although we always try our best,, there is certainly always room for improvement and during very busy periods, we might have less attention to details than usual, and apparently, this has been the case over the last few days and for that again we apologize. We hope that we will be able to welcome you back.

S. Nelson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Jacobus, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

This was the worst place I have ever encountered! We were three couples with one dog. Room one was supposed to be non smoking and smelled like a dirty ash tray, not suitable for a baby and toddler to breathe that air. Room two was dog friendly and smelled like urine! Third room was dirty!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Subel86
AMBVISBY, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear Subel96,

It is very unfortunate that you had such a bad experience while visiting our property. Although we are an older property, we have passed all necessary inspections for years. We take pride in our property with customer service ranked our number one priority. The experiences you described regarding the condition of your room are not characteristics of the level of service our colleagues strive to provide, and we again apologize your stay was unsatisfactory. Your feedback was shared with our team, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.

S. Nelson

Travelers are raving about these Salisbury hotels

Fayetteville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Very nice & reasonably priced. Close to shopping & restaurants which make it very convenient.
Continental breakfast was one of the best we have had at any hotel
Pool was clean & plenty of chairs for guests to use. Especially appreciated that we could get bags of ice for only $1 since we were therefor ball tournaments we needed a lot.

Staff was friendly & very pleasant to talk to.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Sandy M,

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your stay here at America's Best Value Inn. We appreciate your feedback which helps us to best meet our guests needs. I am happy to hear that our property was nice and reasonably priced. We are also pleased to hear that you really enjoyed our complimentary breakfast to get a jump start on your day, and our pool to lay back and relax in. We are happy to provide $1, 8lb ice bags for our guests to fill up their coolers to travel to the beach to relax or to just take along to their games. Again we thank you and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I had already killed a dozen flies in the room. I let the front desk know and housekeeping came and sprayed two and left. To get some sleep, I had to sleep with my head under the sheet. I left there tired and frustrated.

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank NeedR
Dear Need R,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our facility. We would like to sincerely apologize for the condition of your room upon check-in. We have had a issue with flies this year, but we have our exterminators working on resolving this issue. This is not how we want our guest to remember their stay with us. We hope you give us another opportunity to serve you.

S.Nelson
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 20, 2014

This was a great stay for our softball team. The staff provided us with a place to gather during bad weather so we could hang out together. The children all had fun in the pool. Breakfast was good and the staff were very friendly. We look forward to staying there again next year.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jeff S
Dear Jeff S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay here at America's Best Value Inn. I am very delighted you enjoyed your stay and to have earned such a good review from you. I am pleased to hear that our staff made accommodations for you during the bad weather. We are also pleased to hear you enjoyed our relaxing pool and our complimentary continental breakfast. Thank you for your compliments it shows we are doing a great job connecting with our guests. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

S.Nelson
Reviewed June 7, 2014

I want to start off by saying that we are not picky people. We know that picking a cheaper hotel means not as many amentities but it should still be somewhat pleasant for the 6 or 7 total hours of the 2 days we spent in the room. We booked a room for two nights and figured we would bare the 45 minute drive to the beach so we wouldn't have to worry about being around a bunch of drunk kids on the boardwalk. Well, I would take drunk kids over this hotel any day. I would list a couple good things but wouldn't want to mislead you. The back of the bathroom door was disgusting and inside the toilet bowl had black stains. I'm not sure if it's the cleaner they use or what but have never seen black stains from a cleaner, which shows they do not clean well. The small refrigerator keeps opening by itself whichever the front desk said they would get fixed...did not get fixed. We got up in the morning and headed for the beach. We left our memory foam pillows and some soaps from home in the bathroom but took pretty much everything else with us. We were on the boardwalk until 12:00 and returned to the hotel, uh, motel I'll call it, only to find we could not get in our room. We tried the cards about 13 times. Went to the lobby that says is open all night and it was locked. Called customer service and they finally let us in the lobby. We got new keys and felt relieved.....until we stepped into our room and found both of the memory foam pillows ($80.00 per pillow) and all of our soaps were gone. So we went back to the front desk to let them know and they said to let the manager know in the A.M. As we were walking out of the lobby we noticed a sign that says "this hotel is not reasponsible for any lost or stolen property". Ha..what a sign when you have thieves working for you. Basically since we only left those couple things in our room they thought we already checked out even though we were staying one more night. We were very pleased with ourselves for taking everything else with us. I think either they have nice rooms for people that leave good feedback or the good feedback is from their own staff. I never leave feedback but figured it was worth helping someone else trying to save $100.00. I guess when you have to say "Best" in the name of the hotel that would be the only thing that would lead people to reserve a room. Ah...the power of words to make it feel like a good choice. America's, Best, and value. That won't happen again. This hotel has been crossed off our list, our employees list and any family we share this experience with. Thanks for reading!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
7 Thank Kris G
Dear Chris G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable review. We sincerely apologize that you found your stay disappointing. The experiences you described are not characteristic of the level of service our colleagues strive to provide, and we apologize your stay was unsatisfactory. We are so sorry that you had to experience the problems you encountered after returning from a relaxing day at the beach. Our staff assumed you checked out early due to all your belongings being gone out of the room. In our business we do experience guests checking out early without notifying staff. Unfortunately, this was one of those times, and for that we are very sorry. Your feedback was shared with our team, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed your expectations.

Dover, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 28, 2014

If you want a clean safe to stay, it is great. Needs a little repair and updating. For the dollar it's a great deal to be close to the beach but out of the craziness of young adults at the beach. A good decent room for a reasonable price.

Room Tip: If you have disability or mind walking, ask to stay upfront in main building.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
AMBVISBY, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Dear Bk,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review on your stay. Also, thank you for the kind words relating to the hotel itself. Although we are an older hotel we do take pride in offering consistent friendly service and clean, comfy rooms. It is our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.

Regards