Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in St. Michaels
Reviewed April 6, 2006

My wife, 8 year old son and I spent two nights at the Inn at Perry Cabin the last week of March, 2006. I would recommend the hotel to discerning travellers.

We had a suite, in the newer portion of the hotel. Both rooms were large by any standard, and had doors out to a private balcony. The furnishings were ample and comfortable. The bed and bath linens were of first order. Our suite had one half bath and one full bath -- and both were good sized and well-lighted.

My sole complaint with the living room and bedroom was lighting. All the light bulbs I could see were only 60 watts -- not enough, in my opinion, for comfortable reading in the evening. I complained, and although the facilities engineer apologized for not having a light bulb greater than 60 watts, he satisfied my complaint by bringing me a second lamp for the easy chair in the living room. With service like that, I was satisfied -- but still object in principle to hotels that skimp on lighting.

My only other critical observation is that the carpet installation in the new addition is very poor -- with seams and threads showing in lots of places. I'll bet the hotel will take care of it soon, given the overall level of service.

We had two breakfasts and one dinner at the hotel. The food was very good. Dinner was pricey by local standards, but in my view worth the price.

The staff was extremely solicitous and gracious -- going out of their way to ask if we needed anything, and making arrangements for us as necessary.

I'll be back.

• Stayed: March 2006
6  Thank OrrvilleRedRider
Write a ReviewReviews (1,092)

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 13, 2006

My boyfriend and I had a wonderful getaway weekend at Perry Cabin. We are rather young, only 22, so we were concerned that we would feel very out of place. Maybe it was because we went in the beginning of March so the Inn was not too crowded, but we felt very welcomed. A porter informed us that the movie "Wedding Crashers" was filmed in and around the Inn. We came in on the Winter Jazzy Nights package which included an amazing 3 course meal. There was a live band playing hits from Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin with couples getting up periodically to dance. We had a Studio room (#76) with the most breathtaking view of the water. The room had a fireplace which was nice but it was ill-placed because it was so close to the end of the bed that the footboard blocked it. The room had a giant bathroom with a walk-in shower and a sizable bathtub perfect for a relaxing bubble bath. The stay was rather expensive (about $600) but we were lucky to have been given a gift certificate - I'm not sure if I would be willing to spend so much money on one night but I did love every second! It was a very romantic and relaxing evening and I would come back in a heartbeat if we had the money!

• Stayed: March 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 16, 2006

We went with 2 other couples for a relaxing weekend without the kids. We all stayed in the older part of the inn, and all three of our "state rooms" were large suite-sized rooms with fireplaces (candles only), lofts, antique wardrobes, and/or other interesting features. VERY comfortable.

The staff at the inn was cheerful and competent, even for the few special requests we had. The inn and restaurant have a snooty feel, but it did NOT translate into our interactions with any of the staff, with the exception of the bartenders in the pub.

We could occaisonally hear folks in other rooms, but it was not a problem at all.
We drank wine and laughed late into the night, and nobody complained about us.

The flowers we ordered for the room through the inn would have cost us twice as much at a florist in DC, and they're still going strong a week later.
The deep tissue massages were better than other spa/resort massages we've had.

Sherwood's Landing was very good and a little more expensive than comparable restaurants in DC, but I can't say the food was particularly memorable. The crispy spring rolls were good. I remember it being tough finding a bottle of wine under $100.

• Stayed: February 2006
8  Thank DCHBK
Reviewed December 28, 2005

We just returned from a mini-sojourn at the Inn -- one night on our way to friend's in Chincoteague -- to celebrate a birthday and the end of a remarkable year. The room was lovely, the bed so very comfortable and the service impeccable. The food was exquisitely presented and delectable. All in all, relaxing and worth every penny.

Stayed: December 2005
4  Thank Adele K
Wynnewood, PA
Reviewed December 27, 2005

My wife and I first discovered that magical Perry Cabin feeling in 1994, enjoyed many return visits, became engaged on the front lawn, culminated with our beautiful wedding in November 1998. Including our visits, wedding planning weekends, family and guests attending our wedding, we can proudly claim over 100 Perry Cabin room nights.

We returned several weeks ago to celebrate our 7th Anniversary weekend. Sad that it had been a year between visits.

While we are proud that Perry Cabin is our special spot, and we are honored to be among repeating guests, Perry Cabin provides special service and attention to every detail to its guests.

We have such a genuine affinity for Perry Cabin!

Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Charleston, SC
Reviewed December 26, 2005

I visited The Inn at Perry Cabin just before Christmas 2005. What a beautiful time of year to be in St. Michaels! The hotel was fantastically decorated and the service was extrodinary. I was extremely impressed with the beautiful sunset over the Miles River as I checked into my room. My favorite part of my studio room was the fireplace and the heated marble floors in my bathroom.

The cuisine in Sherwood's Landing was phenomenal. I really enjoyed the Lobster Spring Rolls and Crab Cake.

Overall, my experience was fantastic. I would return again without question.

Fyi-Great place for a romantic getaway or anniversary.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 23, 2005

My wife and I were looking for a romantic get-away in honor of our 20th wedding aniversary, and we chose the Inn based on a friend's and the Advisor's recommendations.

Simply put...everyone was right. The Inn is superb, the service was outstanding, our room was beautiful, and our stay was perfect.

My only BUT to this is to warn people booking a "Sweet Hibernations Special" on Expedia or through the Inn's website that they don't properly explain about the magnitude of the extra charges.

For reference, the "Sweet Hibernations Special" package we booked included the room, breakfast, afternoon tea, and dinner. And, for reference, all the meals were all excellent.

Now, as for the extra charges, I expected those to mean things like appropriate state/city taxes and anything above the basics that I ordered. However, in this case, it also meant gratuities on the implied value of all the meals, e.g., the $60 fixed price dinner has another 18% added to it...likewise, breakfast and tea. For the two nights we were there, it added almost an extra 18% to our bill...which considering the base price turned out to be a lot of money.

I pass this information along not because I feel that the cost wasn't worth it. As a matter of fact, if they had told me how much it was going to be from the start, I still would have gone and felt like I got my money's worth. I'm just disappointed that the extras weren't spelled out better on the Expedia site, or at the Inn's website or at check-in.

So...bottom line...great place and worth the price. Just don't be fooled by the Expedia price

• Stayed: October 2005
#1 of 1 in Oxford
St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa
Wades Point Inn on the Bay
Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina

Been to Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond? Share your experiences!