“Excellent service, relaxing stay”

Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in St. Michaels
Reviewed March 8, 2014

The title says it all. what mad the service excellent: friendly staff in all directions, from the bellman, to concierge, to the servers and hostess in the restaurants. We were there in a snow storm and when we were set to leave we discovered that our car had been cleared of snow, and windows scraped nearly 100% free of ice. The food is bit overpriced ($40 for a steak) but it was the BEST filet mignon I've ever had. Breakfast was also pricey but we were seated right next to the window overlooking the water and the service was fantastic...never once had a dry coffee cup, the food was served promptly and all the ingredients were fresh and overall everything we had was very tasty. The best thing of all is that the 2nd night we stayed due to the snow storm, they offered us half off our first night rate. That was above and beyond in my opinion which is what you expect from an inn of this caliber. Some things could have been improved, like removing the broken chain in the claw foot tub...it's safety hazard and I could have cut myself if I had not been careful, re-grouting the tile floor in the bathroom since it was well beyond time for that to be done and badly stained. The bathroom tile floor was heated so that was a nice plus. The only thing I'd like is that small items be available in the main inn like lotions and other specialty items for purchase so guests don't have to go to the spa to shop.

Room Tip: make sure you get a room with a fireplace and soaking tub.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
BrianPlaska, Director of Sales at Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear foodwise,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent visit to The Inn at Perry Cabin. I was pleased to read that you had such a pleasant and relaxing stay. I was especially pleased to read your kind words about our staff members.

I have shared with our Engineering and Housekeeping departments your mention of the tile and grout situation in your room and we will address that immediately.

We do hope that you will visit us again soon.

Brian Plaska

Write a ReviewReviews (1,099)

Reviewed March 7, 2014

We have been at the Inn at Perry Cabin several times and always enjoyed our stay.
No matter the season is a wonderful place to enjoy a relaxing time; Staff are very friendly, food is delicious and particular enjoy the breakfast, the accommodations are lovely, just walking around the peaceful property is an escape from reality.

Room Tip: One with balcony

Dear RaiCharles,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent visit to The Inn at Perry Cabin. We are pleased to learn that once again you had an enjoyable visit and we do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

This place was absolutely stunning. The decor was impecable, the staff was friendly and helpful, the bed was so comfortable, the views were stunning. It was freezing while we were there but the atmosphere was so beautiful and relaxing I wish we could have stayed longer. Really enjoyed breakfast at Sherwood's with beautiful view and baby daffodils on the table, afternoon tea in library was delightful. Can't wait to go back. Thank you Perry Cabin for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: room 7 had beautiful 180 degree water views with private deck
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
BrianPlaska, Director of Sales at Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear gwen h,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent visit to The Inn at Perry Cabin. We are pleased to learn that you had such an enjoyable visit and we do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed at the Inn at Perry Cabin for the weekend to celebrate my wife's birthday. A warm thank you to Kelley for making us feel welcome, wishing my wife a happy birthday upon arrival and upgrading our room to a junior suite. Birthday Cake and chocolate strawberries were on the table in the room. The suite was beautiful with view of the Miles River and a terrace. Linden Spa staffers were very courteous and accommodating. Afternoon tea was an enjoyable step back in time as we had tea sandwiches and great scones and pastries with all the creams and jellies. Breakfast is in a nice room but is average. The staff overall at the Inn go out of their way to make you feel great about staying there. First winter trip there which of course is different from spring when the flowers are in bloom and the grounds are green, but I highly recommend staying here and spending some time in St Michael's. Thank you to the manager (Stephanie I believe) for your hospitality as well. Finally, for dining off-site, I also highly recommend Gina's and 208 Talbot and the Rise Up Coffee kiosk just outside of town which has the best coffee ever.

Dear AdviseandConsent,

Thank you for selecting The Inn at Perry Cabin for your wife's birthday. I was pleased to learn that you had such an enjoyable visit and we do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

My husband and I have stayed numerous times at the Inn since it's opening in the early 1990s. Our last visit was in April 2012 and we left disappointed by a lack of good service as well as below average experiences in the dining room. However, I am happy to say that a return visit for one night over the Presidents holiday weekend yielded a much happier experience.

Looking for a break from our exceptionally bad winter we found a snow-free St. Michaels. Also having never visited in February before we found the town to be "open" and welcoming to visitors.

We had booked the Winter Indulgence package at the hotel and found things to be once again up to par. The service was exceptional and the dining room was vastly improved from our prior visit.

We now look forward to many return visits to the Inn at Perry Cabin.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Pamela M,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent visit to The Inn at Perry Cabin. I was pleased to read that your recent visit was so much better than your previous stay in 2012. As you stated, much has changed here and I am pleased to see that those changes we have made resulted in a much improved experience for you.

We do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed at the Inn at Perry Cabin for two nights in mid-February. It was my fourth time at the resort, all for business, and I will be back again next month for another multi-day business meeting.

Maybe it was because of the season--midwinter--but this stay was the best ever. The low occupancy rate ensured us excellent room rates, attentive service, and the run of the resort. For our meeting, we rented a board room next to the dining room. It was quiet and had a great view of the water, plus a door to the outside. Wait staff were conscientiously discreet when bringing in refreshments and removing used items.

Food was excellent. Colleagues raved about the various creamed soups, and the crabcakes had almost no filler that I could discern. The room was quaint but modern--like a B&B with satellite TV. The shower offered good pressure and hot water. I really liked the hot apple cider available inside the main entrance of the hotel.

Guests can freely use bicycles, which is a great feature. I took one to Tilghman's Island and back, which is about 25 miles round trip. It was about 40 degrees out, and I would recommend gloves because of the wind. Otherwise you're good with a sweatshirt and/or windbreaker. The road is very flat, so the ride isn't arduous. However, the bike has only one speed, so it's hard to sustain velocity without pedaling furiously. If you bike to Tilghman's, understand that there is very little between the Inn and the island. After you pass the lobster restaurant about a mile outside of St. Michael's, there really isn't anywhere to get food or drink till you get to the island. There are some pretty farms and homesteads, though.

Take advantage of the slow winter business to get a good deal!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank mgips
BrianPlaska, Director of Sales at Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear mgips,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent visit to The Inn at Perry Cabin. I was pleased to read that once again you had an enjoyable visit and that you will be back to see us again next month.

Thank you for your continued patronage and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed at the Inn at Perry Cabin for a long weekend in late February 2014. I have stayed at this hotel before. I have always thought it lovely but always had some major concerns about service, food, etc. They are doing a terrific job. My latest stay was wonderful especially as the quality of the food and service seem to have vastly improved. Small quibbles still remain, but generally high marks all around for a wonderfully relaxing and luxurious weekend.

My wife and I stayed in a suite (#46) with lovely waterfront views. Generally, the room was in excellent shape and very attractively decorated… water and sailing themed. There was a very comfortable bed a huge bathroom and a nice sitting room with a fireplace where we had room-service provided breakfast every morning. Quibbles here: some aspects of the room were a bit tired. While everything seemed to be very clean, there was a decorative throw-pillow on the bed that had obvious spots/stains. Some of the curtains in both the bedroom and sitting room seemed to be coming away from the curtain hooks. In the bathroom, there needed to be some rubber or something between the bottom of the shower door and tile floor as water seemed to pour out into the bathroom while showering. The toilet in the suite’s powder room seemed to take a long-time to fill up. Clearly, in that suite, some updating/general maintenance is in order

However, having said that (and we communicated all of these issues to management which appeared receptive if not immediately responsive), however, we were very comfortable and loved the room and the views.

On previous visits, we had some complaints about the quality of the food. This is an expensive hotel and food should be good. Now it is. I gather there is a new chef (last year or so) and the quality of the food has increased dramatically. Every meal we had was a pleasure. The service was professional, attentive and excellent in everyway.

The quality of the service, generally, is also top notch. Very nice people, friendly and working hard to make the visit pleasant. We particularly enjoyed two special programs that the restaurant presented – a demonstration of how to take a cork off a bottle of Champaign/Cava with a saber and a demonstration of how to open a bottle of port with traditional port tongs. Both were fun – especially the port tong demonstration.

We had very nice and reasonably priced spa treatments. The spa facilities are very good and the service excellent. We also used and liked the gym... though it is mostly bikes, elipticals and treadmills. One quibble here is that it was hard to find headphones for the sound system. When we asked, the staff came in and with a sanitized towelette washed down a used pair. Hmmm. We used them but it made me a little uncomfortable.

One other concern: my wife took a tumble on a step. We found out from another guest that she too had fallen on the same step. It indicates that the something should likely be done to make that step safer. My wife was bruised but otherwise ok (though it could have been much worse for someone less steady on their feet). Unfortunately, we thought that the hotel management was somewhat indifferent to the potential hazard of the situation and to the pain my wife suffered. To their credit, they were more than willing to call a doctor or even get her to a medical facility. However, save for scrapes and bruises she was otherwise ok and didn’t want to sacrifice the weekend by going to a doctor. We both felt, however, that it wouldn’t have been out of place for the hotel to send some flowers or enquire after her condition post reporting the incident, in other words some indication that the management both understood the hazard and that my wife was hurt in the fall. In any event, I hope they look closely at that particular step to improve its safety.

Again, though, I want to stress that overall the hotel is lovely, attentive and very, very comfortable. They have worked hard to make it better and even more sophisticated and service-oriented. We well happily return and happily recommend to friends.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
BrianPlaska, Director of Sales at Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear DCroamer,

Thank you for you detailed review of your recent visit to The Inn at Perry Cabin. I am delighted to see that your overall stay was wonderful and you were able to experience the charm and beauty of our property.

Thank you for your comments about room 46. I have informed our housekeeping department and they will see to it that the issues you mentioned are corrected.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your dining experience as prepared by our Executive Chef, Daniel Pochron. Chef Pochron has indeed added a new dimension to the dining experience to complement the stunning setting of Sherwood's Landing.

Our Resort Activities Program is very popular with our guests and I was happy to hear that you enjoyed the Champagne Sabrage and the traditional Portuguese method of opening a bottle of port.

I was concerned to read about your wife tripping on a step. I do hope that she is OK and I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly about this incident. At your convenience, please do feel free to contact me either via email at bplaska@perrycabin.com or via phone at 410-745-2200.

Again, thank you for your kind words about your recent visit and we do hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Michaels
The Old Brick Inn
The Old Brick Inn
#1 of 13 in St. Michaels
Wades Point Inn on the Bay

Been to Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond? Share your experiences!