“wonderful property, but watch out for hidden charges”

Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in St. Michaels
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed at the Inn at Perry Cabin for two nights in November. The Inn is beautifully situated. If you go, splurge and book a waterfront suite, well worth the additional cost. The suite featured a half bath in addition to a very large, luxurious full bath with a large, deep tub (sadly however, not a whirlpool tub) in addition to the separate shower. It also had a pair of sinks, nice, thick towels, and TWO closets. The king bed was very comfortable. We also had breakfast both mornings of our stay, once through room service and on the day of our departure at the Inn's restaurant. Both experiences were excellent. So, if a breakfast is included among the packages offered (We chose the "suite deal" instead), it should be considered. The grounds are expansive, great for dogs, and the Inn is pet friendly, EXCEPT THAT when we arrived, we learned upon being handed a pet agreement form to sign that we were to be assessed a $150.00 cleaning fee upon check out. To be fair, when I complained about this as a hidden charge, not mentioned on the Inn's website or when booking by phone, my request that the charge be waived was promptly granted. The Inn also assesses a 10% resort fee, which means of course that the better the accommodation, the higher the fee. In our experience, such fees are generally a set price, not pegged to the room charge. Moreover, in November, mid-week, there were no events or activities to warrant the charge.

Room Tip: Pay for the waterfront suite, second floor if possible
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank courcierwilkins
Chris S, Director of Operations at Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback. I certainly appreciate the comments about your breakfast experience and I completely agree with you about our Waterfront Suites and their views. I sincerely apologize that you were not told about the pet fee. I have shared your comments about the hidden fees with my Director of Sales and Marketing. Our reservations office is usually very up front with our fee's. The pet fee is posted on our website under the hotels facilities and garden area, but we can certainly look into having it displayed more prominently on our website for our guests who bring in pets. We certainly have no desire to hide any fees from our guests or have any guest surprised with an extra fee that they were not expecting. I am very happy that our Front Desk Agent was able to rectify the situation with you.

Thank you again for your excellent feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Inn at Perry Cabin in the near future.

The Inn at Perry Cabin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,092)

Reviewed December 12, 2012

We made an off season trip to the area and decided to take advantage of a special the Inn was offering for a mid week stay and had a wonderful time. The Inn was not crowded the two days we stayed so we were upgraded to room nineteen which has a great view of the river and a small bay near the inn, the deck off the room was a nice place to talk, read and watch the world drift by on the river. Service was consistently excellent and the staff friendly and seemed to really enjoy their jobs, Inn was beautifully decorated for the holidays. We had dinner at Sherwood's Landing and had an very good meal with superb service.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gymdawgfan
Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is a lovely inn that does everything well: service is pleasant and attentive, the food is very good (although even one vegetarian option would be welcome), the rooms are clean and nicely furnished and the view is relaxing.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Clairedog
Chris S, Director of Operations at Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

Thank you very much for your kind review. I am very happy that you were able to find peace and relaxation while staying with us! I apologize that we did not make you aware of our vegetarian and vegan options that we have here. Our Executive Chef is extremely accommodating with all requests for either preference. Please feel free to contact me personally next time so that I can have our Chef develop a special menu for your stay next time. My email address is csullivan@perrycabin.com or please feel free to call me at 410-745-2200.

I look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed November 27, 2012

FIrst of all the good things, a stunning building, beautiful scenery, and in general very helpful staff,we loved ST Michaels the whole harbour area was lovely and the town quaint and inviting, lovely architecture all around, plenty of lovely places to walk around and admire. The hotel is a grand old lady, the public areas are lovely, on arrival we were shown our room and i must say i was very disappointed in was in the main section of the hotel on the ground floor and it did have a lovely view with a door leading to a very pretty patio area i think, posibly room 1 or 2i cant remember exactly, the room was well appointed but very narrow and dark, which is not what i wanted, also very close to the bar and main restaurant, noise! The one thing i really appreciate is quiet.However the young women on the front desk was vey helpful and offed us another room for a larger fee, we declined and we were offered another room on the ground floor with a waterview, we accepted this room 24 large airy bright, and with an outside patio, it was charming and extremly comfortable, alas the bathroom was cold and tiny, but there again this is an old property and everything did work well plenty of hotwater etc. The bed was very comfortable infact so comfortable i did not really want to leave it.Noise levels were a little frustrating but nothing too bad.
We did have a flat screen TV. We had our Thanksgiving lunch in the main restaurant, I cannot say it was great, but our waitress (Tifini ) i think was fab and made it special. However we did bare in mind cooking thansgiving lunch for over 200people was not easy, The pursers pub food was excellent even if we found the menu a little strange, that maybe because we are Europeans not Americans. Overall if you wish to go somewhere with beautiful views, is old and glamourous and you dont mind small bathrooms etc then this is a fab place to go, if i have the opportunity of visiting again i will defiantely stay but will book a room on the upper floors with a terrace overlooking the water. We loved it.PEt friendly too.

Room Tip: notroom 2 or 3check with them what rooms are available before you book.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank barnyardMoraira
Chris S, Director of Operations at Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback, I truly appreciate it. I apologize that the first room given to you was not to your expectations. I am glad we found a room for you that worked better however and room 24 is a great room as you stated. You stayed in our historic section of the hotel and some of the rooms in this section do have smaller bathrooms. Our "A" building, Ariel Building and Caldonia building were built back in 2002 and have much larger bathrooms. Please feel free to ask for a room in one of these buildings.

I also apologize that our Thanksfiving dinner was not to your expectations. While we did almost 300 dinners for Thanksgiving, our goal is for every guest to leave 100% satisfied. I have shared your comments with our Executive Chef and Food and Beverage Director about Thanksgiving and our Pub.

Once again, thank you very much for your insightful feedback and comments. I truly appreciate it. Please feel free to contact me at 410-745-2200 ext 246 or via email at csullivan@perrycabin.com if you think of anything else or if you wish to speak to me further.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

I have waited 11 months to write this review, not really wanting to relive the events. However I decided to as a cautionary tale for families celebrating Christmas outside of their own home at a hotel. My family have been devoted fans of the Inn at Perry Cabin, visiting almost yearly for 20 years, once reserving most of the Inn for a remarkable birthday weekend, and recommending its charms to countless friends who then visited. This is a beautiful Orient Express property on the banks of the Miles River, off of Chesapeake Bay in St. Michaels, Maryland, (we started visiting when it was owned by Sir Bernard and Lady Laura Ashley.) The grounds are extraordinarily peaceful, there is a new spa, an outdoor swimming pool, many complimentary bikes, and a beautiful dining room and a variety of fine chamber rooms.
Last Christmas we decided to celebrate in a special way and reserved 3 rooms to take our children and mates, all in their 20's. We piled the car high with all our presents and had a great evening opening gifts in each of the suites and then going to dinner. Later, my daughter realized all her presents were missing, including all the opened gift boxes, wrapping paper and bows and all her holiday cards. She had left them in a large pile next to the couch in the suite, on the floor. The only waste basket in that living room suite was across the room next to the desk. We went to the lobby to speak with the person on desk duty, with my daughter sobbing. After investigation, we were told that the cleaning staff had thrown it out and it was in a dumpster that had been compacted. While jewelry comprised many gifts, what hit hardest was that my daughter's boyfriend had spent months writing and drawing a book, including many mementos, and having it bound. We asked to be able to go through the dumpster, but were told that could not be permitted but a hotel member of the managers staff would do so. The book was located in the dumpster and returned. I asked about the jewelry and cards etc. and was told I was not greatful for someone going through the disgusting work of looking in the dumpster and I could just submit a bill and receipts for the gifts and an accommodation would be made on our bill.
Obviously it was a major error in housekeeping training for this to occur, but the Inn could have salvaged a bad situation by treating us with respect and caring. The general manager, who we were told was on premises during our nights there, never spoke with us, and in fact never returned my calls. I was told that they were aware of our status as retuning guests and had shown us accommodation by going through the dumpster. We were made to feel as if this was all our fault. I don't think I ever had any item in any hotel room that was not placed in a garbage receptacle thrown out by cleaning staff. Yet never once during the ensuing 11 months did we ever hear from the Inn. As we choose where to go this year to celebrate the holidays, we wonder if we will ever return to the Inn that holds so many fond memories and one major distressing one.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
15  Thank SheriSR
Chris S, Director of Operations at Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am very sorry for the issues you had here while staying with us. While I am very happy we were able to find the book, I am disappointed that we did not find the jewelry as well. I am also very disappointed that no one has followed up with you about this. Please be assured that I have shared your comments with my Director of Housekeeping and we have changed our processes here to ensure we do not have another incident such as this.

I would like to personally apologize for this issue and hear more about your stay. Please feel free to call me at 410-745-2200 ext. 246 or email me at csullivan@perrycabin.com.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I'm writing this review, because I stayed here about a year ago when visiting the area for the St. Michaels winery. I loved everything about this hotel, form the greating when we first walked in the hotel, to the bell men helping us to our room with the bags, to the wonderful view of the garden in our room. I will say that at that time the hotel needed to upgrade some of the aminites, such as the tv in the room, and bedding. For the cost of $400+ it was turly worth every penny. We came back to St. Michaels this year for my birthday and couldn't stay at The Inn At Perry Cabin, and it was terrrible. I will never make that mistake again, you get what you pay for and this place sets the bar.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Danielle G
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We really enjoyed the Inn at Perry Cabin. It was the perfect weekend getaway, and it was still nice enough outside to enjoy the grounds and bike to the town. We stayed in a very cool water-view room that had an upstairs loft that was perfect for reading. The room was very comfortable - the bed was heavenly - and the views were very, very nice. Our room was in the same building as the lobby/reception and restaurant, which was very convenient. I didn't think it felt old or shabby. I detected no funky smell that other reviewers noticed. Maybe the cooler weather allowed any mildew smell to abate. The restaurant was excellent for breakfast, and we enjoyed tea one afternoon. Big thumbs up on both. We ate dinner in the pub one night, and it was tasty. Dinner in the restaurant was okay. I guess I was expecting all the way top shelf. It wasn't. But it was okay. The spa was absolutely fantastic. Wonderful, par excellence treatments, setting, and overall experience. We were in heaven. The only thing that marred the experience was an impatient, slightly loud receptionist who also restocked the relaxation room. She was a little fast-talking, fast-moving in the wood-floor area, creating some racket and break from, well, relaxing. The front desk folks were incredibly helpful and friendly, as was the bell staff. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SGTrvlr
Chris S, Director of Operations at Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Thank you so much for your feedback. It appears you stayed in one of our Bi-Level suites, which were just renovated last May. I am glad you were able to enjoy our grounds and the town of St. Michael with this fabulous weather we have been having.

I apologize that your dinner experience did not wow you and that we had someone in our lobby disturbing you. I have passed on your comments to my department heads and we will continue further training. We take our service standards very seriously and want to ensure all facets of every guests stay are impeccable and a "wow" experience.

Thank you again for your feedback and wonderful comments!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

The Inn at Perry Cabin

#1 of 1 in Oxford
St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa
Wades Point Inn on the Bay
Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina

Been to Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond? Share your experiences!