“Anniversary Getaway”

Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in St. Michaels
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Our time at The Inn at Perry Cabin exceeded all our expectations. Our room was breathtaking, the food was exceptional, and the hotel staff was charming, available, and very personable. Beyond being on the chesapeake and the beautiful gardens on the property, I would say that the highlight for me was being able to ride a bike around town and explore all that St. Michael's has to offer!
I highly recommend The Inn at Perry Cabin...it is money well spent!

Nina & Jim Bowdler

Room Tip: we were upgraded to room #17 which has a water view and is just beautiful!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nina D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,099)

Reviewed October 2, 2012

This is definitely a place to stay for a special occasion. They have an extremely friendly and helpful staff. Just an example- when the lady brought in our breakfast (room service) she asked if the blinds were letting in enough light and if she could adjust them. She also noticed the yolk was broken on my eggs and asked if I would like her to get another. Obviously, small details but when every staff member acts like that it adds up!
Not to mention the hotel and grounds are absolutely gorgeous! The hotel is rather large and spread out- so it’s nice just to walk the grounds. We spent some time just lounging out on the lawn over-looking the bay, playing bocce, and walking through the garden. We did not have time to play croquet or ride the bikes- but they both looked fun.
We had dinner at Sherwood’s Landing, which I would say was very good but not amazing. It’s also a little more casual than we expected (I think I saw someone in jeans??). The service was great but the food wasn’t anything special.
I think the best review I can give is to say that I would go back in a second and cannot wait for another special occasion to do so!

Room Tip: We were in the main house- suite 4 and it was amazing! A huge room with a private terrace and view...
1  Thank MKKKTravelers
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The hotel is beautiful. The spa treatment was great. The location is stunning. The grounds are meticulously maintained (loved the bocci court.) The rooms are tastefully decorated. Our only problem was that the food wasn't as good as it should have been (at any price.) Also, the service wasn't great. The food at breakfast and dinner took forever and then came out cold. Both times, the waitresses didn't check on our table in the meantime. For over $600 a night, the television in the room was old, lacked premium cable channels and didn't offer movies to rent. That being said, the room was lovely. It's just at the prices they charge, the place should offer superior service and amenities. Overall, loved St. Michael's and we're glad we went to The Inn at Perry Cabin. Not too sure we'll spend the money there again though.

3  Thank drawingdebbie
Chris S, Director of Operations at Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback. I too love our new bocci court and I hope you were able to enjoy a round of croquet. I appreciate your comments about our TV's. We have been slowly phasing these old TV's out and hope to have the entire hotel done by early 2013.

I am disappointed to hear about your experiences in the restaurant, however. I can understand your frustration with the cold food and the inattention you received from our waitstaff. I can assure you that I have shared your experience with my Food and Beverage team and that we have sat down with the team to go over our standards again.

I would like to apologize and discuss your stay with us personally if I may. Please feel free to call me at 410-745-2200 ext 246 or email me at csullivan@perrycabin.com at your convenience.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope I can welcome you back to The Inn at Perry Cabin.

Chris Sullivan
Director of Operations
The Inn at Perry Cabin

Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed for two nights in August. Our room/junior suite in the main house was fine. It appears to have been recently redecorated and met all of our expectations. The Inn itself is charming and offers many relaxing spots, both inside and out. Management, however, needs some work. Though staff was very pleasant and certainly tried to be helpful, many are new and have questionable training. We had a few disturbing problems: 1) When we were close and somewhat lost,we called for specific driving directions. There was no one in the entire Inn who could be found with any information. In the end we were provided with incorrect directions. 2) The weather was beautiful and we decided to go to the pool after lunch. It was completely full - no lounges or even chairs available. We were told we could not be accommodated and had to go elsewhere. Since I made an issue at the front desk, my name and cell number was given to the outdoor activities manger. Somehow a short time later she was able to find seating and convinced us to return. On her own she takes care of the pool, serving food, providing towels, greeting guests, planning activities - is a one person team. In the end, we had a wonderful afternoonh.
I would also ask for prices at the bar - an enjoyable scene but quite pricy.
Regardless of the problems we encountered, I would return for one or two nights.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nancy M
Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

2 nights of pure heaven at a great spot on the Chesapeake. We kept our boat on the premises and tried to catch some rock fish two mornings. The hotel staff could not have been more helpful for anytime we needed. Master suite on 3rd floor of caledonia was gorgeous! We had a pretty water view and were not disappointed in anything about St. Michaels or the inn! Would love to come back. Hope we can!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Laurie P
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Inn is gorgeous and the location spectacular. The service, however, is completely sub-par. The concierge was unhelpful, the restaurant maitre d downright grumpy, housekeeping negligent, and room service unreliable. We enjoyed ourselves for the beauty of the spot, despite the service messing up basically everything that was in their control. (Oh, and the description says there is Wi-Fi in the rooms; but the signal is so weak that effectively there is not.)

1  Thank travelmom_md_12
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I will not go back to this property because the value simply is not there. People love it, but it was not what we expected. I think it probably depends on your style of travel but I wouldn't spend that kind of money there again.

Service: Concierge was very helpful and we were greeted by very friendly staff. No complaints there. The restaurant staff, on the other hand, was just awful. Breakfast took forever. There are plenty of staff milling about, but they really need to get it together. It is very frustrating to wait 10 minutes to get coffee ordered and another 20 minutes to get the check. It happened three days in a row.

Rooms: We stayed in a master suite. Just ok. Odd floor plans, outdated decor. Comfortable and quiet enough. The bathroom/ closet area was fantastic. The whole room should be up to that standard. Nice turn-down service.

Grounds: The pool is lovely, the gardens are perfect. It is a very pretty property. Peaceful and well-manicured.

Restaurants: I honestly cannot believe how poor the value is here. The bar serves food that tastes good, but it was clearly frozen. No way would I pay that kind of money for frozen food. It is also not very comfortable. Go into town, do not eat at the bar. I will say that the bar staff is very friendly and attentive and they appear to have a nice selection of scotch. The pool bar is nice and relaxing. I would recommend having a glass of wine and a snack there. Very very good service. I'll review Sherwood's Landing separately.

Spa: Go. It is light, airy and lovely. Truly relaxing with excellent staff. Have the concierge make an appointment for you when you arrive - it is wonderful.

I heard other guests rave about this inn, so maybe we are in the minority. At the end of the day, it just wasn't our style. I believe it should be crisper, cleaner and more up to date. I think it would be a good place to have a wedding, take family, or have a business retreat. It was not the romantic, couples weekend we were hoping for. It might be when we're older.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tidewater Inn
Tidewater Inn
#5 of 9 in Easton
Wades Point Inn on the Bay

Been to Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond? Share your experiences!