“Good, not great”

Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in St. Michaels
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I will not go back to this property because the value simply is not there. People love it, but it was not what we expected. I think it probably depends on your style of travel but I wouldn't spend that kind of money there again.

Service: Concierge was very helpful and we were greeted by very friendly staff. No complaints there. The restaurant staff, on the other hand, was just awful. Breakfast took forever. There are plenty of staff milling about, but they really need to get it together. It is very frustrating to wait 10 minutes to get coffee ordered and another 20 minutes to get the check. It happened three days in a row.

Rooms: We stayed in a master suite. Just ok. Odd floor plans, outdated decor. Comfortable and quiet enough. The bathroom/ closet area was fantastic. The whole room should be up to that standard. Nice turn-down service.

Grounds: The pool is lovely, the gardens are perfect. It is a very pretty property. Peaceful and well-manicured.

Restaurants: I honestly cannot believe how poor the value is here. The bar serves food that tastes good, but it was clearly frozen. No way would I pay that kind of money for frozen food. It is also not very comfortable. Go into town, do not eat at the bar. I will say that the bar staff is very friendly and attentive and they appear to have a nice selection of scotch. The pool bar is nice and relaxing. I would recommend having a glass of wine and a snack there. Very very good service. I'll review Sherwood's Landing separately.

Spa: Go. It is light, airy and lovely. Truly relaxing with excellent staff. Have the concierge make an appointment for you when you arrive - it is wonderful.

I heard other guests rave about this inn, so maybe we are in the minority. At the end of the day, it just wasn't our style. I believe it should be crisper, cleaner and more up to date. I think it would be a good place to have a wedding, take family, or have a business retreat. It was not the romantic, couples weekend we were hoping for. It might be when we're older.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank clh6262
There are newer reviews for Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Beautiful property, well appointed rooms, with every little extra touch though of. The hotel's many seating areas, inside and out, are cozy and have beautiful water virews. Food during our meeting was wonderful as we're the staff. I would highly recommend!

Room Tip: All rooms have their own unique ambiance so you can't lose.,
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JackiB0312
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My wife and I are kind of meandering around the Eastern United States.
We had found The Inn at Perry Cabin featured on one of our favorite
websites "Luxurylink" and booked a two night package which included a
deluxe room, breakfast each morning, a bottle of wine and a $100 credit towards
food or beverages purchased on the property. Entering IPC, you
encounter a brick paved driveway with many Linden trees. Absolutely
stunning. Then you come upon the white sided buildings that constitute
the inn. I know that this is typical of Eastern Seaboard properties, but it
is very warm and inviting to me. Our early check-in was not only accommodated,
but we were upgraded to a junior suite. I know that the less than full hotel
occupancy contributed to the upgrade, but they didn't have to and we really
appreciated that they did. Our room was beautiful and included just about
everything you could ask for. A very comfortable king sized bed, 2 easy chairs,
a large sized desk & chair, free wifi, 2 phones (one didn't work) a mini fridge
huge bathroom (well lit) with a claw foot tub and walk in shower, plus two sinks
and every bathroom amenity you could think of plus a heated tile floor, large
closet with space for 2 suitcases and a safe. My only gripe would be that the old
CRT TV at the end of the bed could only be viewed from the bed and did not have
good reception, but we didn't come to watch TV except the men's final of the US
Open. The room also had an instant on fireplace.

We barely fell under the $45 max set for our breakfast and I don't think we went
overboard. Both my wife and I had eggs and sausage with coffee and toast.
She had OJ and that was it. An expensive place, but that's part of the deal.
The dining room was absolutely georgeous with a view of the bay.

Tonight we'll try the Pursers Pub for dinner instead of the main dining room since
we might be ablle to squeeze under the $100 inclusion, plus the menu seems
to be a little more down to earth.

The grounds of the hotel are immaculate and beautiful. Someone working
everywhere, sweeping, raking, planting whatever. Flower gardens as well as
kitchen gardens, crochet, bocci, infinity pool (with bar and food service),
bicycles, kayaks, etc. The weather was absolutely beautiful and we had the
opportunity to just relax and watch all the boat traffic on the bay. Such a
serenne setting. Every inn employee we encountered was friendly and
outgoing.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending IPC to anyone and plan on returning some
day.

1  Thank garypcsc
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My wife and I spent a weekend here recently, and loved the place! The rooms are very nice, everything about this hotel is top notch. The pool is very nice and heated which was a pleasant surprise. The restaurant on site was very good too, but a little too expensive for what you get. They have nice gardens to walk thru, and beautiful views from the back lawn. So peaceful, to just sit in the adirondack chairs and look out over the water. It is a very relaxing place and just a short walk from down town. They offer a shuttle, but we preferred to walk, as it wasnt far at all. The staff was very friendly and polite. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone going to St. Michaels. You won't regret it!

Room Tip: Check for specials online. We got a suite for less than the cost of a standard room.
1  Thank TravlnGuy
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We've stayed in St. Michael's many times over the past 20+ years, and have always wanted to try the Inn. What a great experience. We had family and friends with us, and arrived via sailboat to find they're opened the pool early as the weather was so nice. Room was fantastic and accommodated whole family. Brunch in AM was wonderful. Only issue we had was with a grumpy bartender who'd been called in on day off. Otherwise, can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Check with American Express - they have deals on this hotel that make it well worth the call.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Mixed reviews on Tripadvisor made me a bit nervous about going to the Inn at Perry Cabin for four days. I am happy to report my apprehension was misplaced and IPC was superb. It reminded me of country house hotels in the UK. The facilities are first rate, pleasing to the eye and beautifully maintained; the staff oozed professionalism; the restaurant is truly a fine dining experience; and the crowd is a cut above. IPC is a place to treat yourself, rest, relax and restore.

At 75 rooms or so, IPC isn’t so small that you would feel rude not introducing yourself to fellow guests, but far smaller than behemoth resorts run by the chains. The setting on the bay couldn’t be prettier. The architecture is classic America east coast- white siding, columns and divided light windows. The décor is relaxed and comfortable, but superbly done with lots of detailing that ties it in with the sea. The sitting rooms are wonderful places to curl up with a book without fear of a waiter coming round every ten minutes to sell you the drink of the day. The Marriott commercial sales culture is nowhere to be seen.

Our room was huge with a wonderful view and a fireplace. That was great because we had four days of hot weather and 99% humidity and that devastates us Californians who don’t really know humidity. However, everything was so comfortable you could just chalk it up, hold up, relax and restore. We loved it.

The main restaurant is excellent, as is the service. We dined out twice at restaurants with Zagat food ratings of 26 and 27. Both were fair at best. We wish we had eaten at IPC every night. Service in general is very much of the low-key, but uber-professional, European variety, as opposed to the plastic Ritz-Carlton variety. What a joy!

Perry Cabin isn’t cheap, but it is worth every penny. Is it for everyone? Probably not. Party hearty types that envy the lives of the Jersey Shore cast would probably find it boring or in need of being a bit jazzier. Each to his own and the better for us.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

The Inn is well-known and highly rated hotel with a great reputation. So, of course, my husband and I had very high expectations for our very first stay...and I'm afraid to say The Inn fell a little short. First, the good: beautiful rustic decor, extremely pleasant and helpful staff, serene bay-front setting, and exceptional food. Where it fell short: the rooms are spacious and more comfortable than average/big-box hotels, which made for comfortable nights, and the bedtime cookies are a great touch. But where we had turn-down service the first night, we did not the second night until the maid knocked at 9:30pm! We commented on this, of course, and I have no doubt that was rectified. Also, we had problems with our room keys, which shockingly (a) could have been avoided (changed the locks before we arrived Friday but locksmith couldn't finish the job til Monday despite guests being expected for the weekend?!) and (b) could/should have been fixed quicker than the 24 hours it did. The spa had some great offerings and the relaxation room is the best I have ever been in...but I was forgotten for my 2nd treatment when a staff member was suddenly ill. Without question, they gave me a discount on the first treatment. All in all, yes, I would come again and recommend to others. But if you encounter any small problems, just be sure to stay on the staff u til fixed to your satisfaction...and maybe bring those expecttions down a bit.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Wades Point Inn on the Bay
Parsonage Inn
Parsonage Inn
#2 of 13 in St. Michaels

Been to Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond? Share your experiences!