“Great stay”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in St. Michaels
Princeton,NJ
“Great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2008

Checked in on Sunday night March 2nd.
When I asked about the view, I was immediately upgraded for free to a room with a seriously beautiful view over the water. Good business sense from the staff who know the hotel is almost empty at this time of year. It costs them nothing extra and gives the guest a real "feel good" at the start of the stay.
Restaurant staff very obliging, readily agreeing to switch/swap/merge items on the menu which sometimes doesn't happen in a very upscale restaurant. We had starter+entree, no alcohol for $100 for the two of us.
Fitness center was well equipped.
Spa looked very tempting but we didn't have the time.
Make sure you get the package that includes breakfast. It's definitely worth it. For us, it represented a saving of between $20-30 over just paying a la carte for breakfast.

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NorthSouth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Washington, DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2008

I really wanted to like this place but having stayed at a number of truly outstanding hotels, this just does not measure up. The biggest complaint by far is the restaurant - the food is just not good. The entrees are in the $30-37 range and the quality is in the $10-15 range. The crab chowder was gummy and heavy, the fried leeks on my scallops had hunks of flour in them, my husband's pork was cooked like shoe leather, etc. If I was going to Applebee's I'd deal - but at $100 per person it is just unacceptable. Even the breakfast was horrible, though. It was buffet and no waiters were seemingly responsible for any one table - so they all seemed to rushing by but never available to actually do anything for you. Also, the offering were dorm quality - I do expect better than mini-boxes of raisin bran and cold gritty pancakes at a place like this. That said, the dining room is spectacularly beautiful with the sweeping green lawn and water front just outside the huge windows. It makes me sad that they've ruined such a beautiful spot.
The rooms are just okay. Maybe our room wasn't that great and others are but it was just not luxury - nice but not luxury. You could see water stains in some spots on the ceiling and it just seemed slightly faded. The bathroom products were wonderful (Molton Brown) and overall it was good, just not great. Frankly, I would think this would appeal more to an older clientele.
The spa (Linden Spa) however, was unbelievably fantastic. The staff was professional and it the facilities were updated and immaculate. The best part is the relaxation room were you can sit on chaise lounges read magazines, drink tea, and look out on the grounds.
So if I were to do it over I would stay someplace cheaper, eat anywhere else (208 Talbot just around the corner was very very good), and do spa treatments all weekend. The place looks nice but everything was just off - even at checkout they had a table with coffee and tea with to-go cups, and of course it was empty and the garbage was piled high in the trash. Not a nice last impression. I do think it was very hard to overlook the flaws of the place in the off season as many of the stores are closed and outdoor activities are pretty much out. In the summer I could see overlooking the negatives, but then again the prices are much higher then.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dining
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank oscarfelix
MARYLAND
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2008

Brought my fiance there for a wonderful surprise! I was the one who was surprised! No longer is it the lovely, quaint Inn but now a sprawling conference center! I remembered the teas of past as being a wonderful display of culinary delights, all set out in the foyer. I was disappointed to see it half the size it used to be and set out in a room which held all the guests. It was cramped! The room we had was a garden room and quite lovely. Dinner was simply fabulous! We were treated to a wonderful meal, everything everyone told us and more! We had 2 breakfasts, one lunch, one dinner in the restaurant and one pub dinner and everything was superb! However, we concur with the first review; we felt that the staff was quite dour and not at all happy with their jobs. We thought the morale was very low and some staff members were haughty. It is highly unlikely we would stay there again; however, we would definitely go back for dinner.

Stayed January 2008
5 Thank LHM49
fairfax county
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2008

We celebrated our friends' 50th wedding anniversary at the Inn in Dec '07. The Inn, always lovely, was truly magnificent at Christmas. The decorations were tasteful, original, and sophisticated. Each room, niche, and corner provided a new treat for the eye. The staff was warm and cordial, upgrading the celebrants' suite to one more closely matching the description they were given by the booking agent. Although it was much more expensive, there was no additional charge.
We had a delightful stay, but about 3 days later, I discovered that I had left my gold earrings on the night table. On a whim and a prayer, I called the Inn. Three days later, I received a call to say they had my earrings! I was amazed and overjoyed.

I'm writing to congratulate the housekeeping staff for its honesty. In this day and age, it is a rare hotel where this would happen--
especially since several days had lapsed since our stay.. It is the mark of an Inn of the highest caliber. Congratulations! We will be back!

• Liked — the location and sitting rooms
  • Disliked — the price
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
4 Thank riversFairfaxCounty
Fairfax, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2007

I recently stayed at the Inn at Perry Cabin for a business meeting. I found the facility to be exceptional. My room had a gas fireplace in it....so it was very warm and cozy. The bathroom was huge....with a separate shower and dual sinks (I was alone but would love this when traveling for leisure). I even had a button on the wall which elevated my television for viewing from the bed (which was very comfortable). We had all of our meals there, and the dinner was exceptional with wine pairings. There was also a fireplace in the main dining room and also in our private room for our group dinner.
I loved it. I want to go back when I dont have to work!!

• Liked — rustic elegance - very comfortable beds - gas fireplace in room
  • Disliked — that I was alone on this trip ;-(
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank maryn222
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2007

We cannot say enough wonderful things about the staff and ambiance at the Inn at Perry Cabin. We were married at the Inn in June and had our reception immediately following on the lawn and in the Admiral Room. The weekend was perfect in every way! The staff was falling over themselves to be accommodating and make sure that our guests felt welcomed. The food was outstanding and the event went off without a hitch. The event coordinator, Tracey George, handled our arrangements with grace and professionalism. Our rooms were beautiful, the property was meticulous, and our guests loved their stay. We followed up our wedding with a honeymoon at La Samanna in St. Martin (another Orient Express Property) and were equally pleased with the service. We definitely plan to go back to the Inn at Perry Cabin and cannot wait for our next stay!

Stayed June 2007
4 Thank syncsurf
willyfung
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2007

Servant Jerry was quite courteous and was helpful in our quest for bicycles equipped with baskets. he even had a 2 seater! The "S" Quarters was humane and contained its own electric lighting/vending machine. there were many spots for photo ops and we took full advantage, Chairman Thad also helped us take a few of them! The delectable scones, Devonshire cream, chowdah, hasty crab spring rolls, yum. i would recommend purely on the state of the powder rooms. ahoy hoy. service was at times nosey.

Stayed November 2007
#4 of 9 in Easton
Bay Cottage Bed & Breakfast
Bay Cottage Bed & Breakfast
#8 of 13 in St. Michaels

Been to Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond? Share your experiences!