“Can't Wait To Return!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in St. Michaels
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Can't Wait To Return!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

I've returned to the inn several times each summer for the past 8 years -- and last summer my son and his wife held their wedding here. So, for me, it's a unique and special place. The inn itself is lovely and relaxing and beautifully situated on the water. I've spent many hours sitting in one of the lawn chairs with a book, just soaking in the view. And, unlike a couple of the sourpusses who posted anti-dog rants about the Inn, I love the fact that it's dog friendly. It's fun to see dogs frolicking on the lawn and I never saw a canine who wasn't under control. (The Inn's website could be more upfront about being dog friendly. This would keep the dog-haters away!) I swim every day and I adore the pool here. It's a large infinity pool and it's just stunning. And big enough so that you can easily swim laps even if other guests are hanging out in the pool splashing and playing. I was there during an unusually hot week, so that the water was hot tub temperature by later afternoon. Nothing the Inn could do about that, alas. (What they could do to improve things poolside is get the bee and wasp situation under control and silence the horrible nonstop pop song soundtrack which just ruins an otherwise lovely and tranquil spot.) I booked two rooms, one for me and the other for my son and his wife. We were given an upgrade -- both rooms were spacious and lovely and had water views. Breakfast in the dining room was excellent. We also enjoyed an informal dinner in the pub. One thing I am ALWAYS grateful for when I stay here -- excellent coffee is available all morning in the lobby for folks (like me) who need coffee when we first wake up. There is also a computer available in the library for folks (like me) who still haven't got laptops. The Linden Spa is out of this world. I've never had a bad spa treatment there. We all -- me and my son and his wife -- had a wonderful time relaxing together in our spa robes snacking on fresh fruit before and after our spa treatments in the room dedicated to that purpose. Another great thing about the Inn is that it's easy to stroll into the town. Interesting shops, a good candy store, a good coffee place and a good public library. But apart from everything I love about the Inn -- how beautiful and relaxing (and dogful!) it is, the very best thing about it is the staff. They are friendly and competent and eager to make your stay as pleasant as possible. (I'm talking about you, Nicole and Amanda!) But really -- all the folks who work here are just wonderful. The inn was recently upgraded. One good thing about the upgrade: many new activities, such as free yoga classes at a nearby yoga studio (the Inn provides free transportation) a morning "wag and walk." And kayaks! One bad thing: the Inn used to have a few rooms with two beds. Now all the rooms have just one bed. (My sister and I used to come here together but we don't really want to share a bed. Even a very large bed. So now we go to the Lodge at Woodloch.) In conclusion -- don't stay here if you hate dogs. Otherwise, it's a fabulous spot for a relaxing getaway.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PhoebeZamboni
Chris S, Director of Operations at Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
On behalf of the my colleagues here at the Inn at Perry Cabin, we appreciate the kind feedback and love it when our colleagues are singled out for their stellar service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Wilmington, DE
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

We are staying here now and just checked in. The reservations salesperson said they'd most likely be able to upgrade us, yet asked that we get to the hotel a bit earlier as upgrades are on a "first come, first served basis." We arrived at 12:45 and the room was not ready with no upgrade after front desk told us to arrive earlier than the 3:00 check-in time if we wanted a chance for the upgrade. This is problems when you have a baby after a long ride. They made sure we had enough time to eat lunch at Sherwoods Landing before the room was ready...more on that...

Wife gets the fish tacos and the tacos had been sitting too long and fell apart, and did not taste good at all. Manager comes over to ask how things are and we inform her. She asked if we wanted another dish yet we had no time to wait with baby needing a nap. She says OK! Have a nice day and comments on how cute the baby is. No apology. No reduction of bill....nothing. Not what you'd expect from the Eastern Shore's "premier restaurant". Then we tell the waitress who shakes her head, says that is terrible and that she pleaded with the chef not to do that again, and then delivers the full bill as if everything was great. They must get a ton of complaints...

We then wait another 45 minutes for our room. There is a serious service issue with both check-in and restaurant at this hotel, definitely angering upon arrival. They have discerning customers with the high prices they charge, yet seem to think that is the fault of the guest, not their own if things go wrong. A conflict to say the the least. Either don't charge more than a Ritz would or improve your room situation and restaurant. This is the second stay for me and twice had issues with check-in. Guests here pay too much for the nonsense. There is a level of service and courtesy that guests expect at this price range. I am not overly picky...just expect to get what I pay for and not the poor attitude and the feeling of you trying to take my money for substandard service.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank DelawareDH
On behalf of myself and the colleagues at The Inn at Perry Cabin, I wish to apologize to you in regards to your stay. At The Inn at Perry Cabin, we pride ourselves on the service levels that we offer to our guests and I am disappointed to hear that we did not live up to these standards. The check in experience should be a warm and welcoming one, and we obviously did not provide you with a proper welcome. I am so sorry that you felt "angered", as your room was not ready for you upon arrival. It is a frustrating thing after a long drive, and I'm sorry that we could not check you into your room immediately. I would also like to apologize that you did not enjoy the food in Sherwood's Landing, and our Colleague's non responsiveness to your complaint at the time. We encourage all of our Colleagues to be empowered, and they should have taken care of you immediately.
I have communicated your concerns and comments with all of the staff, and please know that we take all comments very seriously, in order to prevent situations such as what happened to you to happen to another customer.
If your travels bring you back to St. Michaels, please let me know and I will personally handle your reservation. If you would like to discuss your stay with us further, please feel free to contact me at 410-745-2200 and we can talk further. Thank you again for your comments.

Kind regards,

The Inn at Perry Cabin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and absolutely enjoyed our stay which was priceless thanks to Carlos at the pool. He bought us frozen grapes chilled lavender towels and cared so much for us in sweltering heat.He was so efficient with menu they were out of Colby Dogs but recommended the Soft Crab sandwich that was best ever i've had .We still couldnt believe how his attitude was so positive in such heat. Loved our room and enjoyed using the complimentary bikes which we road in town and had breakfast at Character's Cafe.Clone Carlos he has such great customer service.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank poison75
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

I came here with my sister for the weekend, and we absolutely loved it. Gorgeous hotel, friendly staff, spacious rooms, and great location. Couldn't recommend it more!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ellie B
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Inn from July 8th thru 10th. We booked our reservation thru Luxury Link. We did have a slight problem in that we were confirmed a king bed with a balcony or patio. We did not get that but when I inquired we were moved to a larger room with a king bed and balcony that was outstanding. There were dogs at the Inn but at NO time did I see any out of control or off their leash. As an animal lover I thought it was nice that people could bring along their pets. We had diner in the main restaurant and the food was great and service was outstanding. I'm not sure what is wanted by some as our server was friendly and quite enjoyable to talk with. We also had a late breakfast every morning and both the food and service was outstanding. I am not a food snob but I do know good vs. bad food and service, and the Inn has good service & food. Everyone working at the Inn was friendly and went out of their way to say hi. We ate at the Pub one evening and the food and service was great. Sometimes I think that folks who complain have no clue what "nice" is. They "save up for a year" and expect everything to be as if they are on TV. Well you only get that at much more money than what you pay for a night at the Inn at Perry Cabin. Spend some time on the internet and check out truly "exclusive" resorts....your eyes will be opened. I've stayed at some very wonderful places and the Inn at Perry Cabin is a place I would revisit. If you were not happy maybe your next stay should be at a Super 8 motel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank RobWfromPA
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

To be sure, we LIKE the Inn at Perry Cabin and we WILL go back there for special occasions.

But BEWARE of ROOM 57.

You WILL hear the people staying above you.

My husband and I stayed there earlier this week for a one-night anniversary getaway.

The room was lovely, clean, and had a nice patio with a water view. We were thrilled when we arrived and the housekeeping staff couldn't have been more friendly.

But we heard the man staying in the room above us pacing/thumping the floor back and forth, back and forth, back and forth... until 11pm and then again at 6:45am. It shook the room and ruined our chance at a good night's sleep (since our little baby was staying with her grandparents.)

We have stayed at the Inn at Perry Cabin previously and never have had this problem, so it must have been the room.

We mentioned it to the hotel front desk as we were leaving and they graciously took some $$ off the cost of our room.

So Fellow Travelers, you are forewarned. If you want a quiet room and a restful night's sleep, do NOT stay in Room 57!!

PS. we had a DELICIOUS breakfast at the on-site restaurant and a fantastic waitress. Ask for Kendall if you eat there. great smile and great service.

Room Tip: avoid Room 57!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank barne123
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

Beware of this over-priced establishment. The Inn at Perry Cabin is definitely lacking in quality at both their fine dining and casual dining establishments on property. A couple weeks ago some friends and I had dinner in the casual restaurant "the Pub." I ordered a crab sandwich that had a strong, foul odor reminiscent of the back of an eastern shore fish processing house where they chop up fish parts for chum. It cost almost $20 and I was barely able to get it past my nose. Another member of my party ordered the Cream of Crab. That arrived so thick with flour, the spoon stood up in the bowl. There was barely any crab meat in the soup and it had no flavor. Rumor has it, there's been a large turn-over in the kitchen and this must account for the poor quality of food. The service was slow and when the waitress disappeared for a length of time, the bartender stepped in to continue the service. She walked up to our table, interrupted our conversation and began making inappropriate comments and insulted one of the members in our party. I was simply in shock. I plan meetings at high-end hotels/resorts all over the United States and have never had an experience like this where hotel staff was so inappropriately rude. Also, a couple months back, I ate at the fine dining establishment on property, again, not bad like The Pub but very average, everything was drowned in butter for flavor. No real creativity on the part of the chef. The place does not live up to it's reputation. Orient-Express get in gear hire a chef.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank AndreaNAB20004
On behalf of my colleagues at the Inn at Perry Cabin, I wish to apologize to this guest. We are a four diamond establishment and pride ourselves on our quality and service. We obviously failed to live up to these standards in this case.

I hope that this guest will call me at 410-745-2200 or email me at csullivan@perrycabin.com so that I may personally apologize to them.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Michaels
#4 of 9 in Easton
George Brooks House B&B
George Brooks House B&B
#5 of 13 in St. Michaels

Been to Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond? Share your experiences!