“Beautiful, romantic resort”

Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in St. Michaels
Reviewed August 19, 2011

My husband and I booked a two night stay at the Inn from August 8th to August 10th, 2011, in celebration of expecting our first child together. Upon arrival, we were immediately greeted by the front desk staff, all of whom were highly efficient, friendly, and helpful. We had booked the bed and breakfast package, which included breakfast at Sherwood Landing each morning, as well as a free room upgrade if available. Though we were hoping to get the upgrade it was such a pleasant suprise to be informed immediately that our room had been upgraded to a studio room, which was wonderfully spacious, with fireplace, private patio over looking the water, and a gorgeous bathroom, with separate tile shower, spa tub, and two -sink vanity, as well as a separate bathroom. Breakfast at Sherwood Landing was wonderful, with generous portions and great service. The view from our room was amazing, and each night we sat in the gazebo directly by the water, sipping our water (being pregnant I could not drink wine).
The grounds of the Inn were beautifully maintained and manicured while the infinity pool provided wonderful relief from the heat. We had so looked forward to our stay to celebrate becoming parents. The Inn at Perry Cabin is a gorgeous and wonderfully romantic resort, with outstanding accomdations, amenities, and service. I wanted to write this review to honor the quality and uniqueness of this special place. Unfortunately, my husband and I were unable to take advantage of so much that the Inn had to offer, or to explore the surrounding area...I ended up being in tremendous physical pain, which we later found out was caused by an impending miscarriage. So, our stay was greatly overshadowed by physical discomfort and now our resulting intense grief. However, the Inn at Perry Cabin is truly an amazing place. One of these days, as we heal a little at a time, my husband and I would love to return to the Inn in order to truly experience the many amenities and beauty, and to recharge from all that we have been through recently.

Room Tip: Bed and Breakfast Package includes free room upgrade if available
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dorothy C
There are newer reviews for Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond

Reviewed August 18, 2011

Wonderful inn! Great service, top notch restaurant, beautiful setting

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Pros:
Gorgeous grounds and buildings in a lush, peaceful setting
Lovely pool with convenient poolside bar
Complimentary old-school cruiser bikes
Complimentary drop-offs and pick-ups (shuttle) around town
Pretty room with comfy bed, darling bathroom, good Gilchrist & Soames toiletries
Seemingly-unlimited water bottles in room, by the pool, etc.
Not too stuffy - we are 30 and 31 and felt at ease here

Cons:
Pricey (clearly)
Walls between rooms (in historic section) somewhat thin - we heard our neighbors "in the throws of passion", shall we say
Limited poolside menu (food-wise)
Extremely limited poolside chairs/loungers
Old "tube" televsions

Notable service members:
* Carlos at the Poolside Bar was super friendly
* James quickly came and got us in a rainstorm when we were stranded with our bikes across town, thereafter we noticed he was always around to open the front door for us with a friendly smile or grab a bike lock if needed (etc)
* Chance at Sherwood Landing (restaurant) was exactly the kind of server I prefer (unobtrusive but quick with recommendations if asked, refilled beverages without needing to be prompted, pleasant and accommodating)

My husband and I decided to celebrate our 9 year anniversary with a little getaway. We chose the Inn at Perry Cabin because we were looking for something relatively close to home (DC metro) since we could only get away for a few days. A friend suggested St. Michaels and Google turned up The Inn at Perry Cabin. I fell in love with the pictures right away and the reviews on Trip Advisor were mostly positive. Convincing the hubby to book the Inn was a little harder, because, let's face it, this place is really pricey. But we found a decent rate on their "signature" room (no water view) on the Inn's website for $275 per night pre-paid and booking mid-week helped, too. We stayed Tues - Thurs, August 9-11.

You drive through the charming town of St. Michaels to get to the Inn, which is at the edge of the small downtown area, right on their main street. The driveway to the Inn was like a portal to another (calmer, more luxurious) world... it is a wide paved brick path lined with linden trees and flowering shrubs on either side. (I told hubby to drive slowly just so I could take it in. Loved it.)

Parking is free. When we arrived, we ended up parking in the grass as they seemed to be out of spots. Later, we were able to move our car to a parking spot once the lunch crowd (non-guests) had left. Checking in took only a few minutes. There is one desk and you definitely feel like it's an intimate property -- this is no MGM Grand with 15 check-in desks and people everywhere.

We were given room 33 in the historic building. I knew we were not going to have a water view so I was not disappointed with our room. (Although I must admit, I'd been hoping for an upgrade since it was our anniversary and the Inn wasn't full, but you can't bank on that sort of thing.) There are no elevators in the historic building, so if you prefer an elevator... request the newer section. Our room was generously sized with french doors leading to a small balcony (with two chairs and a little bistro table). The bathroom has lots of charming details, but be warned... the shelf space in the bathroom is completely non-existent. (A pedestal sink, while darling, doesn't help the counter-space problem.) I had brought my toiletries in a bag and ended up just putting the bag in the bathroom and retrieving things as I needed them. Not ideal, but it was fine. (Maybe bring one of those over-the-door thingies?)

The closet in the room had plenty of hangers, which is a miracle. I travel all the time for business (over 100 days per year, average) and I usually have to call down to housekeeping for hangers.

Turndown service involves two house-made chocolate chip cookies. They are okay but nothing special. I love sweets, but didn't want to waste my calories on the cookies after tasting one.

The free wi-fi connection is reliable and has a decent speed. We used it to watch a movie online and streaming was fine. (Note: the Inn apparently has videos/dvds that they will loan out but we only had a VHS player in our room, no DVD player.)

A possibly odd tip: bring a plastic bag for your dirty laundry. Here, the Inn has a canvas bag for dry cleaning/laundry but obviously wasn't intended to be taken home. I normally snag the plastic laundry bag for worn clothes to keep them separate in my suitcase, so I was out of luck on this trip.

There is no standing ice machine that we could find. However, if you call down to guest services, they will send up someone pretty quickly with ice.

Pool comments... the pool area is enclosed by shrubs and a pretty brick wall. The poolside bar is cute and the food was good (however, I must say the portions, even for an upscale property, were tiny... $16 for two small fish tacos with no sides, condiments, etc, just two tiny tacos on a tray). My issue was that the loungers were in short supply. I know this is a "small" inn so they don't plan to accommodate a lot of guests at the pool at any given time but every time we went, we were scrounging for any chair we could find. I don't think the Inn staff has quite gotten this under control. There was a couple of ladies who had six seats "saved" between them and over an hour we watched as their friends/family/guests strolled in and took those seats at their leisure. That's fine for them, but we were stuck in the sun on an adirondack waiting for a lounger to open. Didn't quite seem fair. The poolside area is small, appropriately so, for this initimate property but it does create a bit of a problem in terms of having adequate space for more loungers. I am curious to know if the Inn will be addressing this in the future.

We ate once at the Purser's Pub (for a late dinner) and once at Sherwood Landing (for our anniversary dinner). Both were great. I got the lobser grilled cheese from the Pub and really enjoyed it. At Sherwood, I got the rockfish (fabulous, but I would skip the lobster au jus next time.... just drowns out the actual flavors of the meal) but my favorite was dessert... the angel food cake was heaven. Service at both was impeccable. Hubby had gone down earlier in the day to request a table by the window, so we had a lovely view as the sun set over the water.

We took out the Inn's complimentary cruiser bikes on several occasions. We basically didn't move our car from the time we got there until it was time to leave. (Sidenote: the shops at St. Michaels are nice but I was surprised by how few things were actually local; everything is sourced from elsewhere. Two notable shops: The Sewing Factory on the edge of town and the Linda Lukes gallery. I think a half-day of "touring" the shops is all you need to plan for. Restaurant-wise, a quick bike trip from the Inn will take you to Ava's Pizzeria and Justine's ... both awesome local places.)

Another sidenote: book the Selina II (catboat) if you can. Probably want to do that in advance. We took a sail on August 9 that ended up being quite an adventure (sudden rainstorm and unpredictable winds) but the boat is lovely, the captain is great, and it is such a unique experience.

Overall, the Inn at Perry Cabin was exactly what we were expecting. We had a wonderful, peaceful getaway. While we were not in a position to pay the $700+ per night room rate for a water view room, we had a great experience here. The service is excellent. The town itself is charming. A perfect little getaway to celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary!

Room Tip: Room 33 has a great balcony but does *not* have a water view; no elevator in historic section.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KCPrevatte
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Pros: beautiful property and very well decorated and spacious rooms
Awesome bell staff
Exceptional food
Breath taking views
Lovely infinity pool
Complimentary bikes
Great town with cute shops and restaurants

Cons:
Sherwood landing: service= snail's pace, arrogant male manager

linden spa: heavily stained sheets, albeit clean.. (had to ask)
pool: used towels everywhere, staff was not keeping up with up with cleaning area
Property: dead flowers along walkway, chairs outside need to be painted, vase of dead flowers at table the pub

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Tommpit
Reviewed August 4, 2011

The accommodations are first-rate. Staff are friendly and helpful. View is spectacular. I would have given it a 5 if they had tea and coffee in the lobby all day, which they don't. for the price, there should be warm beverages and snacks available. also they play popular music at the swimming pool which isn't consistent with the peaceful atmosphere of the inn. i would have spent more time in the pool if there was no music.

Room Tip: i received a better rate by booking on the phone. check perrycabin.com/inntheknow for specials.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank pmm4000
Reviewed July 30, 2011

The reality is that whenever you mention the name The Inn at Perry Cabin everyone says oh..... what a special place and truthfully it is very nice and a great place for a quick get away. But having recently stayed for three nights with my wife there is just something that is missing for a really great experience from this caliber of hotel and lets face it for the cost associated you should receive a really wonderful experience. The overall facilities are wonderful but the quest rooms are now showing their age and quite frankly are tired in their appearance. Our room had a hugh TV planted at the end of the bed that literally blocked the view of the water and was from the 60's.Granted the staff said they are planning a renovation this Fall and that "some" people like it quaint... really come on! The food is very good but the hostess positions need significant training; for example when it became a little crowded for breakfast the hostess commented to a guess that she was unsure how long the wait would be and that suggested "would you like to take a menu and order room service" again really? My wife and I made a reservation for dinner and here again it was quite good but the wait time out of the kitchen was disappointing. My wife and I were enjoying ourselves but the wait staff became very frustrated by how long it took that after several trips to the kitchen they could not even explain what was happening. The meal however was very good. It is all the little things that lack execution. Upon checking out the admin staff could not get the printer to work until several attempts and with assistance. The bottom line is that my wife and I had a very good stay but it just begs the question that at the prices they charge at The Inn...do they really deserve their reputation?

Room Tip: The guest rooms are dated and need refurbishment
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank caa007
David_Merryman, Manager at Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2011

Thank you for your recent stay at The Inn at Perry Cabin, and for your fair and balanced review of your experience. I'm happy to hear that you found the overall facilities to be wonderful, your meal in Sherwood's Landing was very good, and that you and your wife had a very good stay. We have always taken great pride in having a staff of hospitality professionals who go out of their way to exceed our guests expectations. However, I would like to apologize for the service lapses that you encountered during your stay; I agree that it is attention to detail that makes a good stay great, and in this instance, it looks like we did not deliver the type of service that we have become known for. Thank you again for providing us your feedback regarding your stay; I do hope that you will give us a second chance to provide you with the level of service you would expect and deserve from The Inn at Perry Cabin.

David Merryman
Director of Rooms Division

Reviewed July 29, 2011

From the room, to the staff, to the pool, to the restaurant and food this is a first class resort. We celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary with a two night stay, and on a weekend with a heat index of 108 degrees, we were able to both relax and reflect. The Inn was full, which you could tell by everyone at the pool, however, as I mentioned to my husband there were times when we walked the halls and felt as though we were home with no one else around. If you were there to sit in your room and watch TV, that may be your only complaint - but then why would you want to do that?

Room Tip: our room was a stateroom in the historic part of the inn - no balcony - but still a nice view of the...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Wades Point Inn on the Bay
Parsonage Inn
Parsonage Inn
#2 of 13 in St. Michaels

Been to Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond? Share your experiences!