“Disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in St. Michaels
Medina, WA
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

I really wanted to love this place but I couldn't. The level of the hotel isn't up to its prices or its publicity. Our room had an older (not flatscreen) TV that was so low in relation to the bed, from certain angles the lower portion of the screen was blocked by the
footboard.

Our bathroom overlooked an outdoor courtyard associated with the bar and this resulted in a great deal of noise late into the night.

We ate several meals in the main dining room. There were several flies buzzing around and on several occasions there were gnats in our coffee cups. Staff was nonchalant about this.

Food in the dining room was okay. Nothing wrong, nothing amazing.

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank frogprince
David_Merryman, Manager at Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us at The Inn at Perry Cabin. While I am sorry to read that your experience fell short of your expectations, I do appreciate your willingness to share feedback regarding your stay.

I will certainly share all of the issues you raised with our management and staff to ensure that future guests will not encounter similar problems. Providing extraordinary guest satisfaction through friendly, attentive service, and a superior product is our goal at the Inn at Perry Cabin, and in this instance, it appears that we didn't deliver.

Thank you once again for your business and for your constructive feedback. Should your travels once again bring you to St. Michaels, I hope that you would consider giving us a second chance to provide you with the kind of experience that you would expect from the Inn at Perry Cabin.

Director of Rooms Division

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for our anniversary. The hotel offered great service, wonderful food, clean rooms with lots of extras. The surrounding area is quiet and it is a great place to spend time away from the fast pace of every day life. I opted for the more expensive suite as opposed to their average room and booked a package along with it that included dinner and a massage. The wait staff knew my name before I gave it at dinner and the overall service was just great. I highly recommend this location, not just here but to friends.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Drummerskey
Thank you so much for your kind review of your stay at The Inn at Perry Cabin. We have a wonderful staff of hospitality professionals who enjoy making each guest stay a memorable occasion, and I have shared your review with them. Should your travels bring you back to St. Michaels, I hope we have the chance to welcome you back to the Inn.

Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2011

Overall, my husband and I enjoyed our one night stay at the Inn at Perry Cabin. The grounds are nothing short of picturesque. We had fun simply walking the property and relaxing on one of the many benches scattered near the water. Our room was comfortable, clean, and oozed eastern shore charm. The service was superb. You couldn't ask for more friendly or helpful staff. Our only complaint was our dinner experience. We elected to eat dinner at Sherwood's Landing, the hotel's primary restaurant. The service was only mediocre and the prices exorbitant for small portions. We had to wait a long time for our food even though the restaurant wasn't very busy, and when it came out it was lukewarm. I'd recommend staying here, but skip out on the hotel's restaurant in favor of one of the places in town.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AngelaMT611
washington dc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2011

If you want to spoil yourself, stay at the Inn at Perry Cabin when you are in St. Michael's. I celebrated a birthday with friends here and it was divine. Everything about the rooms is luxurious--linens, size, baths, decor. The view is spectacular and there are plenty of inviting spots to enjoy it from. The dining was top notch. And, not that the Inn had anything to do with it, the weather was fantastic for biking through town and all sorts of other activities.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2011

We stayed here for a 3-day anniversary escape and loved it. The location is superb, walking distance into town, but we also took advantage of the bikes available for a ride. The natural setting is beautiful, right on the water, and the grounds are landscaped beautifully with flowers at every turn and plenty of greenery that makes the buildings seem smaller and more intimate and provided privacy on the patio attached to our room. We took advantage of the spa for massages (fantastic) and the pool, as well as a sailing lesson through Offshore Sailing School (also fantastic) which has boats docked at the Inn. While many small details made our experience feel luxurious, I would say the food at the Inn was the most surprising and delightful aspect. Often it seems that hotel restaurants can be kind of mediocre but get away with it, riding on the rest of an otherwise luxurious experience. I was prepared for this, having read some mixed reviews here of the main restaurant, Sherwood's Landing. But this was not at all the case -- the food was fabulous, sophisticated, and interesting. And because we just wanted to hang around and relax at the hotel, we tried all the options (Sherwood's Landing, Purser's Pub, breakfast in our room, afternoon tea). Every time it was delicious. We were told that a new executive chef just came on board about a week ago -- based on our experience this seems to be working out very well! Overall we had a wonderful, relaxing stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
NY Metro area
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

My husband arranged a special surprise trip to the Inn at Perry Cabin for my 50th birthday.

After reading all the glowing reviews I was very excited and looking forward to a
Ritz Carlton-esque experience.

Unfortunately that was not to be.

We arrived in the late afternoon following a 3 hour drive-the woman at check in was pleasant enough and the grounds were lovely but it was clear that this was not quite in season as the hotel had few guests and even fewer employees, it seemed.
She let us know that afternoon tea was being offered in the adjacent room, should we be interested, although we wanted to do some exploring we did venture into the next room only to find that, unlike any other similar hotel of this calibre (the White Elephant on Nantucket, or the Castle Hill Inn in Newport, for example) Afternoon Tea would be $20 pp- not complimentary (??) -surprising, given the fact that room rates off season are over $400/nt .

Our room was a lovely suite on the first floor- linens and amenities, very nice.
However, in the shower there was very little water pressure (truly just a trickle) and it took 5 minutes for the water to become hot (again, "???"). We have never experienced this in either a modern or historic hotel before.

After a very nice dinner off property and then a lovely breakfast in the restaurant (which I would give 4 stars) we headed out for the day to explore the local area.
Upon returning to our room around 3:45 PM we arrived to find that the room had not been cleaned (another "???" moment). Upon calling the concierge to see what had happened, instead of an apology I received "well, they have until 4:00 to clean the rooms, you know" from a very young (and obviously untrained) girl who should never have been in that position. I was absolutely shocked.

All of the above, coupled with the fact that not once was a verbal acknowledgement made of our special occasion nor was a plate of cookies (or some gesture) ever extended, really soured what should have been a fabulous experience. Except for the wait staff, employees did not seem engaged and there was little, if any eye contact.

I really wanted to love the Inn at Perry Cabin.

Perhaps it was because it was off season and they weren't properly staffed but I was sadly underwhelmed at the whole experience and will not have a 50th birthday again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Welltraveledfamily
InnatPerryCabin, Director of Rooms Division at Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond, responded to this review, May 5, 2011
Thank you so much for choosing to celebrate this special occasion with us at The Inn at Perry Cabin. Although I'm sorry to read that your experience fell short of your expectations, I do appreciate your willingness to share feedback regarding your stay.

I appreciate your kind comments about your suite, the property, and breakfast in Sherwood's Landing, but I would like to sincerely apologize for the poor level of service you and your husband received during your stay. Providing extraordinary guest satisfaction through friendly, attentive service is our goal at the Inn at Perry Cabin, and in this instance, it appears that we didn't deliver. I will certainly address all of the issues you raised with our staff to ensure that future guests won't encounter similar problems.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly to personally apologize. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience. Thank you once again for your business and for your feedback.

Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

Anniversary weekend, selected the spa package with breakfast included. First day we did room service for breakfast--everything was well done, and the right temperature--hard to do for room service.
Our room was on the third floor--nice view of the grounds and the boats on the water side, and even a view of the front of the inn. Bed, furniture, decorations, all very nice. Nice robes, and a pair of slippers, and a sweet treat, and some fruit in the room. Ice in the bucket both days without asking.
Our spa experience was equally enjoyable--nice people doing good work--we were very relaxed.
Overall, the other reviews are right when they say everyone is friendly. They look you in the eye, say hello, open the door for you. Do the extra thing. Great atmosphere.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
#4 of 9 in Easton
George Brooks House B&B
George Brooks House B&B
#5 of 13 in St. Michaels

Been to Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond? Share your experiences!