“Not much bang for the buck”

St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in St. Michaels
GreenLeadersBronze level
NJ
“Not much bang for the buck”
Reviewed April 11, 2009

took Miles River Suite. While large balcony, planters filled with dead plants (understand is just beginning spring, take out the old ones!), no lounge chairs, had to stand around out there, defeating purpose of taking room with large balcony. Decor very plain and totally unstylish and outdated. Furniture not matching, very mishmash, old. Small fridge, no coffee, no micro. Large banged up wood dish rack on wall, because? Bathroom large and plain (soft towels though).

Wanted to use sofa bed, no sheets blankets pillows. Called to front desk for some, told to come down to get them Um, okay, let me haul the stuff around at these prices.

Would not recommend.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Bowie, MD
Reviewed March 11, 2009

I booked a Pajama Party Package for four guests staying one night at the Harbour Inn. At the time I booked the package, I mentioned to the reservationist about a Spafinder discount I had found online (20% off or more for dates before April 30, 2009). He acknowledged the discount was valid and I met all the discount criteria. The next day when I received the email confirmation for our stay, the rate did not reflect the agreed-upon discount. When I spoke to the front desk manager, I was told that the reservationist "doesn't know what he's talking about" and that the discount is included in the standard package rate. After some discussion, the front desk manager got very defensive, telling me that she will not honor the rate I was quoted at the time of reservation and then told me I would have to pay a $25 cancellation fee if we chose not to come. Nowhere on the Spafinder site or the Harbour Inn site does it state that the discount is already included, and the math just simply doesn't add up. In fact, on Spafinder, the discount is advertised as a savings. In general, when a company advertises a savings, that would be discounted from the standard rate, not part of the standard rate. Finally, after being informed of the filing of a consumer action complaint was I allowed to cancel without a fee. This front desk manager knows nothing about customer service.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
harbourinn, General Manager at St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa, responded to this review, March 31, 2009
The Front Desk Associate did indeed quote you the correct rate at the time you booked your reservation. This included the 20% discount from SpaFinders. You then asked him to give you the total amount including taxes and when you were informed of this total, you even muttered to him that the taxes would almost be as much as your 20% discount! As for the statement you claim the Front Desk Manager made that a co-worker “doesn’t know what he is talking about”, I can assure you that she would never say this! This is a blatant untruth!
At the time a reservation is made, it is explained to the Guest that a $25.00 fee will be charged for ALL cancelled reservations. It states quite plainly on both the SpaFinders and the Hotel website that cancellation policies will be enforced. The SpaFinders website also states quite plainly “price before discount” and “price after discount”. You were, in fact, quoted the correct discounted rate of 20% savings by the Associate. Despite your sarcasm and rudeness, when you brought the matter to the Front Desk Manager’s attention, she behaved in a professional manner and waived the cancellation fee as a courtesy at the time you cancelled your reservation. Stating that we did not immediately waive your fee is another blatant untruth. The Front Desk Manager has been with the Hotel for 20 years and when you say that the she “does not know anything about customer service” there are literally thousands of Guests who would disagree. If you or your friends would like to stay with us in the future, please call me and I will be pleased to explain our policies to you in detail so there will be no misunderstands.
Maryland
Reviewed November 14, 2008

We got a giftcard to stay at this hotel, I didnt have that high of expectations because of the reviews I had read, Luckily we had a very nice experience. I agree with other reviewers that this hotel is def. not worth the price, if it werent for a giftcard we would have never stayed here, but the SPA was awesome, it didnt even look like it was part of the hotel, it was so clean and new and the people were so delightful.

We stayed in a King Jacuzzi room, the view was absolutly beautiful, the little light house was right across from our room.

The room was clean and the bed comfy, the decor was super outdated and the paint/dry wall work was very... sloppy. My husband notices things like this, not me.

I think with a face-lift this hotel could be top notch.

Because we went during the off season the town was pretty much shut down, which was really annoying, especially since the two places i wanted to go to were closed on tuesdays, I mean really who closes randomly on tuesdays!!

We did go in this little shop called a Wish called Wanda which we LOVED, the owner was so nice and we got some really cute gifts.

We ate at the little saloon down the street for lunch and it was delicious!

All in all it was a nice trip, would we have done it without a Giftcard....probably not, the town itsself was not as inviting as other places we have been.

• Liked — SPA
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Virginia
Reviewed October 30, 2008

We spent two nights at the Harbour Inn in mid October 2008. We had a two room suite on the third floor overlooking the little harbor. A great view. We spent around $230 a night.

This place is a little off. It's inherent in its architecture, so don't expect the Inn at Perry Cabin. The decor is dated. Our balcony was filthy. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The bathroom was patched up here and there and the tub had not had a good scrubbing in quite a whie. I discovered that mid-bath. Yuck! The room decor is good old Republican blue and mauve with floral borders. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just so, well, eh. Like it was thought up in 1982.

A coffee maker in the room would have been nice as would more coffee in the lobby. And free access to an ice machine would be convenient.

So, off season, for $230 a night for a two room suite on the water I wasn't but so offended. But, I would be downright upset to pay any more than that during high season. This place is tired. It's a little out of the way. It's not a clean as it ought to be. It lacks amenities lesser places regularly offer.

There isn't much competition in St. Michaels. And the Harbour Inn reflects just that.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Not as clean as one might hope
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed October 27, 2008

My husband and I just returned from the St Michaels Harbour Inn. We had a wonderful weekend! From the moment we arrived, the hotel staff was professional and friendly. We received a warm greeting at the front desk and complimentary bottled water (as one reviewer stated the water was not chilled but there was a mini frig in our room so we just put them in the frig until we wanted them later). We reserved a waterfront room (room 305) which has a beautiful view of the marina and Miles River. The queen bedded room was clean, the furniture in good condition and decorated in a nautical theme. The room was somewhat small but the third floor rooms have vaulted ceilings which was nice and made the room seem bigger and brighter. The private balcony has two chaise lounge chairs and one regular chair and offered a spectacular view . All in all, the room was very nice for the $159.00 nightly rate. The Inn has a small spa on the third floor which includes a relaxation room, women and men's dressing rooms (with lockers, 1 private steam room, 1 private 7 head shower - simply fabulous) and private service rooms. I reserved a one hour Wild Lime Scalp and Body Massage which was out of this world. Again, the service was excellent. Although the spa is small, it was very clean and up to date. My masseuse, Stephanie L. was amazing. I think I gained back 5 years of my life in that 1 hour massage! I highly recommend it. The hotel offers complimentary bicycles which were in good condition and plentiful. There's nothing like exploring St. Michaels on a bike early in the morning before the crowds. The hotel location is ideal. We were there on a busy weekend and were thankful the inn was a couple of blocks from the main street. It was so quiet and relaxing and an easy 5 minute walk to all the shopping, restaurants and points of interest. We never got back in our car until we left to go home. Although the property was a little tired and could use some freshening up (outside paint, outdoor carpet or fresh paint on the balcony, new bed comforter), we really enjoyed the Inn and would return again. If you are looking for top of the line luxury accommodations though, stay at The Inn at Perry Cabin for alot more $$.

• Liked — the location and view
pennsylvania
Reviewed October 14, 2008

My husband and I just came back from an overnight stay in St. Michaels. This was a romantic get-away and we tried to get reservations at The Inn at Perry Cabin. They were booked, so we settled for St. Michael's Harbour Inn. The room was very average. The price we paid for one night was extremey high for this type of accommodation ($460 for one night) The view was nice (water view), but we were on the first floor and there was only an old wooden bench to sit on that was against the wall, in the grass, and we got eaten by mesquitos. We couldn't get into the restaurant on the premises for dinner, as they told us the only thing available was after 9 pm. We went to the front desk and were told that the restaurant was not owned by the hotel, so they couldn't get us in.
This was our second time in St. Michaels. The first time we did stay at the Inn at Perry Cabin, and I would never stay elsewhere again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Very over-priced
Annapolis, MD
Reviewed October 11, 2008

Overall the pros are that the hotel and marina are on the water. The cons are that the rooms are certainly shabby and the staff were simply not very friendly. After the first night we cancelled the remainder of our stay (and waterfront room) and went to a B&B in town. Overall, I would recommend anyone traveling to this wonderful city do the same.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank kokb2004
Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina
Bay Cottage Bed & Breakfast
Bay Cottage Bed & Breakfast
#7 of 13 in St. Michaels

Been to St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa? Share your experiences!