“Wonderful Hotel and Restaurant”

St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in St. Michaels
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Wonderful Hotel and Restaurant”
Reviewed March 3, 2012

My wife and I chose the Harbour Inn for our weekend getaway. It is truly a gem of a hotel. We enjoyed good weather from a large balcony over looking the water. The staff could not have been more hospitable.I have read some of the reviews about the property bieng dated. I can assure you that I have stayed all over the world in some of the finest hotels; while the hotel rooms are not up with the latest fashions...(if you like that sort of thing) it is hardly offensive. We found the room to be very spacious and very comfortable with a literal million dollar view. I can say that the bar area is one of the most well decorated and comfortable places I have encountered in my travels and it is absoloutluy delightful. We ventured out to several places around the town and found the best food to be the Harbour Lights restaurant. I may be new to Trip Advisor but I am not new to travel. This place is a winner!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed February 27, 2012

My husband surprised me with an overnight getaway for my birthday. When we first arrived the first thing we saw was the sign about the renovations and the exterior of the building being raw. Granted, it's the end of February and the ideal time to do renovations since it's off-peak but he hadn't been informed of it- and unfortunately I couldn't take all the pictures I wanted to as photography is a hobby and I like to document our trips. We stayed in the Admiral Suite which had an in-suite jacuzzi and king bed. The accomodations were very spacious, clean and comfortable with a living room area seperate from the bedrooom. The jacuzzi tub was right when you walked into the room in the corner of the "living room" area...although you had a clear view of the water out of the the windows opposite the room, I felt it was a bit of an awkward layout. Overall, he had arranged for the tub to be prepared while we were at dinner so that when we returned it was filled, complete with bubbles, rose petals, candles and tub side champagne...a very nice treat (although at checkout I overheard that it was an additional $75 for the service!). We opted to eat at Sherwood's Landing at the Inn at Perry Cabin (about a 5 minute drive) which was one of the best culinary treats of my life so aside from our mini experience at the Tavern (it was closed when we arrived mid-afternoon on a Sunday but they made an exception and served us a drink as we couldn't check-in yet and needed to kill time until our spa services) I can't comment on the food. My husband had booked a couple's massage for us at the spa which was one of the best massages we've both had. Tim and Carrie were incredible massage therapists, although I didn't care for the spa furnishings nor decor (I work in the industry so I tend to be a little critical). I definitely enjoyed myself, as did my husband, but I felt it was overpriced for what it was.

Lutherville Timonium, Maryland
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We stayed here in room 212 on 2/25/12. The hotel is definitely outdated, and the rooms need serious remodeling. We did not have hot water for any of the showers we took. The jacuzzi and sinks however, did have plenty of hot water. The room was dusty, but the bed was very comfortable. The hotel is undergoing renovations on the outside of the building. We were standing out on the balcony and observed that a large piece of the gutter spout had fallen off the building. Moments later, a very large piece of siding flew off the building and landed next to the gutter spout on the dock below. Serious safety hazard!!! Employees are extremely friendly - especially Jennifer at the front desk. They give you 2 very small bottles of water when you check in (thanks!) and then charge you $4 for each additional bottle of water (ridiculous). I did not see any vending machines, so if you don't come prepared with your own drinks, you're pretty much stuck paying $4 for a bottle of water. The bathrobes in the room (which they threaten to charge you $85 for if you steal them) are horrible - very stiff and not the least bit soft or comfortable. Who would steal them?? Jacuzzi was very nice, however there is no TV with the jacuzzi as one of the website picture shows. We ate at Harbour Lights Restaurant on Saturday night. We had reservations for 8pm. We weren't seated until 8:20, even though there were only 5 other couples eating at that time. Our waiter was super friendly, but left us sitting at our table until 9pm when he finally brought over the bread we had asked him twice for at that point. At 9:20, he came over and told us the chef "had just received our order" and that our food would be out shortly (we placed our order around 8:30). We finally received our food around 9:40. My fish was seriously overcooked and the lobster mac&cheese had NO flavor. My husband enjoyed his dish. The waiter did take $9 off our bill (wow...), but we felt that a lot more should have been taken off seeing as how we were basically ignored for 2 hours. We checked out early on Sunday and walked around the town. It really is a lovely place and we will definitely be back, but will perhaps stay elsewhere. I would never eat at Harbour Lights again, that's for sure!

2 Thank Julie M
New Jersey
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We took advantage of a winter special and spent the night here at this lovely hotel in St. Michaels. We had a waterfront room with a large balcony. One surprise though was the $20 resort fee added to the bill. But even with that addition the room was still a good deal. We had lunch and breakfast at the hotel which were excellent. I had an oyster po'boy, one of my favorites, which is usually hard to find. We would certainly come back here.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I was un happy with his place. The room was oaks far as it goes but it's way overpriced - they apply a resort fee not quoted up front in the price and this place is simply not a resort. Find somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank kellyenz
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed February 14, 2012

My fiance' and I visited St Michaels for a Valentines winter weekend in St Michaels. We chose the St Michaels Inn becuase of the unbelievable rate they offered. They are currently doing some exterior construction on the building. If it wasn't for the fact that you could see the work from the outside you would never know there was anything going on. It was still quiet and relaxed. They even upgraded us to a suite on the top floor with a jacuzzi in suite.

The view was great of the harbor and the room was clean, spacious and comfortable. Plus, they are dog friendly which made the weekend even better. We like to travel with our shi tzu.

The Inn sits on the water overlooking all of St Michaels harbor. The bar is comfortable and the hostess was exceptional. The bar tender had the personality of a rock and could use some training on customer service. But, this was the only complaint I could say of the Inn.

Maryland
Reviewed February 6, 2012

To Robert Pascal owner, the Chef and Management of the Harbour Inn, St. Micheals MD:

I have tried to contact Mr. Pascal on at least two occations. He has returned my calls to his credit, however his attention to this matter is not a priority in my optionion. Knowing I have had a bad experience, I would be much more proactive in his place.

The experience my husband and I had at your New Year's Eve event was probably the worst I have ever had. The food was for the most part uneatable. The soup, shrimp and lobster bisque looked like a brown broth with a foam on top, the comment at the table was "this does not look like any bisque I have ever had" and let me tell you it did not taste like it either, not good in any way. The next course was the highlight of the meal the salad and from there it went back down hill. The salmon course was so fishy and mushy I could not eat it, and I notice the others at our table left much on their plates as well. The quail course was dry and over-spice, just not good so I did not eat it, why waist calories on something you don't enjoy, is what I always say. The main course was what should have been a filet for the price we paid, but turned out to be a short rib and lobster over risotto. I ate the rib and was it was ok, but the lobster which I usually love had a funny flavor almost like moldy and the risotto tasted like someone dropped the whole jar on thyme in it, just not eatable. Ok, you would think that maybe the chocolate molten cake, the dessert course would have either ice cream or even whipped cream on it, nope, plain and really not that good. We actually had one the night before at the Carpenter Street Saloon, with ice cream and it was delicious. Lastly, was the chocolate covered strawberries, can't mess that up, right? Wrong! The chocolate was way too thick and perhaps not of good quality, needless to say not eaten.

So dinner is over and we are dancing and the band was really nice but the dance floor, not there. I have never been to an event for dancing that did not prove at least a temporary dance floor. While we are dancing the waiters are passing out champagne for the toast. We notice that because we are not at our seat we did not get our glasses. We hail the waiter to tell him, however he does not make it back in time to toast the new year a midnight. WTH! This was typical of the service experience, minimal and not at all attentive or professional. Really not acceptable on any level in my opinion. We saw the manager on duty run by once. We were never asked how anything was and had to hail our waiter anytime we wanted something. Needless to say we did not leave a tip, I don't think I have ever done that. I think this was due to the fact that when we approached the manager about the meal, she refused to take even a portion of our meal off the bill, instead insisting she could only offer a return meal voucher. I was pretty upset that she said she could not contact the owner at that time. So before I contact my credit card company to refute the charge I have called to convey my story, however it seems that no one there seems to care about our experience knowing full well of our disappointment.

The band stopped playing to our continued disappointment right after midnight, another first, were does this ever happen at a NYE party? We noticed at that almost everyone else had abandoned ship by this time so after we made our plea for a fair return compensation we left to finnish celebrating elsewhere.

We spent the next day in town (we are from Annapolis) and I had mentioned to someone who works in town about our experience. Her reply was that the Harbour Inn used to be very good but in recent years has gone down hill. This made sense to me because my husband and I had a wonderful brunch there several years ago, and that is the only reason I agreed to spend our NYE there and spend $300 for the two of us. We could have had a superb meal elsewhere for that amount.

So to everyone working there at the Harbour Inn, Shame on you! Don't be surprised if this letter shows up on Trip Advisor and other social networks. I want other people to know how much they will be ripped of when they visit you.
Amy J.
Annapolis MD

BTW-I never received any response to this email sent in January.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mdmonroe
Rachel F, Manager at St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
I am sorry you did not enjoy your experience. Our New Years Eve party was enjoyed by about 100 people and the comments we received from most of them were glowing. We had the opportunity to get feedback from a handful of guests the following day as well, since many of them were staying in the hotel.

On New Year’s Eve, out of respect for our hotel guests, the live music upstairs wound down shortly after midnight, and the entertainment continued in our lounge downstairs, which you were aware of since you enjoyed dancing there as well.

If you had mentioned your dissatisfaction with your meal while it was being served (and you had ample opportunity given the number of courses) we would have gladly responded at that time.

We take great pride in the level of service we provide and the quality of our cuisine and have received accolades for both. So I am, of course, disappointed that you did not enjoy your experience.

Robert Pascal
#5 of 9 in Easton
Bay Cottage Bed & Breakfast
Bay Cottage Bed & Breakfast
#7 of 13 in St. Michaels

Been to St. Michaels Harbour Inn Marina & Spa? Share your experiences!