“Absolutely Horrible and Defintely Not Worth the Money”

Harbourtowne Resort
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in St. Michaels
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 23, 2007

The outside is much better than the inside. Beautiful sunset and sunrise. We were expecting a plush and luxurious room and instead found a basic hotel room. Bathroom fixtures were the lowest grade, there were yellow spots on the bathroom floor, and most of all, the room had gnats everywhere and when we inquired about it, we were told that it was nothing that could be done about them, it was their "season". When we checked out 2 days early because of it, we were not offered another room or any compensation from the manager on duty. We called the General Manager (2 days ago)and are waiting to hear back from them. If you love golf, then maybe this is for you, but just to come and relax....think again!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank swirley

Reviewed October 15, 2007

I recently stayed at Harbortowne on business for 2 nights. It's the perfect location for a retreat away from the DC metropolitan area as it's only 1.5 hours away from the city.

The property while situated beautifully along the water could use a lot of updating. Each room has a waterfront view. The rooms, while clean, are not overly inviting. The furniture and the bedding appear quite old in style and simply does not make you want to jump in bed.

My sink showed signs of wear with cracks in the ceramic; and the floor in the bathroom which was linolium had a burn mark.

The fitness center which is a short distance from the sleeping rooms consists of two old treadmills and 1-2 bikes.

The hotel does offer free wireless internet service which is nice for the business traveler.

There is only one restaurant on the property and the food was average at best. You can drive into the town where there are other dining options.

For a group rate of $260/night I expected more and do not think I would return.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank TSJ08
Reviewed October 9, 2007

I surprised my Husband with a weekend getaway for our 1st Anniversary. He hadn't taken out his golf clubs in quite some time, so that was the premise for my choosing Harbourtowne Golf Resort. He enjoyed the course and found it challenging. He was pretty sore afterward, so it was perfect that I had also booked us a 1 hour full body couples massage offered at the Resort by Massage Works. The staff were well trained and it was heaven. After our massage, we went into the town of St. Michaels, and dined at Character's Cafe. We thought it pricey, but good. We stayed waterfront in a King Pointe and found the view to be beautiful and the atmosphere serene. The room was clean, and the king-sized bed was great. We also did some fishing along the shore. Initially I was searching for a Romantic Weekend Getaway Package, and thought a Golf Resort anything but romantic. But I'll tell you, we had a wonderful time doing the things we love most. It's a wonderful place, and come next year, when it is his turn to suprise me, I wouldn't mind if he chose to come back to Harbourtowne.

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank cowgirl069
Reviewed September 3, 2007

My husband & I just returned from Labor Day weekend visit to St. Michael's for my 43rd birthday. We stayed at Harbourtowne Golf Resort and despite all of the negative reviews we read beforehand... we found the grounds, hotel and view to be the most beautiful anywhere. We stayed on the first floor of the two-story building & the furnishings & decor were just right. The view from the balcony was stunning, the courtyard area with the gazebo & adirondack chairs just steps from all the rooms, was like something out of a painting. The bay was 25 feet or so from the balcony. We highly recommend this for a romantic stay or even a family stay. The pool is very nice, as is the golf course. The buffet breakfast was included and was fine, we're just not that picky. Eggs, bacon, fruit, cereal, yogurt... all "free" and who cares, it was hot and plentiful.

We ate at several restaurants, the best was the Crab Claw with their outdoor seating on the water & somewhat reasonable prices compared to Town Dock next door which wasn't all that. Crab Claw has a better view anyway. Both had expensive drink prices (a beer & a mixed drink $14.. wow!) The worst was Harrison's in Tilghman Island where the decor was very outdated and the crabs were terrible. Also Key Lime in town was the pits. Exotic-named menu items (great for France), but very small portions and really expensive for just a quick lunch. Characters Bar was fun, great bands playing and fairly inexpensive menu items.

If you stay at Harbourtowne, you must rent the bikes for $2.50 an hour. Just riding thru the community is beautiful and only 10 minutes to the downtown shops. We also cruised on the Patriot for $19.55 person... the 90-minute tour was well worth it. The following day we cruised on HM Krentz Skipjack... it was very nice also but $40.00 person for 2 hours & oyster & bay history, which my husband found interesting at least. Both boats allowed food & beer coolers.

We'll be going back only hopefully with a boat next time! Harbourtowne is a spectacular setting, especially if you can afford to stay on the "point" of the property... one level attached bungalows with fireplaces and the view... gotta go just for the view!!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank djclark
Reviewed August 19, 2007

I was a bridesmaid in a wedding at Harbourtowne, so I (along with almost all of the other 85 wedding guests) stayed here for 2 nights. The setting for the wedding was absolutely beautiful - a grassy lawn and a big deck overlooking the water.

I would never spend $200+ on a hotel room but it was so much easier to stay here than anywhere else, since the wedding was right there. There is a huge difference between the renovated and non-renovated rooms. I was lucky and got assigned a renovated room that opened onto the grass that overlooked the water. It was okay - fairly spacious, but nothing special. Linoleum (not tile) floors, lumpy beds, a very loud a/c unit. Some of the guests were assigned to the non-renovated rooms and they weren't so lucky - the one I saw reeked of mildew. All the rooms open to exterior corridors. We got ready for the wedding in the bride's suite which was nice. It had a huge deck overlooking the water.

The complimentary breakfast was just okay. It was a buffet of cereal, bread, sausage, eggs, and fruit. The food they served at the wedding, though, was awesome.

Service was also just okay. The folks at the front desk seemed annoyed whenever we saw them, but everyone else seemed pretty friendly. They charged us for a cot I had requested but then canceled (and never received), but removed the charge when I pointed it out at check-out.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay b/c I was with my friends ... but I wouldn't choose to come back here again. Although the price seems to be in line with others in the area, it's a splurge for me - and this place just wasn't special enough.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank elizardbethday
Reviewed August 19, 2007

Just returned from a family summer vacation. We loved Harbourtowne. The setting was absolutely gorgeous - loved the view from our patio. Harbourtowne was great for the kids - a great pool, bike riding in this private community, and a lovely golf course. This community was so peaceful and very relaxing. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The rooms could use a little updating, but we felt very comfortable. Entire family agrees that we will definitely return to Harbourtowne. Thank you for a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2007

I stayed at the Harbourtowne in connection with work. Although the setting is nice, on the water and with a golf course, the room was like an aging motel room at best .

The beds were uncomfortable, sheets stiff and polyesterish and the carpet stained and old. The bathroom/shower was old and dated, and the fixtures like those at an old motel by the freeway in the middle of nowhere.

I would not stay here again. On the plus side, there is a computer in the business center with free internet and printer. The front desk guy was unpleasant and surly when we checked in, but the next morning, a different guy was very nice.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
Wades Point Inn on the Bay
Tidewater Inn
Tidewater Inn
#5 of 9 in Easton

Been to Harbourtowne Resort? Share your experiences!