“Avoid unless desperate. Better dining in town.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Pub at the Inn at Perry Cabin - CLOSED

The Pub at the Inn at Perry Cabin
Cuisines: American, International, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Santa Monica, CA
“Avoid unless desperate. Better dining in town.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Okay, it was partially my fault for ordering chicken, which I haven't ordered in any restaurant for over 5 years. But I just found the menu so uninspiring, especially after seeing plain 'ol crabcake, scallops, fish, etc., on every menu in town. And I was intrigued by the bacon crepe the chicken came with. I did get raw oysters for an appetizers, which were good, and my wife's plain 'ol scallops were good, but the chicken was really dry, and the crepe was thick and chewy. Look very carefully at the menu before deciding to eat here. I thought the options at Purser's Pub were a little more unique (Oyster Pot Pie, anybody?) and more affordable.

Even if I had looked at the menu beforehand, I probably would have chosen Sherwood's Landing for a great service experience, but I won't make that mistake again! Water glass did not get filled a single time while we were there (until we asked when we asked for our check), and our empty plates (and empty water glasses) sat in front of us for a good 15 minutes before anybody checked to see if we were done or if they could remove our plates.

We should have gone back to St. Michaels Crab and Steakhouse or Marcoritaville for great seafood.

I still gave it a 3 because my wife did like her scallops and my oysters were decent. Otherwise it's a boring restaurant with poor service.

• Visited June 2012

Clarksville, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A capital experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

I love 4 and 5 star restaurants. This one certainly rates right up there in the category of 5 star restaurants in the DC area where we live. The 5 course paired tasting menu was what we had and it was a learning experience as well as a voyage for my taste buds. Our food/wine server was very professional and knowledgeable. I'm happy we had the culinary experience here and will revisit Sherwood's Landing on our next trip to St. Michaels.

Visited July 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Go for lunch. Dinner maybe.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

While staying at the Inn at Perry Cabin, we at their signature restaurant to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The restaurant is very nice, but it seemed like the main staff was all away for the 4th of July week and they brought in others to take over. We can't call the service bad, per se, just awkward. No smiles, no welcome, no bread, three wines on the wine list not available, the compliments of the chef coming at the end of the meal 'cause they forgot.m it didn't really matter as we were in relaxation mode on a beautiful night.

What did matter was the food at dinner was just not very good. (more on lunch later). The tuna tartar was very much like every other restaurant on the planet, the seafood collection was interesting but lacked flavor, which happens to be one of the top things I look for in food. Main courses were a disappointment as well. The butter-infused lobster was solid, but the risotto undercooked. The overlooked lamb would have been an even greater disappointment if there was enough to eat.

Having said all of this about dinner, I really believe we experienced the evening on an off night. How could we tell?

Lunch was phenomenal. We sat outside and enjoyed two sandwiches which could change the way we look at anything between slices of bread in the future.

I had the trout and pear sandwich, thinking that I'll order healthy. Whoa... This was amazing and rich with the trout, cheese and pear spread combining for a flavor bomb that made me wish I lived closer.

My wife had the lobster grilled cheese / lobster bisque combo. We should have ordered this for dinner. The proportion of bread, lump lobster meat and cheese was perfect and to wash down with a bisque that slammed the palette with lobster broth to wash down was a treat to repeat (today perhaps).

Do try this signature restaurant. If you can, go for lunch for their cant miss experience. I believe we got an off night for the staff and we'll try again.

Fairfax, Virginia, United States
“Tourist Lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

This place is definitely for tourist (us). Food was OK and our college break watress was friendly.

Visited May 2012
Houston
“Hit & Miss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

Stayed at the Inn for three nights to celebrate 25th aniv. I didn't want to eat at Sherwoods given what I'd read but had no choice as the only other nice place I knew about was Theos and it was closed on Tuesday...........so I took a chance on Sherwoods.
First let me say the place was gorgeous. Candles everywhere, even hanging from the ceiling. The view out our window was like a painting. Service was a bit slow but hey, it's the country. My wife had the Kale salad to start and it was great. Now the bad news:

Wine list was priced too high. My wifes steak was really bad. She couldn't eat more than a couple of bites and she loves steak. I took a bite, had a slight spoiled taste but we didn't get sick so that was fortunate. My cold seafood platter (shrimp, crab & ??) was tasteless and the chocolate dessert like a jello pudding. Overall an expensive mistake.
A previous reviewer said not to ignor trip advisor.....he's right.
I gave it an average rating because it's very nice and the breakfasts we had there were wonderful.

Visited May 2012