“Awesome steamed crabs”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Since I was a guest and didn't pay, I can't speak to the cost, but the steamed crabs were fantastic. They were cooked just right and not overseasoned. All the accoutrements were provided as well. The steamed clams were ok. Others in our group enjoyed the crab salad and scallops. We sat outside but under cover. It was a busy loud place but service was pretty good. I would go back again, but probably only if I was a guest of someone else. I know how expensive crabs are these days....

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Tourist trap comes to mind...Way overpriced, tiny portions, blah food. I ordered a caesar salad with additional grilled shrimp that cost an extra $9 dollars. When my order came, the salad was on a dessert sized plate and on top of the salad were 5 (???) tiny shrimp. That was it. My soda came on one of those small plastic glasses that restaurants give to children and it was mainly ice cubes. I was charged $18.50 for my order.

My husband's experience was the same; less than a cup of thin, lukewarm cream of crab soup; a sandwich with about a 1/4 of a fish portion and about 12 fries. His beer came in an slightly larger plastic cup that was no bigger than maybe 7 oz. Between the two of us our bill was over $50 dollars.

On the plus side our harried waitress was nice and attentive, but I went to use the restroom and I was really surprised when I found our waitress and a colleage scrubbing the toilets and mopping the floor!!! Talk about hygiene! The same person serving food and scrubbing toilets.

4  Thank Susie_M20142014
Reviewed July 20, 2014

My wife and I and 2 friends were told that this is the place to go for seafood in St. Michaels. All four of us agreed that our meals were nothing special any yet pricey. If that wasn't enough, we were surprised to see our drinks were below par and yet cost $9 and $10. I don't know why they have the word-of-mouth reputation they do but I would find somewhere else to eat dinner. A dozen crabs 0 $54? Give me a break!

Reviewed July 18, 2014

The food was not in line at all with their prices. I have been coming to The Crab Claw once a year or so since the 70's, and what was once a "must see", is now a "don't bother". The portions were ridiculouly small for the prices, and we had to send a fried platter back twice because it was so overcooked. They clearly let the Food Network and Food Channel shows and visits go to their heads. Sad to say that was my last visit ever. Not worth it.

1  Thank wfravel
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I was in St. Michaels for a Day on The Bay cruise from Annapolis. The Crab Claw is right on the dock outside the museum. Service is quick. The employees are mostly high school and college students working during the summer. I was undecided between the crab cake platter(two crab cakes with sides) or the crab cake sandwich( one crab cake on a roll with 2 sides) I decided on the sandwich which was the right decision. The crab cake was quite large and full of crab meat. Baltimore Magazine and Southern Living both rate the one of the best crab cakes in Maryland. If you are in St. Michaels treat yourself to the Crab Claw and get a crab cake. You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Larry4444