“Poor Service”

Cuisines: American, Delicatessen, Bar, Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I've been to Big Pickle on several occasions with a large party and been disappointed with the service all times. The ambiance is nice upstairs and when they get live music. But I am also biased because I am not a huge sports bar fan and the downstairs is lined with bigscreens that play sports on a constant basis. Not impressed. Food was alright, but a little overpriced.

1  Thank Liz L

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I were visiting St. Michael's and the surrounding area for a weekend away. We went to the Big Pickle for lunch and to warm up from the cold and windy day outside. The restaurant is decorated nicely, very modern. However, it took at least 15 minutes for anyone to come over to our table to take our drink order. As I was asking the waitress about a question on a glass of wine, she was not paying attention to me. She was looking at something else on the menu, therefore I had to repeat myself. 15 minutes later, I finally got my wine...way too long to wait for a drink. We ordered a tomato and mozzarella salad to share as an appetizer, however we received our meals first. We had to remind the manager of our salad order.

The food was delicious. Our sandwiches were full of flavor and our salad, once we received it, was excellent as well. Unfortunately, we never saw our waitress again. She visited other tables next to us, but she never came to check on us. My husband needed a refill on his drink. Finally, my husband went to ask for the manager. The manager came over after a few minutes, and we told her the food was great, but the service was awful. Unfortunately, she just gave us excuses of how busy they were...definitely not a good excuse to me, a restaurant should know how to handle busy times. The waitress finally came over with our check. By this time, we were cold (the restaurant was very drafty) and very frustrated. The waitress gave us the same excuse of how busy they were. I wouldn't go back because the service is not worth the wait for the food.

1  Thank Julie P
209Management, Manager at Big Pickle FoodBar, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

We apologize to any customers that were not satisfied with their experience at The Big Pickle. Currently we are starting a new partnership/ownership. In the matter of days, we will be under new management with a new name! new menu, new smiles, new Flat Screens across the bar, new tables, bar area and dining. The new name at 209 Talbot Street St.Michaels will be released this week so keep checking back with us! We are excited and confident about our changes and becoming an IRISH BAR! Next time in St. Michael's, be sure to stop in to check out what we've done!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stopped in for lunch at about 2:30 PM...what a mistake! We were seated for nearly 15 minutes before anyone even came by to ask about drinks. It took about the same amount of time for the drinks to arrive and get an order placed. One of us ordered the cream of crab soup, the other ordered chili and a Cesar salad. The chili was brought within 5 minutes but it took another 5 or so for the crab soup and salad to arrive. By now drinks are empty but we were the server ran off so quickly we couldn’t order more drinks even though I would have thought she would have asked. Our table only had one place setting so we had to grab silverware and napkin from an unoccupied table. No salt and pepper on the table either. I like to add a little hot sauce to my soup but we never saw the server again after the food was dropped off. No crackers with the chili or soup.

There was a larger party with young children who were allowed to run around like the dining room was a playground. The parents were even encouraging the behavior. While this is not the fault of the establishment, it only added to the bad experience.

The service (or lack thereof) was absolutely awful. It looked like there were plenty of people working. Maybe the kitchen and staff are mismanaged?

On a positive note, the soup was good.

1  Thank Stephen H
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Jaime, the manager was nothing short of superb. On a solo mission of solice and grief after having lost my daughter, I could not have found a better place. Great music, food, companionship, ambience, I love this place. I will Always be back...

3  Thank Carl H
Reviewed November 27, 2012

excellent service, waitrtess was lovely, efficient and hospitable.
The pastrami on rye did the job. Not expensive and the wine was excellent.

1  Thank barnyardMoraira