“One, two, three times the changing rates!”
Review of The Old Brick Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Michaels
The Old Brick Inn
Ranked #1 of 13 St. Michaels B&B and Inns
Maryland
“One, two, three times the changing rates!”
Reviewed August 26, 2008

I have never experienced the arrogance and rudeness of an innkeeper as that of the Old Brick Inn. I still cannot comprehend the condescending treatment we received by someone in the service industry!

My daughter reserved a two-night stay for myself and her sister on June 24, 2008. My younger daughter is expecting a child in October and we wanted to have a nice getaway together. I have stayed at bed and breakfast establishments many times and have never encountered anything like this.

My daughter reserved the reservation on-line and received a confirmation for the three of us in the Scarlet Room (two nights – Saturday and Sunday) for $572.00. Six days before our trip (and with the possible imposition of cancellation fees on the basis of their 14-day policy), she received an email from George stating that their website had a “glitch” and that the cost would now be $748.00 as Sunday is now considered a weekend night and they forgot to charge the $35 extra per night for the third guest. My daughter promptly called them on the Sunday before our Saturday arrival, when she received this email, and spoke to a woman (Bryn). She relayed that we were not interested in paying an additional $176.00 when we had a confirmation in hand for $572.00, and Bryn asked to call her back. When Bryn called back, she agreed that the policy had changed about Sundays and that it should not be retroactive for our reservation. She also agreed to charge us one night of $35 and not the second night. Therefore, they wanted an extra $35.00. We could agree to that and we kept our reservation.

When we arrived on Saturday, suitcases in hand, 1) there were no parking spaces to be found (even though were told that there were enough for all the guests) and we were quite rudely told to park in the bank parking lot (which also was full) or park on the residential street, then, 2) when we went in to confirm our reservation and obtain our room, my daughter was handed a two-page paper to sign. It was flipped over to the signature page agreeing to the fees. She questioned the amount that she was quoted. The clerk flipped it over to page one and we were being charged the additional $35.00 (now our additional charges from the confirmed reservation were $70.00 more). We disagreed, as that was not what had been negotiated. Whereupon, George came out from behind his gate and started to argue with us and attempted to validate his changing of the fees for the third time. In a raised tone of voice, he belittled us for “quibbling over $35.00,” although it was really an additional $70.00.

He asked why we did not call to make a reservation—but I hesitate to state the obvious—why offer online booking if you don’t expect guests to use it? He wanted the customer to assume the cost of his software “glitch”. He told us that we could walk away with no problem. We took him up on that as he was the rudest, most condescending man I have ever encountered and I told him that I had stayed at many bed and breakfasts and had never seen anything like this. He told me that that was my “mistake.” His is not a bed and breakfast but a “boutique hotel”! Excuse me, someone please change the website and take bed and breakfast off of it!

We left. We walked down the street with our luggage and were loading it back into my daughter’s car when George followed us out on the street—not to offer any kind of compromise—but to continue to argue his point about not losing money on the room!!!!!! He continued to berate us on the street in front of several bystanders. (What a big man to yell at three women—I’m certain he would not have done that if our husbands had been with us).

I don’t know what is wrong with this man but we were just trying to take him up on his offer to walk away. He even told my daughter (who was angry) not to cry! We were so disgusted that we left St. Michaels entirely and I will probably never go back there again! Someone ought to inform the mayor, city council, Chamber of Commerce, etc., that this man is not a good ambassador for the city of St. Michaels. I thoroughly agree with weddingbell09 (posting in tripadvisor.com) and I am so glad that someone else has encountered this man’s arrogance and rudeness because people that we tell about it have a hard time believing what happened to us!

From what we could tell as we literally only set one foot in the door, the pool is tiny, we were not impressed, and if the breakfasts are as disappointing as what others have said, I would have not agreed with even the original price. We certainly would not have wanted George to have anything to do with our food preparation. Scary thought!

From other postings I know that the “principals” of the Old Brick Inn obviously monitor this site and post responses, at times, with excuses. Don’t be fooled. I am not saying that this is the case here; however, I also know that business owners are not above posting good reviews for themselves. Consumers beware! It is good to have this kind of forum where you can see some of the real experiences of other patrons. I don’t know anything about the ownership changing hands as we have never stayed there, but there is no excuse for this man to follow us out onto the crowded street and continue to argue with us when he told us to walk away—he didn’t want us to stay there! George is certainly not fit to deal with guests and if he is a principal, as he says that he is, then he would be better served to let someone with customer service skills (and for the rates they charge, someone with impeccable customer service skills) greet and work with his guests! My daughters and I will never get back the time that we wished to spend together, in a relaxing atmosphere, before the birth of my grandchild. We managed to salvage our weekend and I will certainly not allow someone like George to ruin our time together. We just were not going to be extorted into paying a bill that changed on the day of check-in, for the third time! Unbelievable!!!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank MishaMaryland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 24, 2008

We arrived at the old brick inn and were immediately greeted and given suggestions for dinner. The staff at the inn was very friendly. Our room was in the main house and we found it to be very clean. The balcony was small that overlooked the pool, but other than that it was great. Had all the ammenities we needed. We found the location to be ideal. You could walk to everything and everywhere. Breakfast was absolutely delicious. We certainly got more than we expected. We came for a little rest and relaxation to celebrate our 8th anniversary and my husband and I found that at the Old Brick Inn. We are looking forward to coming again in the future.

• Liked — location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
MD
Reviewed August 21, 2008

My husband and I have been visiting B & Bs for the past twelve years so we have certain expectations we would like to have met. This inn did not meet them. We arrived at the inn at 7pm after sitting in Bay Bridge traffic for six hours! I was sort of expecting a little something extra waiting for us upon arrival, after all, we couldn't cancel or we would of had to pay anyway. We met the business manager who was very nice. She checked us in and told us how to get into our room at the Kemp House. That was the last we saw of her not to mention we never did meet the inn keepers (whom we were told by other guests, have just purchased the inn). Our room (Love Letters), was one of the least expensive and understandable so. It is in the attic which made it difficult for my husband since he is 6'2". Paint was also peeling off of one of the walls. The bathroom was small with a shower stall with cracked tile. When we first looked at the website, it indicated "gourmet" breakfast. Pancakes and ham does not qualify as a gourmet breakfast in our book. Breakfast the next morning was much better with an egg casserole. We personally like individual attention. We like to see the inn keepers and get recommendations on dinner and what to see and where to go. If you are into that, stay at the Paronage Inn or elsewhere because this place is too large for that (more of a hotel feel). Our room was cozy but for the price, I would of had better room accomodations at a Hampton Inn.

• Liked — Location in St. Michael's, you could walk to everything
  • Disliked — Customer service, not being in the main house
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BBgirlMd
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 6, 2008

I am getting married in St. Michaels next June and tried to reserve a block of rooms for our guests. I was called back by George, who called himself one of the "principals" of the hotel. I was treated so rudely by him on the phone that my co-workers overhearing the call were shocked.

First Geoge asked me if I knew how much the room rates were, quoting me between $150-and $500 a night. Then he told me that they don't need loud, drunken wedding guests at their Inn disturbing other guests. I was shocked by how jaded he was, especially since I had my parents' friends in mind. I said I don't think my guests would act rudely, and in response he asked if everyone would be "50 or older." I said I didn't know the exact ages of the guest but I that I am also reserving rooms at a more "family-friendly" establishment. He also said that they sell out all the time and don't need wedding group business. They don't need any group business. I would keep this in mind if you are planning a wedding in the area and steer clear of Old Brick Inn!

Stayed August 2008
4 Thank weddingbell09
Mount Sinai, NY
Reviewed July 24, 2008

Lovely accommodations, great location, terrific breakfasts. Spent 4 nights at the Old Brick Inn for an anniversary (35th) and had a great time. The inn keeper (owner) could not be more accommodating. The Inn description of their facilities was accurate. Check for worthwhile specials that the Inn offers. Go for the Rebecca T. Ruark Skipjack sail, the Captain is "salty" and a knowledgeable bayman.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank 1obiwan
Virginia
Reviewed July 7, 2008

The Old Brick Inn has nice rooms and great breakfast. The courtyard was very nice to lounge in and use the pool (small pool - nice to sit in). It is situated right in the center of town so it was close to shopping, restaurants, and the Chesapeake Museum. We never had to use our car! The people at the Inn couldn't have been nicer. I definitely recommend it for a nice quiet getaway!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — small pool
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Petunia59
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 2, 2008

My husband and I recently stayed at the Old brick Inn for our anniversary. Overall, it was a wonderful experience. The accomodations are lovely, the owners and staff were friendly and helpful with offering suggestions for sightseeing and dining. The breakfast served in the dining room was very good, a great selection of hot and cold breakfast items, something for everyone. The B&B is very conveniently located, right on Talbot St, the heart of St. Michaels with plenty of shopping, dining and drinking establishments. The outdoor pool and hottub are very well maintained and a nice way to relax before dinner. Highly recommended.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — can't think of anything!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank singlis
Parsonage Inn
Parsonage Inn
#2 of 13 in St. Michaels
Wades Point Inn on the Bay

Been to The Old Brick Inn? Share your experiences!