“Nice B & B”
Review of The Old Brick Inn

The Old Brick Inn
Ranked #1 of 13 St. Michaels B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband, daughter and I stayed at the Old Brick Inn for a three night stay. The inn is located in the center of town and is in walking distance to all attractions. The accommodations were nice. Room was very clean and nicely appointed. Very friendly and accommodating staff There was also a pool located in a cute court yard. It was nice to go for a swim after a day of sightseeing. The Inn is also close to some of the best restaurants in town. Bistro, Ava's, Theo's and Gina's are a few houses away.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our one year anniversary in St. Michael's this past weekend and we stayed at the Old Brick Inn. We were lucky enough to stay in the Chesapeake Room, which is the honeymoon suite. Our jaws dropped when we first saw the room because it was so beautiful. The staff was extremely gracious and friendly. They went out of their way to make things special for us, leaving prosecco, a cheese plate, and chocolates for us in the room. The Old Brick Inn is also in a perfect location...we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go, which is especially convenient if you are visiting the winery or brewery :) I highly recommend The Old Brick Inn....we had an unforgettable time there.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

This was my second time staying at the Old Brick Inn. My fiance and I stayed in 2010 and loved it. On our recent visit we chose a different room, the French Country Room, mainly because it appeared to be a little more romantic and we were there for a very special occasion. When I booked the room the main reason for choosing that room was that it had a jacuzzi tub. We arrived on a Sunday and had a very special dinner and returned to our room to enjoy the jacuzzi tub, however, to our dismay the jets in the tub were broken. At the time we chalked it up to bad luck.

The following day we mentioned to the front desk staff that the jets in the tub were broken. We were informed that they would make a note of it or look into it (cannot recall the exact words).

Upon arriving home after three days and two nights at the Old Brick Inn I decided to leave reviews for the wonderful restaurants and lodging we had during our trip. I was extremely dismayed to read a comment for the Old Brick Inn dated 10/2012 from another patron about the same issue in the French Country Room. I immediately sent an email to the innkeeper about what had happened and how it appeared that they were already aware that the jets in the jacuzzi tub were broken long ago but failed to be upfront about it. Had I been informed upon booking the French Country Room two months prior to my visit that the jets were not operable, I simply would have chosen a different room as one of the main reasons I chose that room was because of the jacuzzi tub. My email either was not received or was ignored as I did not receive a response from the staff at the Old Brick Inn.

HONESTY IS ALWAYS THE BEST POLICY!

Room Tip: Don't choose the French Country Room if you intend on using the jacuzzi tub!
1  Thank Michele K
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I'm really sad to advise against this hotel, because we honeymooned here, in what used to be the Kemp House, 27 years ago and it was a wonderful stay with a very nice staff. We visited again some years ago and it was still lovely, but has since been subsumed by the Old Brick Inn and lost it's charm. It's an old house, so you expect it to be a little cramped here and there and I understand that the rooms are sometimes oddly configured because of renovations to add bathrooms, etc., but there was really very little thought put into the comfort of the guest in Bay Hundred in the Kemp House. There are some other reviews that will give you more details. The bathrooms really need to be updated and the room needed a more thoughtful arrangement of furniture. There was a greasy stain on our bedspread, so I was instantly on high alert about touching anything in the room that wasn't changed regularly. The carpet needed cleaning. It was a very steamy couple of days and the air conditioner could not be adjusted, so we were frequently uncomfortable.

We had two breakfasts, one was french toast (which was fine) served with sausages by a cheerful cook, but I do think it odd that you are automatically served sausage when so many people today are vegetarian. Nobody asked. The second day's breakfast was pretty much disgusting. Unpleasantly pungent eggs cooked with big chunks of ham (that had not been sauteed first), so all I could find to eat were the few little pieces of watermelon on the side and some stale raisin bran. I gathered from the hassled and unpleasant person who was serving that the "cook called in," and she said she was sorry things weren't up to and par because she was the only one there (which also meant she was very stressed when we need to check-out). Did I say unpleasant. I know people have bad days, but when your guest have paid $330 to spend a couple of nights in your establishment... One last complaint. We made our reservations in June for an August stay. In July we received a message from the OBI telling us that they wanted to honor teachers by offering a 15% discount. My husband is a teacher and I thought, how nice! So I wrote to let them know and find out how to redeem the 15% because there are so many caveats about refunds. I was told that was only for people who reserved AFTER the message went out and they forgot to include that exclusion in the message. I did ask nicely again, reminding them that we had been there a few times before and that my husband was a retiring teacher, but I got a very terse response stating that if they did something nice like that for everyone they would be out of business. So much for goodwill.

3  Thank momofliv
George W, General Manager at The Old Brick Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear momofliv,

We are very sorry you were disappointed with your stay. We certainly would not want that to be a lasting impression. We would like to invite you back for another stay, but we do want to respond to your comments.

As to the breakfasts, clearly we did not please you. While it is not your problem, on the second morning two of our breakfast staff had medical emergencies. Leaving us in a very abnormal situation that resulted in an offering that was not to our normal standards. Relative to your comment about vegetarian guests, during the reservation process, online or by phone, all guests are asked if they have any special requests or dietary restrictions relative to breakfast. In addition, each day we post the breakfast menu for the next morning in the main lobby so that any guest may provide any special request they might have for an alternate breakfast.

As to the room condition, your room, and every room at the inn is checked prior to guest arrival so we are at a loss to understand why you did not provide us the opportunity to remedy the situation as it existed. We are alarmed that your visit was so disappointing, and if you would be willing to identify yourself to the inn staff, we would like to offer you a return visit on us. Since TA reviews are anonymous, we cannot do that until you contact me at the inn.

As to the discount situation, to my knowledge, each and every teacher was given the discount whether the res was made before or after the Ad was run, Again, if you contact us, we are more than happy to provide you a discount refund. You will need to provide unique info to prove your identity but I am sure that is not a problem.

-Sincerely,
Brad S.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Good location in town and also close to the Marina; Everything you need is in walking distance. We stayed in the Elizabeth's Rose Garden room. The room was clean and comfortable.
Very nice and friendly owners. Breakfast was very good.
I highly recommend this wonderful B&B.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mireille V
Reviewed July 28, 2013

For the price I expected perfection. The tv did not work, bathroom walls were filthy, shower doors had mildew, and kitchen floor needed some work. Although quaint and the staff were very helpful and friendly, for the money I would rather stay somewhere else. And you cannot bring your alcohol in the building...they want you to purchase their drinks....RIDICULOUS!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and I just celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary with a trip away (without the children) and chose St. Michaels as our destination. I was not disappointed in the Old Brick Inn at all. We stayed in the main house Chesapeake Room which was beautifully furnished. I highly recommend staying at this wonderful Bed and Breakfast. The room was fantastic, the breakfast was excellent, and the location is perfect.

Room Tip: If you wish to use the small pool stay in the main house or adjacent carriage house. The Kemp House...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Parsonage Inn
Parsonage Inn
#2 of 13 in St. Michaels
Wades Point Inn on the Bay

Been to The Old Brick Inn? Share your experiences!