“Being there was so peaceful, quiet, and very romantic.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Oaks Waterfront Inn and Events

The Oaks Waterfront Inn and Events
Ranked #1 of 1 Royal Oak B&B and Inns
Dover, Delaware
“Being there was so peaceful, quiet, and very romantic.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

My husband surprised me with this trip for our anniversary. We could only stay one night but one night was enough to fall in love with this wonderful inn. Our room was everything we wanted. We had a beautiful fireplace, a very comfortable King bed, and a balcony with a view of the garden and the front of the property. The best part of our room was the double jetted tub. It was huge and so relaxing. We were so pleased with the activities on the property. We went canoeing and saw jellyfish and very beautiful homes on the bank of the water. Then we played outdoor shuffleboard and horseshoes. The former was new to us and very fun. Taking a stroll around the grounds was quite romantic in the evening. We loved sitting on the bank of the water talking especially under the twinkling stars. Everyone was so nice and polite and we had such a great time relaxing and enjoying each other in the stillness and the quiet of the inn. We look forward to future visits.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lcbfly

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
George Town, Grand Cayman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

My husband and I searched the entire state of Maryland for te perfect weding location where we could have everything in one location. We stumbled upon The Oaks and fell in love. The venue was a perfect location because you get waterfront with a beautiful reception room just off a quiet cove on the Chesapeake Bay. Our ceremony felt so unique because of the serene environment, calm water and the breeze through the trees. The boat ride to the ceremony was just the special touch to set the tone and add such a tender moment for me and my Dad., The Oaks was perfect..the grounds, the dock and the ballroom are beautiful and we received SOOO many compliments from our guests that our wedding was the most beautiful that they have ever attended.
The food was incredible. If food is important to you... you should seriously consider The Oaks if you are planning a wedding. Our memories of our wedding day will go on forever. Thanks Nicole, Carla, Candy and everyone at The Oaks. You are the best!!

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank ehl1225
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

I cannot say enough about The Oaks - what a beautiful location for a reception over-looking the water, interior was beautifully decorated from the colors on the walls, wall decor, warm tones, very clean, just PERFECT! The service was amazing!! Nicole- the event coordinator is just wonderful. She is very prompt, easy to get along with, quick to respond to emails / phone calls, very accommodating... Candi, the owner, was also onsite for my wedding weekend and was very sweet. The entire wait staff and bartenders are very friendly, service is great, quick to get you what you need. Carla, my server, was especially wonderful! I would like to take her home with me. The food was exceptional. Our wedding was about 2 weeks ago and I am still getting emails, comments, phone calls from friends and family just raving about the food. Our Hors d'Oeurves were great... we went with the bacon wrapped scallops, lump crab canapés with avocado mousse (everyone's favorite...I dont even like seafood and thought they were great), fresh fruit & Cheese display, mini blt’s (another favorite) and Seared Tuna Wontons with Seaweed Salad and Plum Sauce. Dinner Selections - Grilled Flat Iron Steak and Crabcake with French Beans, Parisienne Potatoes, Wild Mushrooms and Oyster Cream Sauce. The other owner, Paul and Nicole's husband, Marcus, are the chefs. I didn’t speak much with them, but they sure can cook! Nicole was very helpful through the entire process especially the night of the reception.. she made sure everything went smoothly!! Also, I met with Nicole the Friday prior to the reception to give her all of my decorations, favors, centerpieces, etc... We went over how and where I wanted everything and of course it was all perfect! Thanks to The Oaks, we had the most wonderful reception I could ever imagine having! And our guests have nothing but wonderful things to say as well! I HIGHLY recommend them for your wedding reception.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank happybride88
starlou
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

We attended a wedding recently and I was blown away by this venue. It was so cozy and unique and the people there were very accommodating. I am from out of town, so it was a great country getaway for my husband and I. At the wedding it was so personalized and unlike any other wedding I've been to. The food was some of the best wedding food I've ever had!! I talked to the bride after and she couldn't stop talking about how wonderful everything had went and how happy she was. She loved her coordinator, Nicole, and everything was taken care for her at a reasonable price. Staying at this in was a pleasure, it was so cool to have all the family and friends stay together at the inn. Before you listen to a negative review, check the date and the comments left as well. This place has a friendly new staff and is the absolute perfect place for a wedding or relaxing waterfront vacation!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank starlou
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

We stayed at The Oaks for a few nights as a romantic getaway and it was fantastic, the food was amazing and the views only better. They are just off of the Chesapeake Bay in MD, and walking on the dock at sunset was amazing. The service was great and the rooms very cozy. Even got to feel young again and play a little putt putt and shuffle board. Overall I am extremely happy with our stay, and we will definitely try to make this a yearly trip.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BrklynTravelers32
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

My sister got married at The Oak's this summer. The venue was beautiful and the food was wonderful, but the management was a nightmare to work with. Approximately 5-10 minutes after the rehearsal dinner ended they turned the lights out on the remaining guests. My sister only saw the wedding coordinator ONCE the entire day. My grandmother and step-mom's flowers went missing for the ceremony. The reception ended at 10:00 pm and at 10:02 pm they were vacuuming, cleaning off tables, and trying to get us out of there. During the reception my sister had setup a cigar bar for all the men to smoke. A number of the guests were outside smoking cigars and as soon as the clock struck 10 they turned the lights out on them!! After spending tens of thousands of dollars plus thousands of dollars for gratuity you would think they would be more considerate and not shut the lights on people as soon as the party ends.

• Stayed June 2010
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank alyserose
OaksManager, Manager at The Oaks Waterfront Inn and Events, responded to this review, September 8, 2010
Here at The Oaks we have fabulous couples who throw wonderful events. Due to that and the fact that we provide an open bar at our events, at the end of the night guests are quite often having a grand time and do not want to leave.

I would like to clarify our end of event policies.

One the contracted event time is over and the music stops we turn on the lights. This is similar to what you would experience at closing time at a bar. At that point our servers do start clearing away trash and discarded drinks. We also provide a shuttle for all of our Saturday weddings that is waiting out front to take guests to an after party or back to their hotels. As guests leave, if they still have a drink they would like, we offer them plastic cups to pour their drink into so that they can take it with them. After about 30 minutes we do start to request that any remaining guests either move into our living room or to another part of our large property. This allows us to start vacuuming and mopping the floor and setting up for the after wedding breakfast we offer the next morning to all wedding guests staying at The Oaks. This also allows the DJ or Band to break down and start moving their equipment out.

I find it very unfortunate that the bride had a problem with her flowers, however that why we have a recommended vendor list. The florist she chose to use was not on that list.

On the day of the wedding, I am here from 8:00am to serve breakfast until everything is finished at the end of the night generally between 11:30pm and 1:00am. I am also back the following morning at 8:00am to serve the after wedding breakfast we offer to inn guests. On the wedding day, I am responsible for setting up the ballroom the way the bride envisioned, putting out favors, checking centerpieces, setting up the ceremony site, and just generally overseeing the entire operation. This allows the bride to get her hair and makeup done, go out to lunch and generally not have to worry about a thing. Approximately half an hour before the ceremony our head server goes over to the bridal cottage where she assists the bride with any last minute preparations allowing me to get the grandparents, parents, groom and groomsmen ready to go down the aisle. Once I send them off, I go to the Bridal cottage and cue the bridesmaids, flower girl and finally the bride.

I did really appreciate the lovely Thank You note I received from the bride after her wedding. It was a beautiful and fun event.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

I was excited about staying at The Oaks but quickly found myself very disappointed. For the price, you get a moderate room that reminded me more of my Grandmother's guest room than a quaint Inn. I was hoping to sleep in, but without room darkening shades you're up when the sun rises. The towels were rough and the bathroom was more like an apartment building than anything that felt pampering. Although the room was clean, it was worn and needed some updates and general maintenance. The grounds were nice, but after a long hot day in town a dip in the pool was not in the cards as I found the gate to the pool locked by 6pm. Breakfast was included and was good, but a little sparse. Just two small pancakes staring up at me from the plate.

All in all I was really let down and felt I paid WAY too much for what I was given. Would I return to the area? Absolutely. Would I return to the Oaks or have a wedding there? Not a chance.

Also, a hint to the Inn; wireless internet would be a great idea.

• Stayed August 2010
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank designgirl73
This guest wanted to stay in our least expensive room and with that they got a charming queen room.

As you would expect to find in a country inn built in 1748, our rooms come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes and amenities ranging from double Jacuzzi tubs to private decks to gas fireplaces. Our less expensive rooms still have beautiful views and private bathrooms. The benefit of those is that many of them cost less than the chain motel just down the road, plus you get to enjoy our amazing waterfront property, complimentary beverages and snacks, hot homemade breakfast and on site activities.

For safety reasons our pool does close when our front office closes. However our guests are invited to enjoy our canoes, bikes, shuffle board court, horseshoe pits, putt putt, badminton and other amenities. If they are looking to relax, we have complimentary beverages and snacks in our living room and I recommend sitting with a glass of wine in one of our Adirondack chairs on the water.

As for breakfast, we serve a 3 course hot breakfast with fresh fruit, hot out of the oven croissants, bacon or sausage and their choice of pancakes, French toast or an omelet. If for any reason someone wanted seconds, or even one of each, we would happily oblige!

All of our rooms have black out shades, the inn is equipped with wireless internet and if you read our reviews you will see that weddings here are a wonderful and beautiful affair. I am not sure how a person could judge that without ever having seen one, especially because our ballroom is not open to Inn guests who stay here during the week.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Royal Oak
#2 of 13 in St. Michaels
Robert Morris Inn
Robert Morris Inn
#2 of 5 in Oxford

Been to The Oaks Waterfront Inn and Events? Share your experiences!