“A magical wedding venue” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Oaks Waterfront Inn and Events

The Oaks Waterfront Inn and Events
Ranked #1 of 1 Royal Oak B&B and Inns
Washington, DC
“A magical wedding venue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2008

My husband and I hosted our daughter's wedding at the Oaks in late April. It was a magical weekend. The setting is simply exquisite. The Inn is beautiful - lovingly restored so it keeps its historic feel but with all new amenities - updated bathrooms, charming furnishings, some rooms with gas fireplaces. The food at breakfast, our rehearsal dinner, and the wedding reception was excellent and the service superb. We couldn't be happier. The chef helped us design lovely menus, and Heather worked with us for months putting all the details in place. We found every staff person to be totally accommodating and gracious. In addition, the Oaks makes sure that every event is well-staffed so our guests were never neglected, and even assigned one staffer to look after the bride and groom (and the parents) exclusively. We felt very pampered! The price for all of this is not inexpensive but we felt as though it was worth every penny.

• Liked — Beautiful setting. Beautiful inn. Wonderful service.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
      Rooms
1 Thank BoisChatton

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Laurel, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2008

My husband and I have stayed at The
Oaks a number of times over the past few years and each time have been so pleased with our stay. The staff are friendly, especially Heather and Michaela. We love the Waterfront Cottage becauseof the extra privacy but when we've stayed in the main house, we have had just as good an experience. They serve a great breakfast - Crab Omelet with Lobster Sauce and Blueberry Pancakes with A beautiful fresh fruit cup and croissant. I'm pregant and they were kind enough to give me seconds of anything I asked for. It is, quite simply, a beautiful and tranquil setting. When we've stayed there over the years we have seen swans, geese and even a bald eagle.

It is defintely my idea of an beautiful and relaxing get away. I can't imagine why anyone would not have a great experience!

Stayed December 2007
4 Thank shrink78
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

I recently attended a wedding at the oaks. The wedding itself was beautiful and fun because of the people who attended, but I would never recommend this place. Ever. The staff was so rude the entire weekend it was unimaginable. It is difficult to describe using words the attitude we received from the staff. From the moment we walked in the door to the time we left I felt like I was in the twilight zone. It was as if the staff and particularly the innkeeper/wedding planner were trying to make the stay as miserable as possible. In addition to dealing with attitude from these people for normal requests such as a fork to eat breakfast with. We had a leak in the ceiling of our room. When we came in from the rehearsal dinner there was water dripping from the ceiling onto the mattress completely soaking it. We called the innkeeper who said she would take care of it. Her idea of taking care of it was to call the room above us over and over again even though no one was in it. She did nothing else to help the
situation. Because the water continued to drip into our room I had to go find the guest list at the front desk and track down the people who were staying in the room to turn off the water. Luckily they were in another part of the the inn. We contacted the innkeeper again to explain that we were not able to sleep
in the bed in its condition. One half of the bed was completely soaked. She offered the following solutions: we could flip over the soaked mattress and sleep on the other side, we could sleep on the couch in the lobby, but we would still have to pay for the room or we could checkout in the middle of the night
on a holiday weekend and hopefully find another place. They refused to pay for a room at another hotel or assist us in anyway to find a place at that time of night. We were lucky enough to be able to sleep in a friend's room. The rest of the weekend we dealt with antagonistic comments from the staff such as "I
thought you were checking out" whenever we crossed paths. Meanwhile we would have checked out, but we were in a wedding at the place.
To cap it all off upon checkout when I placed the keys on the counter, the innkeeper said I was "all set" and tried to disappear into the back room without giving me a copy of the bill. They of course charged us for the night we spent in our friend's room and refused to deduct it from our bill.
This was the worst experience I have ever had at any hotel or B&B I have stayed in. These people do not deserve any business.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — the staff's attitude
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank TimSmith25
heather1972, Innkeeper at The Oaks Waterfront Inn and Events, responded to this review, September 25, 2007
I am the innkeeper/wedding coordinator at The Oaks that this gentleman is referring to and I feel that I must respond. We are a small 15 room country inn and we host wedding receptions every weekend.
This man was irate from the moment he walked in the door because he got lost on the way here. He was quite agitated when they checked in and the front desk person speeded up the check in process and gave him the key so they he could quickly get to his room to relax and calm down.

I received a call about midnight that there was a leak from the ceiling in their room. All of the guests had been to a rehearsal dinner and were just returning from the party. My experience with ceiling leaks is that it is usually related to something in the bathroom from the room above. I told the women who called that this is what it probably was and I would investigate. I called the room above and there was no answer. I continued to call because I could hear the shower running from my apt. After about 3 minutes someone did answer and said “yes, I mistakenly left my shower running and left the room”. After the shower was off I knew that the leak would stop momentarily. I told the women this and she said okay. Within two minutes I received another call, this time from an irate man. I told him that I would meet him at his room. There was no more leaking, but there was a small 5inch square damp spot on the bed. I offered to turn the mattress over and change the sheets. He was ranting and raving that the ceiling was going to fall in and we did not live up to our contract and he was going to sue me. I assured him that the leak had stopped and the ceiling wasn’t going to fall in. He would not stop yelling about suing me and what a ****hole this place is. I offered to find them another room elsewhere and the women mentioned that she knew that there was an empty room because a friend of their’s had a sick child and couldn’t make it. I went and got the key for the other room and gave it to them. He continued to say that he was going to sue and he was going to check out the next day. I agreed that it was best that he leave. I told him that I would help them find another room tomorrow.

The gentleman came down to breakfast the next morning and threw his keys on the table next to where I was standing. He asked about changing the sheets on the bed and I said “I thought that you were going to leave”. He said no he wasn’t because he was attending a wedding here that day. (Everyone staying here was attending the same wedding.). I never saw him after that until after the wedding reception had begun.

I had the pleasure of serving this man later that evening at the wedding and I was very friendly at all times.

I was at the desk when he checked out. We take care of the charges to the room upon check in and he had already received a receipt. I did not refund him any money because he was so rude and he did spend two nights at the inn. Normally I would have, but considering his rudeness, I couldn’t do it.

I do try to always live by the rule, “The customer is always right”, but in this case it was not so. In my eight years as innkeeper here, I have never come across a person like this before and I hope that I never will again. They do say that there are some people that you just can’t please.
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2007

We stayed here using a midweek special and had a great time. The only scheduled event we had for our 2 day stay was breakfast between 8:30and9:30. From the moment we were greeted by the staff we knew we found a new get-away that we will be returning to when ever we can. You can stay as busy or unbusy as much as you want. Staff was great. The free activities include-swimming, canoeing, biking, horseshoes, volleyball, putting(on the green). I would highly reccomend this B&B!

Stayed August 2007
6 Thank harryo99
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2007

Our son and daughter-in-law were married at The Oaks on October 21, 2006, and they could not have chosen a better location. The wedding party and family stayed at the Inn for the weekend, and the rooms and
breakfasts were first rate, as well as the service. The staff could not have been more accomodating nor the setting more picturesque. We hosted the rehearsal dinner at the Inn and were very pleased with our
decision to do so after looking at other venues. The wedding was all one could hope for; we highly recommend The Oaks!

Stayed October 2006
4 Thank AlanPeters
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2007

My husband and I were planning a much needed weekend away and, based on the Oaks website, decided to stay there. We rented the "Honeymoon Cottage," which is a separate building from the main house. We have pretty high standards regarding cleanliness and comfort and were extremely pleased when we opened the door to the cottage. It consisted of 3 rooms, a kitchen (not fully functional but it did have a small fridge) a comfortable living room with a gas fireplace and a lovely bedroom with a very comfortable bed. The cottage was very clean and had plenty of towels and toilettries. And we had maid service every day. The staff was very pleasant and helpful with directions and restaurant ideas for dinner. Our stay included a wonderful breakfast in the main house's dining room. The selections were excellent. The three mornings we were there we had delicious choices such as crab meat omelet, french toast and blueberry pancakes. And wonderfully warm croissants. Even though we stayed there in the dead of winter (the river was actually frozen!) it was a wonderful experience. The only negative comment I have is that the shower head was not as forceful as we like and there were a few minor repairs that needed to be done, such as there was no towel rack in the bathroom. With that said, I'd highly recommend the Oaks and will definitely stay there again-even in winter!

Stayed February 2007
4 Thank caomokitten
Coatesville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2006

We attended a wedding here is August and it was simply breathtaking. The ceremony was outdoors by the water and it was perfectly shaded and set up. There is quite a long walk to the ceremony spot, so ladies watch the skinny heals because you will be stuck in the ground. As a recent bride I loved the fact that the girls and the bride were given the honeymoon cottage to get ready in and emerged from it one by one where they then crossed the small bridge before walking up the aisle.

The cocktail hour was held on the the back lawn and in the pavillion over the water. Two large bars were set up outside and ran very smoothly. The hors 'derves left something to be desired as there were only three or four and were not appealing to all palettes.

Dinner was sirloin steak and crab imperial, which was very good in both taste and portion size.

The reception itself was beautiful. Tall candlelabras adorned the tables and the bar was large and set up in an adjacent room so as not to block up traffic in the main reception area. There were several little touches that I am not sure if were the bride's idea or a staple for this venue, but I would highly recommend them. There was a groom's cake in additon to the wedding cake, a candy bar of all white candies when the cake was served, and the bride and groom were sent off to the honeymoon cottage by all guests holding sparklers.

The one drawback was the small dance floor. It there are not going to be a lot of people dancing it's ok, but if you expect all your guests to dance at once it was a little tight and people were definetly catching elbows to the head and getting stepped on.

This was a beautiful wedidng spot and I would recommend doing as much of your wedding outdoors here as possible because the scenery is simply breathtaking.

• Stayed July 2006
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank bsb73080
#2 of 13 in St. Michaels
George Brooks House B&B
George Brooks House B&B
#5 of 13 in St. Michaels

Been to The Oaks Waterfront Inn and Events? Share your experiences!