“Just ok, barely”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Bethesda, Maryland
“Just ok, barely”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I finally tried this place after living here 7 years. Gyro was ok. Sides I ordered were eggplant and spinach. I assumed eggplant was stewed or something, or maybe pan fried. not! it was served deep fried. Like fried circular slices. and really not that tasty. Spinach was steamed. Yummy and healthful. Pita tasted a little stale. Place just seemed a little dirty, ok a lot dirty. maybe mon night is the wrong night to go. I hear fri nights there is live music. Dont care for the sign saying 10% off when use cash. I dont even think they are "allowed" to do that. I understand where they're going with that...they save the credit card fees and all, but make your prices include that small fee.

Visited July 2013

“Good food and easy to get to location”
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We like this place. The appetizers were good. We especially like the falafel and the eggplant. I had the beef stefado which was very good but it would have been better if it came with rice like it used to. The gyro is also very good. The baklava was excellent.

• Visited June 2013
“Underated value and a yummy menu for food and fun”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

For many years we've eaten dinners at this restaurant on a regular basis, mostly EVERY Tuesday night. I have a preference for stewed eggplant (only served on this night), the likes of which I have never experienced anywhere else and wouldn't attempt to cook myself, which I include with any of the entrees ordered.

I never thought to write about this place because it's been like a home away from home for it's delightful variety of entrees, friendliness of service and personnel and value for the money. But having started reading past reviews, I thought it was about time to clear the air about the place.

A lot of retired people come to this place because they know where the good food is, how bountiful the servings are and how hard the owner(s) work to please their customers.
From souvlaki, to Athenian chicken, far from plain spaghetti and meat sauce to octopus salad, this is my place of places in the area for Greek cooking. His Ovegolemono (egg-lemon chicken) soup is succulent and the fish, shell fish and meat main courses are cooked to perfection without ever tasting overcooked from early to late eating.

Over the years, we've befriended the owner, Franco, his three children (who always work there) and his wonderful array of courteous and happy service personnel from lands like the Baltics, Russia and the U.S.A. and have never been disappointed. Good size salads with feta cheese, crumbled or solid cut generally accompany every meal, but substitutions are always allowed. Toasted pita slices with butter accompany entrees.

And where in the area can you find a complete breakfast of two large pancakes (or waffles), eggs and crisp bacon slices for under $7.00. And with your lunch or dinner, if you like beer or wine, there are many to choose from. I personally like dark lagers and Mikos Black and Guinness are served.

If there is one negative, there are some side-walled, two-sided booth seats which are back-to-back to the table behind you and if people move in their seats, you feel it. So sit in the hard backed chairs and tables in the center. Just enjoy.

Oh yes, once or twice a month, some mature musicians are invited to play and sing for the crowd. It isn't loud harsh music and adds atmosphere to the meal. Nights and who's attendance are posted...if you're interested.

Just don't pack the place as I like less noise when I eat.

• Visited May 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“What happened?”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Greek hospitality, warm smiles, and then.... the food keeps getting more disappointing. This place needs a Chef Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares makeover. The same old menu, portions too large and just not appetizing presentation. Don't roll your eyes, or you'll see the dust and fur blowing from the vents in the water-stained ceiling. -- Guys, close the place for three days, give it a good scrubbing, and update your menu. You're nice and sweet and deserve a break. But give your loyal customers something exciting and new to talk about. I promise we'll all bring our friends when you shape up.

Visited February 2013
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“The Original Ambrosia is still great after all these years”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have been visiting Ambrosia for many year and always get the same thing. Gyro platter and house wine. I have tried other things on the menu, equally as good; however, the Gyro always draws me back. The atmosphere is casual. Nice place to go for a quick lunch.

• Visited October 2012