“Satisfactory”

Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC-Rockville
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Rockville
Reviewed May 4, 2009

They charged heavily for internet usage.

Though the room was comfortable with a small refrigerator and oven. Overall it was satisfactory.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business

Reviewed December 10, 2008

I've stayed here before. The rooms look clean, and the people are nice. And if not for my most recent stay would recomend this place as a "nice for the price" hotel. But I am up typing this review because I can't sleep right now. (It's 4 am). And I can't sleep right now because of the over 200 itchy bed bug bites I got there. It's almost a week later and they're still itching. I'm jumping out of bed every time I have an itch because I think the bed bugs are getting me again. They have assured me that they are taking care of the problem, but I would hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2008

The Red Roof Inn is what you pay for. It's not fancy. The rooms seem clean and there's new furniture. WiFi is now free with a special day pass they give you at the front desk on T Mobile. They give you one daily. The rooms have a tiny refrigerator and microwave but no shampoo. The towel are a bit hard. The location is right across a Burger King but for reaching the highway and nearby meeting places, the location is right on. I can definitely hear the activity outside, though. I'm on the street level and it feels really loud.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2008

One of the cheapest hotel options around DC, but you get much less than you pay for. It's a motel. The beds are nasty and uncomfortable. Bathroom floor was peeling away. They do not provide anything except for some soap and a ketsup size sampler of tasty shampoo. TV with some cable stations and at least one movie station.

Pretty much, a rip off cheap motel. It is convenient to DC though. We drove into DC the next morning during rush hour, and the traffic was very tolerable, which was surprising.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2008

Really wonderful!

The staff was very nice and not only is there free wifi in the king rooms, they were kind enough to give us an additional 24-hour account so both my husband and I could work with our laptops.

The wifi was screaming fast - perfect for what we were doing - which was a quick, cheap stopping point with a DOG.

A quick search of nearby hotels showed no other places who had clean, new rooms, in-room wifi and allowed dogs - all for the $89.99 base price (most places added $$ for wifi AND dog)

Our room 335 also had a fridge and a microwave.

Red Roof is totally a motel/bare bones - there's nothing within a comfortable walking distance, including the metro - but if you have a car, and need a hassle-free oasis, this is the place!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 13, 2008

Rockville, Maryland - you would suppose that a major chain like Red Roof would be operating a nicer hotel than the Red Roof we stayed at.

I knew we were in trouble when at 9:15 PM you had to hit a buzzer to get into the lobby.

I knew I was in trouble when the desk clerk looked like a Columbian drug lord from a Tom Clancey movie.

I knew I was in trouble when the night 'maid' was a guy standing in the lobby talking to the desk clerk in a language that was not English.

I knew I was in trouble when the room we were given had never been cleaned or had the beds made during the day and the blankets and pillows were piled on the bed.

I felt better when the desk clerk said we could have another room just down the walk and we did not have to carry our stuff a long way.

I felt better when I got into the room and it smelled fresh and clean and freshly painted.

I knew I was in trouble when there were no trash cans, the towels were paper thin, there was no shampoo, but two tiny bars of soap.

I knew I was in trouble when some drunk managed to open our room door even though it was shut ... the automatic locking device on the handle didn't work. The deadbolt did, but that was of limited comfort.

No breakfast - just machine made coffee. NO free internet. Beat to death TV with 11 channels. Limited parking.

At least it was quiet and we slept well. Did I mention that the bathroom was designed for someone no bigger than Twiggy...

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 18, 2007

The room is pretty good for the price. The bed was very comfortable :o) The hotel does offer a free shuttle service to the metro station from 7 to 9 am, which runs on the hour. The morning shuttle is reliable. If you show up in the lobby on the hour (7, 8, 9) you will get to the metro station. They also offer a shuttle service from 7 to 9 pm, where they will pick you up at the metro and bring you back to the hotel. This shuttle runs whenever you need it between 7 and 9 - you just have to call. Be warned though - you could be waiting up to 40 minutes at the metro station for the shuttle to show up. I even had to make multiple phone calls to the hotel to make sure that they were even coming!

The metro station is only about 3/4 of a mile away from the hotel, so you could walk. A typical cab fare to the hotel would be about $8 for 2 people. I don't suggest walking to the hotel if you spent the day walking through DC.

Overall, it's not a terrible hotel considering the price range. It's a short (15 to 20 minute) metro ride into downtown DC and the zoo and other attractions are a little closer. If you can afford to stay somewhere else, I would...

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank mrhb114
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockville
Sleep Inn Shady Grove
EVEN Hotel Rockville
EVEN Hotel Rockville
#6 of 14 in Rockville
Hampton Inn & Suites Washington, DC North / Gaithersburg

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC-Rockville? Share your experiences!