Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC-Rockville
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Rockville
rogers222
“Yuck”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Plus - front desk staff is very friendly and helpful. They go out of their way to help out clients.. Room is acceptable if you get a discounted price. Rooms can be had for under $100.

Minus - everything else. Location is poor, it's got a Rockville MD address, but is quite far (15 min drive) from the town center, and not really accessible to Bethesda, much less downtown DC. Rooms are small and dingy with a Holiday Inn 1970s decor. The housekeeping is abysmal, forgot to replace bath towels, someone else's hair found in bathtub, dirt scum on sink and in fridge. The air conditoners work, but the condensation lines leak all over the room floors - don't put your suitcases or shoes near the a/c unit.

The ads tell you that you will have free wifi in your room - lol. There is no wifi. I asked the manager about this and she just shrugged and mumbled something about the internet company wouldn't send technicians out to fix the weak signal. Whaa??? You're the manager, lady. Get on the phone and get the techs out there, spend a few bucks and install a few powerful routers. Get your customers what you promised them, or stop advertising free wifi ! The front desk clerk knew all about this long-running problem, since she put me in a room that she "hoped" would have a signal -- it didn't. So she knocked 10 bucks off the room rate.

The weirdest thing is the 11:00 am checkout time. I'm not making this up -- at 11:00 every morning they send this ex-convict named Miguel around to bang loudly on doors of departing guests and yell at them with equal parts threat and intimidation: "you NEED to get checked out, NOW!" He has a gang-banger's attitude that suggests he'll punch you if you overstay. If Red Roof hired this goon because of recurring problems with departing guests, it doesn't speak well for the quality of their clientele. But in any case, it's got to be a PR nightmare having an employee in a company uniform shouting at your guests -- not to mention potential liability for a lawsuit when this guy inevitably gets physical with somebody. He gives the hotel all the charm of a crack house.

Wouldn't stay there again, wouldn't recommend it to friends or colleagues.

Room Tip: The best rooms are in other hotels.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Rogers222
Claudia L, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Thank you for your valuable input.
We have passed on your comments to our front desk staff, housekeeping and management staff.
Each incident, both good and bad, has been addressed with the individuals you mentioned.
We are currently in the process of having our internet services upgrade and expect that to be completed by the end of the week.
Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences while staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I've been staying at this property on and off for many months. I stay in Hotels very, very often and I wish they were all the same high quality as this property. Lots of TV channels when I'm not busy working. Internet is definitely better than the average and I can use it effectively for my business and streaming needs. I often work from the room so this is very important to me. Claudia (the Manager) is very on top of things and things run very smooth!!!

Room Tip: Haven't had a bad one.
2 Thank jay s
Thank you for your continued patronage, we truly appreciate it.
We hope you will continue to give us continued feedback, as we value your input
Thanks again.
Tallahassee, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We traveled to DC for a conference and we were on a budget so we had to pick a cheap hotel. This was the cheapest hotel we could get with a reasonable quality. But obviously there were plenty of problems.
1- We stayed there for 5 nights and our room got cleaned only twice. I even called the front desk one day and asked them to clean the room but they didn't care.
2- The room had a strange smell of smoke even though it was smoke free.
3- The front desk was not helpful at all.
4- There is no fridge, gym, pool or breakfast in this hotel. They only have coffee at the front desk.
5- The nearest metro station is in 30 minutes walking distance, so if you don't have a car reconsider staying here. Also it takes about 45 minutes for the metro to go from the nearest station to downtown area.
6- The towels and sheets were clean. The beds were comfy. The room had enough space.

I believe the main problem of this hotel was the quality of service they are offering and the management, not the room amenities or the property.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank pfaizian
Shirley J, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear Guest, I am very sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. Customer Service is what we do, but it sounds as if we have lots of room for improvement. Thank you for your comments, they help us to improve the service we provide.

Shirley Jordan General Manager
Long Neck, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Traveled to Rockville area from out of state because our young adult son was admitted to nearby hospital. Registered at office for one night's stay, not knowing how long son would be hospitalized. Gentleman who handled initial check-in was very efficient and helpful (sorry we did not get his name). For the next 4 days we went to the office each morning to request another day's stay as the hospitalization continued. Team member Kellie was outstanding in her helpfulness and understanding of our situation. Because my husband and I were in the office so often, we observed Kellie helping other travelers in person and by phone. Her customer service skills are top-notch. She is a gem -- a real people person!

Our king room was so much better than I expected. Everything was very clean. I inspected the bed from the top all the way down to mattress and commented that the mattress looked newer than ours at home. Bathroom was basic but also very clean. I liked the laminate flooring and work desk in the room. We will definitely stay here again if we need to return to the area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Bee M
Claudia L, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you for your review. We strive to make every guest stay an enjoyable stay. I will be sure to let Kellie and the other staff members know how much you appreciate them and post your nice comments for them to read. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

This hotel has for the last 4 months provided excellent service, clean rooms and a friendly and helpful staff. They are to be congratulated for the very positive image they present for the hotel. Kellie - who see's me every morning I am in the office is quite attentive, watches the details and deals with myriad people at the same time making them believe they are very important.

Room Tip: Fpor someone who wants to beat the traffic, get to work refreshed and a hotel close to myriad road n...
1 Thank jmcjr69
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm very happy to hear how we were able to provide you with a clean and comfortable room. Thank you for choosing our Red Roof Inn and look forward to your next visit in Rockville!

Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I stayed in unit #175 in May 2014. At check-in the staff was perfectly polite. They aren't 5-star $500/night professionals, but absolutely fine nonetheless. The unit was very clean (hardwood floors) and quiet. No loud noises at night. The A/C worked great, if a little loud (but I actually liked that as white noise). The linens were fresh and clean. It had all the amenities I needed and many I didn't (there was a hair dryer, ironing board, plenty of clean towels, etc). The decor after the renovations is clean and modern. The check-out time is generous (11am). The wifi worked reasonably-- 1Mb down with a 23ms ping to a nearby server. The shower was wonderful, with the pressure of a fire hose. I've stayed at $500 hotels and $50 hotels and I have no idea what the people here are complaining about, my stay could not have been better. Don't come expecting the Ritz and you'll be very pleased.

Room Tip: They have a map on the desk at the front. Ask which unit they're giving you, look where it is on...
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm very happy to hear how we were able to provide you with a clean and comfortable room. Thank you for choosing our Red Roof Plus and look forward to your next visit in Rockville area!

Red Roof Plus Rockville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

The Management of the hotel David Contijo was very pleasant and helpful for my stay with them.I'm a frequent guest it's convenient for traveling to and from work. Although the rooms were chilly on and off with the heat on I think it's due to the weather.I have to say that I will continue coming here as a guest.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thank you for the review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. It is always our intentions to provide a clean and safe environment. I will be sure to let David know how much you appreciate his service.

301-987-0965
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockville
Sleep Inn Shady Grove
Comfort Inn Shady Grove
Comfort Inn Shady Grove
#5 of 15 in Gaithersburg
4.5 of 5 stars 367 reviews

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC-Rockville? Share your experiences!