“Room of last resort...”

Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC-Rockville
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Rockville
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Stay here if you are in a pinch/bind/desperate/. I was. It was either stay here or sleep in my rental car. The rental car was cleaner btw. My room was prepared by "Julie" and didn't have towels. The bathmat was stained and gross. (It's called bleach people! USE IT!) The tub had either not been cleaned or not been updated. Thank goodness there is a dollar store nearby. I cleaned my own bathroom out of necessity. The bed linens were wrinkled and the rug needed to be vacuumed. I was not sure if my door locked so I put the chair in front of it just in case. (Not that it would have helped.) The A/C didn't work well. The thermostat said 68 degrees, but the room was pretty hot and humid. Like I said, I should have slept in the car. I had booked the room for one week based on the location, reviews, and price. I left after one night. I would rather sleep in my rental car than stay here.

The remodeled decor was nice. I like a more modern decor, so this was a plus. And it had a laminate floor which at least could be cleaned properly by Julie, but I don't imagine Julie takes any pride in what she does based on how my room looked when I checked in. It also had a flat screen TV, but it only got a few channels. The wi-fi is a complete joke. If you have work to do or even need to get on the internet to find another hotel because you will want to leave as soon as you get here, good luck with that. I ended up just going to Nordstrom and having dinner and using the internet. I wish I could have slept @ Nordstrom too!

Be careful to review your bill carefully because in my room they try to charge you for a safe you don't use. I made sure they took off the $1.50 charge.

Overall, this is NOT the worst place, but only stay here if you are unwilling to sleep in your car.

PS - Women should be sure to park as close to your room as possible and bring pepper spray because the parking lot is not well lit and this hotel does not attract the best crowd as it were.

Room Tip: Staying @ another hotel is the best way to get a good room @ The Red Roof Inn in Gaithersburg, MD. L...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank GodFreeLady
RedRoofInnRockville, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to make of us aware of your concerns-i would like to start by offering you my sinerest apology-I will not make any excuses for my team members. It is very clear to me that" We did not meet your expectaions"..Again, thank you for the feedback-it will help us to improve on our commitment to our customers.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed for three nights over the Labor Day weekend. Our downstairs room facing the grass courtyard was quiet, clean, and comfortable. It had
a mini-fridge and microwave. The free wi-fi worked but was NOT high-speed and eventually we stopped trying to use it. Be careful: the water can get scalding hot. There is no smoking in the rooms and there are places outside to discard cigarette butts. However, we observed that most smokers just threw the butts on the grass or over the balcony from upstairs. In a high-price area, it was a good value.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank KenMyrna
RedRoofInnRockville, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thank you for responding to Tripadvisor-being a good value for the money, is very important to us.We have finished most of the renovations on the property and will continue to improve our product. Again, thank you!

Reviewed August 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one week while in town. The staff was friendly the rooms where very clean. My A/c did not work when i first got there so they put in a brand new one. Ill stay there every time im in town. Only down side was no fridge or micro wave. Nice flat sceeen tv's but only 12 channels.

Room Tip: I got a single king but they have doubles
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank keith f
RedRoofInnRockville, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you so much for the awesome review...We are so proud of our new rooms. Working on getting more channels-) Thank you for staying with us

Shirley- Claudia and team..

Reviewed July 19, 2012

The rating I gave because my usual expectation of a low budget motor inn/motel is pretty low, and this motel was very clean and quiet, the free wi-fi worked very well :) and the beds were comfy. They are renovating right now, but we were never bothered by noise even though we slept until 9am each day. Staff was personable, location convenient. The price was right, both through Expedia and directly through Red Roof Inn. I expect that after the renovation they will get even more good reviews.

Room Tip: The way this motel is situated, many of the rooms should be relatively quiet. We had a 2nd floor ro...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank JudyGE

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule-we really do appreciate the feed back..

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed at the Red Roof Inn in Rockville, MD during the recent power outage, despite being local. 3-4 sweltering nights were more than I could take, so I treated myself to some air-conditioned goodness. According to the website, the property has been renovated, and while the lobby's definitely a work in progress, the room was a nice surprise, with an attractive wood floor. Price was a bit steep, although it was around the 4th of July and nothing is ever cheap in the DC area. It wasn't the Ritz-Carlton and didn't need to be. Instead, it was clean, quiet, no bugs, and I got a good night's sleep both nights. I wish I'd stayed here when arriving in the area in May.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Dlugatch
RedRoofInnRockville, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC-Rockville, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Sorry for the late response...it was great to see you had a positive experience-during the renovation the lobby was truly a work in progress. I would love for you to drop by to see the finish product. Again, Thank you!

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Air Conditioners did not worri in either of the 2 rooms I stayed in, and it was in the 90s.

The guy that worked the front desk was nice enough, but apparently the only person on staff at night? I went to the front desk around 9 pm to a sign that said "Be Right Back"...

Rooms were not clean.

I did like the upgrades to the rooms, but not attended to well enough, dirty, and A/Cs were from the 70s?!?!?

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Craig B
Reviewed June 9, 2012

My family and I ended up staying at this Rockville, MD location because we were in-between moves. The Front Desk Staff, Manager Shirley and Kellie were so kind in greeting me when I entered the lobby. We ended up staying longer than intended. On Sunday late morning, on May 20th, my husband suffered cardiac arrest in our room. I immediately began CPR, and our door was open while my kids were awaiting the EMT ambulance and police which they had called. The hotel maintenance man, Miguel, was walking past our door, saw what was going on and immediately and without hesitation assisted me with CPR until the medics got there. Sad to say, my husband passed away at the hospital ICU unit on Sunday, May 27th. I want to say since I have been here, the ENTIRE managerial Front Desk Staff, maintenance crew of Miguel and Avelino (hope I spelled it correctly), and the ENTIRE cleaning staff have displayed the most professional care and services that we could have ever dreamed of. I would say they "treated us like family"!! They have never been rude or uncaring and they assisted me in moving to another room during their renovation. Our rooms were always clean and stocked! I will definitely refer this Rockville location to my family and friends, and if the rest of your locations nationwide display this type of customer care, I will refer them also. Thank you SO MUCH again and thanks for ALL you do!

Daphne Pollard

Please take the time to personally commend the Rockville Red Roof Inn Staff at Shady Grove Road and Comprint Court. In these hard economical times, you get more than your money's worth at this location!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter, away from traffic noise.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Daphne P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockville
Sleep Inn Shady Grove
EVEN Hotel Rockville
EVEN Hotel Rockville
#6 of 14 in Rockville
Hampton Inn & Suites Washington, DC North / Gaithersburg

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC-Rockville? Share your experiences!