“Good sushi in a nice area. ”
Review of Sushi Damo

Sushi Damo
Ranked #80 of 416 Restaurants in Rockville
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

Stopped in here with some friends for some sushi including some that had never tried sushi before. The food was pretty good with pretty good overall prices and lots of different options. The beer and sake list was pretty good as well. Service could have been better but the atmosphere was very good. It's located in a pretty cool part of town with lots of restaurants, bars, etc. There was a live concert going on right around the corner. I recommend it for anyone in the area looking for a good meal.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

I recently dined at Sushi Damo for a romantic evening out and had an excellent experience. The staff was extremely friendly and attentive. The restaurant was busy on a Saturday night and there were only two of us, but our server recommended moving us to a four seat table because it would give us a better view. The sushi was fresh and quite tasty, and my date said the martinis were excellent. The atmosphere is contemporary, upscale and intimate. This was my third visit and, in my opinion, Sushi Damo offers the best overall dining experience of the venues in Rockville Town Center. Excellent spot!

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Great food but I decreased my stars because they wouldn't let us in at 11:27 Saturday night (closed 12:00). That was really annoying.

Rice is so important for great sushi. Sushi damo has the best sushi rice I've had in Rockville. Where the rice sticks together but has just a perfect slight firmness that allows the rice grains to separate with each chew. And the flavor is different: must be the su component. Sushi rice is a real art. Something about that rice at sushi damo makes me crave it more than the other sushi places around me. My only hesitation is that the pricing is about twice as much as my other go-to sushi joints. But the modern loungey atmosphere is nice (sometimes I prefer a more formal dinner as opposed to carrying a metal sign of a number after ordering at a counter) and the service is very warm and attentive.

Brown rice alternative is an option but I really love the traditional sushi rice. Enough about the rice! Sheesh!

Ichigo ribeye appetizer: very tasty well done pieces of ribeye (I prefer medium rare but these were still yummy) with slices of strawberry that surprised me with how much they tasted great together. I didn't like the sauce, though... Too much alcohol flavor.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Great decor, friendly staff. Food is amazing, the sushi top of the line. The Rockville roll is one of my favorites, both beautiful and delicious. Not a place if you are in a hurry however.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

My wife, her cousin and me had sushi at Sushi Damo last night. This was my first visit there but I have been to other restaurants in the Town Center. We had reservations for 7pm and the restaurant wasn't very busy (and I was ok with that). To complement what the previous reviewer noted, the waiter asked for our drink order and since we were only having water at that time, disappeared for quite a while. I don't believe that this was the result of poor service, as much as a leisure dining experience. If you are in a hurry, this place probably isn't for you. Although there were 3 in our party, we ordered the Sushi for 2 platter and an ala carte salad for my wife. The miso soup was excellent and when the sushi platter came it was huge and a culinary delight. Plenty for the 3 of us for dinner. There was an assortment of sushi and sashimi that the chef(?) chose. The waiter had asked us when we ordered what we didn't want to be part of the platter. This is why I say the service wasn't poor, just leisurely. While I do have one complaint, which brought the rating from a 5, it was the parking, but perhaps it is Rockville's fault more than Sushi Damo's. I passed the restaurant and turned into what I had thought was the correct parking garage. It then opened up and I followed the road to the right, and found myself at the loading dock. As I weaved to leave, I noticed an entrance for parking that appeared to be connected to the other lot and parked the car. When I gave my ticket to the waiter for validation, he informed me that was not the correct lot. It cost me $3.50 for my mistake, but since you can easily access the lot from the Town Center parking entrance, there should be a sign indicating that lot is not affiliated with Rockville Town Center. Great food though.