“The best sushi in the area”
Review of Sushi Damo

Sushi Damo
Ranked #41 of 441 Restaurants in Rockville
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Sushi Damo is the gem destination in the heart of Rockville. The menu offers Sushi, sashimi, creative sushi rolls, teriyaki, and tempura along with a beautiful bar and lounge area featuring a wide range of premium sake, wines, and specialty drinks.
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Excellent Sushi, excellent presentation, friendly service and great decor. I recommend it highly and we will definitely go there again.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

A gem in... well yea... Rockville.
Awesome happy hour - with obnoxiously cheap and GOOOOOOD martinis!!!
Sushi is pretty good too.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Visited with my sister while visiting MD. Parked in the garage because they will stamp your ticket for two free hours of parking. Sat outside as the temperature and humidity had settled at 7:30 PM. Service was good, not overly attentive but then nothing special to note either. Had edamame app. Good portion for 2 but not warm enough nor salty enough to my taste. Order Crazy Horse roll, a chef special. Nice size slices but only 5. The mix was good but the fish was not too tasty. Not bad mind you, just was a bit bland for my taste. Have had much better elsewhere. My sister had a roll with a bit more spice but that too was rather bland. All and all, it was nice to catch up with her sitting outside eating good food.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

We've been enjoying Sushi Damo since it opened several years ago. The decor and menu made need a refresh, though. Mostly the decor, since the food is really excellent - just nothing new.

Reviewed April 22, 2012

After reading all the glowing reviews about the quality and excitement of sushi choices at Damo i couldn't wait to go try it out for myself. Typically i don't mind the high price tag if it comes with freshness and true dining experience. I felt that Sushi Damo was overrated and overpriced.

I loved the restaurant decor and the ambiance, as well as the attentive service, so i was getting excited and gearing up for a special sushi experience. We opted to sit at the sushi bar, as i enjoy watching the chefs work, and maybe striking up a conversation. I was highly surprised that instead of directing our sushi order to the Itamae we still had to place it with waiter. Also, the bar is designed so that from most sitting spaces you can only see the chef from the shoulders up, so you never really get to watch what's going on on the counter. A bit of a let down in my book.

The sushi and sashimi we ordered were closer to average then to great. The fish seemed fresh enough, but from previous reviews I kind of expected it to be jumping off my plate fresh. The sake selection wasn't bad though.

So, the dining experience itself was rather forgettable except the complimentary dessert at the end (a chocolate mousse with some sesame cracker bits and gold flakes!). That actually was interesting.

All and all i don't know if i would come back. Maybe for the ambiance more so then the food. Nothing particularly bad i can say except that it's average sushi for higher then average prices.