“To get a great meal, you need a party of at least four”
Review of Peter Chang

Peter Chang
Order Online
Ranked #22 of 489 Restaurants in Rockville
Reviewed February 13, 2019

I have visited Peter Chang restaurants dozens of times, occasionally with 8-10 people and never with a party of fewer than four. Last night was the first time I went there as one member of a party of two. Much as I have enjoyed in a major way sharing multiple dishes as part of a large group of people, I found last night to have been disappointing.

The strength of Peter Chang restaurants is the large variety of flavors and spices across a number of different dishes. This variety works well together, and less well in isolation. Last night, we shared two favorites -- Bang Bang Shrimp and Seafood in a Stone Pot. They were both excellent as usual. But, they left us longing for another Hot and Numbing Dish, and a Pork Belly Dish, and Noodles and Chinese Vegetables. In short, we were an insufficient party to enjoy the full range of the restaurant's offerings.

I can't wait to return with a large party. But, I think I'll go elsewhere when I'm part of a twosome. Cantonese cuisine lends itself better to a more contained dinner -- good food without leaving you pining for more.

Date of visit: February 2019

Reviewed November 16, 2018

This was my first time to this restaurant which is not affiliated with PF Chang, the franchise restaurant. I arrived after 8:00pm and found the place to be very empty. My waiter provided what had to be one of the toughest menus to find something I liked because it had a lot of fish and odd animal parts, so I figured this was authentic Chinese like I had never seen it before.

Eventually I ordered the Bang Bang shrimp appetizer ($10) which came with about 24 small coated shrimp, deep fried with sweet sauce, and the shredded Szechuan beef ($17) with onions. The shrimp were very good, and the beef was very tender but salty. It came mixed in with loads of onions and traces of scallions. It was a generous portion but very greasy. I was surprised they but a bottle of ice water on the table and never offered hot tea.

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank MrOcho
Reviewed November 11, 2018 via mobile

When my family and friends wants Asian food specially Chinese food we always go to Peter's the food is not your ordinary Chinese food it's food with very appetizing presentation flavorful, the staff is very friendly and knowledgeable of the menu in case there is any questions, price is good for what you are getting for ,place is nice they always accommodated us even though we show up as big group,
This place is becoming the every other Sunday place to eat.
Thanks

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed November 6, 2018

Our dishes ranged from very good to excellent. And plenty spicy. Particularly liked the appetizers of dry-fried eggplant and minced chicken. Service good. Ambience good (for a Chinese restaurant.)

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed November 5, 2018 via mobile

Very uneven. Dumplings and Dan Dan noodles a disaster. Likely frozen dim sum from a bag. Chicken and veggie dishes hit higher marks. In all more hype than quality Chinese.

Date of visit: November 2018