“Good location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
England
“Good location”
Reviewed August 13, 2006

Used this hotel as a base to visit DC. Used free shuttle to Rockville Metro there and back - ideal for leaving car at hotel.

Rockville Metro was great but took us (non US citizens) 10 minutes to work out how to buy tickets as there was nobody to help us.

Rockville felt a very safe area to stay and go out at night in.

For the price paid the room was adequate in size for 2 adults and 2 children and kept clean.

Pool had lifeguard on duty each day we used the pool however the pool floor was a little rough on childrens' feet.

• Liked — Convenient for Washington DC
  • Disliked — Business centre computers did not work and no in room safe
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank Margaret2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Korean first
livonia
Reviewed August 9, 2006

Our family wanted a hotel with a pool, so when we returned from a day of sightseeing we could relax by the pool then go to bed. Well, the pool is only open 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. If you want to utilize the pool find a different hotel. The shuttle the hotel offers has very limited hours also!!! The housekeeping staff was very limited on the towels and no washclothes were to be given out---ever!!!

• Disliked — the limited time frame of the pool and the shuttle
  • Tips/Secrets — if you want to swim in the pool, find a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Athens, GA
Reviewed June 1, 2006

I realize the above reviews about the Washington Gateway Hotel are very favorable. I agree that the frunishings in our room were comfortable and that there was ample parking. I have no quibbles with the clenliness of the room or the amenities provided. My main complaint has to do with the air conditioning or the lack thereof.

Despite its other attributes, the central air conditioning system in the hotel failed two out of the three nights we were there. The first room we were assigned had zero a/c; the unit for the room would not even turn on. The second room to which we were sent was hot as blue blazes because the a/c in that room also had not functioned for many hours.. The maintenance man finally got to our room and made some adjustments, but the capacity of the cooling system is so low that after 3 hours our room was barely tolerable. In saying this, I must add that I keep my own house about 78 degrees during the day and turn it down to 76 at night. Our room remained warmer than my own house the whole time I was there..

The last night we were there, a thunderstorm caused a minor interruption in the power flow. The surge knocked the a/c out in most, if not all, of the hotel. We had electrical power in the hotel and the a/c in the restaurant was working, but the a/c in the hotel rooms was out. About 11 pm, the engineer, as he was called, finally got service restored and cool air began again to flow. As before, the capacity was insufficient to cool the room very much before dawn despite the fact that the outside temperature was below 70 degrees. (There was no way to open the windows more than an inch or two.)

I was not satisfied that the front desk staff was really on top of the situation. We were initially told that the maintenance man had gone home and that we would be moved to a room where the a/c worked. Such a move was not possible because the hotel was full. There were several high school groups staying in the hotel and I think the troops were at the point of mutiny before the front desk staff responded and faced the reality of the situation.

Given the faliure of the a/c on a general basis, I can see why one woman, who was obviously in near distress from the heat, jumped in the swimming pool, clothes and all.
I was not an act of frivolity but one of necessity. I talked with her later and she simply said she was on the verge of heat related trouble and, having no bathing suit, she was limited in her options.

I am sure the hotel would be fine in January or Feburary, but for us in early June with the outside temperature in the 90 degree range, it was an uncomfortable experience.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank ulpian88
Boston
Reviewed May 15, 2006

Stayed at Bestwestern Washington Gateway for three nights. The staff is very friendly, and I took their free shuttle to the nearby Metro Rockville station. For the first two nights, I stayed in a executive room with a king-size bed. I was very impressed by the size of the room, it got a separate living room with TV, sofa, microwave, and even a mini-bar. For the third night, we stayed in a standard room with two double beds, so it is understandably much smaller. So if someone plans to stay there, it might be worth the extra 10-20 bucks to upgrade to an executive room.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 5, 2006

This hotel is great! The staff is one of the best that I have seen in my many years of travel! The rooms are spacious. They offer free high speed in the rooms and wireless in the lobby which was great for my purpose. I had stayed here previously and they have replaced the hallway carpet which really gives them an upscale look. I definately recommend this hotel. Love their staff..

Stayed January 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 22, 2005

Great Staff and quality product

Stayed December 2005
1 Thank HolidayLancaster
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 10, 2005

I stayed at this hotel at the beginning of December and found it to be a very pleasant experience. As the previous reviewer mentioned, they are doing some renovations, but this was a minor inconvenience. The front desk was friendly and helpful, the room was very comfortable, the lobby was very impressive, and the location was more than adequate (very close to I-270). I would definitely stay here again (actually tried to book for this week, but they were full for one of the nights I needed). Don't hesitate to book here...you won't regret it one bit!

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business