“Our base to go to Smithsonian”

Best Western Plus Rockville Hotel & Suites
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Rockville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 16, 2009

We decided to stay a short distance from WA DC while visiting the Smithsonian. The shuttle made regular trips to the Metro. Nice room with frig and microwave. Thin walls, but fortunately the people were quiet at night. Great breakfast. Very friendly staff. Very helpful when calling to ask questions.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,008)

Reviewed February 3, 2009

First off, I was in town for a funeral, so I didn't spend a ton of time at the hotel, and wasn't seeking a pool, fitness center, or business facilities. But, I was delightfully surprised to find that this reasonably priced hotel was nice, clean, and conveniently located. All the basic amenities you would expect were provided in the room (coffee maker, hair dryer,) as well as a microwave and refridgerator, there were fluffy feather comforters on the beds, and the towels were thick and plush. It seems like it is an older building, but it has definitely been redone recently, and is well maintained. They even provide a breakfast buffet in the morning, and if you're busy and or on the go and just need a quick bite to eat, it's very convenient. If you're expecting more choices then the basics (cereal, yogurt, eggs, potatoes, and pancakes) you'll probably want to go somewhere else. Overall, yes, it is a Best Western, (i.e.not the Ritz,) but as long as you are realize that, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed January 31, 2009

Excellent weekend rate with AAA discount, and included breakfast buffet that did the trick. Room and lobby/restaurant were immaculate, staff very friendly and helpful, and beds quite comfy. Hotel is stylishly decorated for such a bargain price. We visit DC area often and this was the best bargain we have found by far for a very decent place. It is not luxurious, (Stay in Georgetown for that, but pay at least 3 times as much!) but very clean, comfortable, and staff was definitely working hard. Will return!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank NJAeris
Reviewed April 13, 2008

We got a great rate by submitting a coupon out of a Room Saver guide from the Visitor's Center on the interstate. It actually saved us about $15 in nightly rate and then add on the option for free shuttle service to the Metro so you don't have to pay parking! A good bargain. We also loved the great hot buffet breakfast that was included in our rate.

The only drawback we could come up with was that the bathroom was lacking a ceiling fan which will eventually cause mold/mildew issues and wallpaper peeling. This also is embarassing as far as noise and smells go with a bathroom. I couldn't believe that with such an extensive renovation ($3 million) that the construction crew would overlook such a basic.

Overall, staff was great and the facility was very nice. Great decor!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2008

I spent 4 days at this hotel and can only say it was an average experience. We had booked ourselves into the ‘executive level” but I can’t tell you why it was considered “executive” or what was special about the experience.

Pros: the shuttle to the metro system is very nice. The breakfast was pretty good – lots of nice choices. The bed was comfortable.

Cons: they messed up our reservation, so the room was locked the last night we were there. They didn’t clean the room one evening, billed my credit card for 2 separate stays (if only I had gotten mileage for 2 stays!) and the restaurant was closed for renovation (which actually turned out to be a pro, since we discovered some very good restaurants in the area that we might not have found if we weren’t forced to leave the hotel after we had gotten back at the end of the day.) The washers in the laundry room were so dirty that I refused to use them. The front desk never did have anything I asked for (quarters for the washer, a sewing kit or needle and thread to sew back on a button.).

All in all, not the haven of rest I had hoped for when I booked it.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed December 3, 2007

I moved to this hotel after a bad experience at another Best Western on the other side of Washington. It was very much a speculative phone call as I had no reservation but luckily they had space for me. This hotel is situated to the north of DC, near the suburb of Rockville, and just off Exit 6B of the northbound I-270 freeway, and a short 5 minute drive away from Rockville Metro station for quick access to downtown Washington. The hotel provides a free shuttle bus service to and from the station for people that don't want to worry about driving. The staff were friendly and courteous, and even though I turned up at the hotel ridiculously early, they went out of their way to quickly make a room up for me on the spot whilst I waited in the lobby. There is also a little walk in mini-internet cafe with printing facilities, although it was right next to the front door and freezing cold - could do with some radiators guys!!!! The room was cosy and clean; although my TV set had a tendency to switch itself on. My only real gripe was that the restaurant and bar was closed for refurbishment so I had to drive every evening and find local restaurants - luckily there is a good choice in Rockville itself and nearby Gaithersburg. I suppose there is no "best time" for closing the restaurant and they chose the Thanksgiving period as it's the quietest time of the year - fair enough. Overall I enjoyed my time here and would definately recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2007

I booked a 2 night stay through Orbitz. After checking in on Wednesday evening, the hotel notified me they only had a 1 night reservation. After resolving this situation with Orbitz (and having Orbitz confirm the change with the hotel staff via phone and fax on Wednesday night), I was surprised to be notified on Thursday afternoon that I had to change rooms for my second night stay. Hotel management would not budge, and the staff that talked to Orbitz the night before "couldn't remember" (?) the conversation about my 2 night reservation, so I reluctantly changed rooms.

Since I was told my original room was booked by a large group and I would be in the 'middle of a block of kids' rooms,' it seemed like a move might be the right choice. Imagine my surprise on Thursday night to be awoken to the sound of dozens of kids going up and down my 'new' hall, slamming doors and knocking on my own door multiple times (I was in fact still in the middle of this large group!) Management was not understanding or helpful when I voiced my complaints the next morning during check out.

On top of this, the actual hotel facilities are subpar - stains on the carpet in my (second) room, a toilet in need of a thorough cleaning, and it is a stretch to call what they offer a 'fitness center.' I am most upset about the cluster of insect bites that appeared on my arms and back on the second morning. I found an insect as I unpacked my luggage at home and am waiting for a positive ID - I can only hope I did not bring bed bugs home as a souvenier. I now travel to the Rockville area once a month on business and would rather pay a much higher rate than suffer through the experience of staying at this hotel again.

Stayed: October 2007