New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Rockville
Sea Girt, NJ
“Great stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2009

The Rockville Sheraton was our base for visiting D.C. for the inaugural "festivities" on the Mall. I was a little leery of our accomodations based on some of the TripAdvisor reviews, but with the lack of available rooms over the inaugural period, we figured we take out chances. The Rockville Sheraton turned out to be great place to stay. The front desk was very accomodating, the restaurant was offering free appetizers around the dinner hour and the hotel provided a terrific shuttle service to/from the nearby Metro station. Moreover, the room was spotless. I'm EXTREMELY skeptical of the TripAdvisor reviewer who claimed to have found bedbugs in their room at this hotel. I would not hesitate to stay here again. Our family also enjoyed the pool.

• Liked — Located near D.C. Metro station, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Our room had a wardrobe rather than a closet
  • Stayed January 2009
1 Thank czb_JerseyShore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2009

Very nice, modern hotel but we had a few problems that this hotel needs to work on. When I booked the hotel, the reservationist said we could have a rollaway in the room. When checking in, the young man at the desk was very rude. We asked about the rollaway and he said, "we never put a rollaway in a room with two double beds." I wish someone had told us that ahead of time because we have two daughters and the double beds were very small. Yes, double beds not queens. The temp was wrong on the shower, good thing I checked it first so my children didn't get burned. The hot was cold and the cold was hot, fixtures were installed wrong. We stayed on the club floor and the food area was very messy, a used room service tray sat on the counter for our entire stay, my children even thought it was gross. We had breakfast at the restaurant and the service was quick and friendly, good food but overpriced. Our server was a kind man from Africa. The front desk attendant the next morning after check in was a sweet, young lady who gave us directions to a local Target. We were taking our daughter to a leadership conference at the Bethesda North Marriott but they did not have rooms available the first night for family. We should have stayed there, Bethesa North Marriott is a beautiful hotel, great service. My daughter had a wonderful experience there.

• Liked — convenience to conference center
  • Disliked — rude check-in associate
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Boston area, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2008

I have stayed at a number of hotels in the Rockville/Silver Spring area for various family events. This is easily the nicest of the hotels we've stayed in. This property was relatively new (2 years or less) and a number of the other places we have stayed in seemed tired and faded. The rooms and beds were nice. The shower in my room was excellent and the broadband worked. The lobby had a nice fireplace with wireless working in the lobby. The gym was perfectly nice. Like most of these hotels, it is in the middle of a suburb and you have to drive to anything. We'll stay here again.

The only problem was the restaurant. My wife and daughter went for breakfast and paid $5 per cup for coffee and another $15 for two poached eggs and toast. To make matters worse, the service was pretty poor. My wife said she had to ask for everything individually (e.g., napkins, silverware, soy milk for her coffee, for which she had to ask several times). No tragedy. Just skip the restaurant as a Starbucks and lots of restaurants are in short driving distance. If hotel management reads this, I suspect you should take a look at whether you could make significantly more money from a restaurant whose prices are comparable to local restaurants and by training the waiters so that you don't have to ask repeatedly for basic service.

• Liked — rooms and showers were nice
  • Disliked — hotel restaurant was overpriced and provided poor service
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Roanoke, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Sheraton on a Friday night in October. I was in town to attend a class in Rockville Center the following day. I found the hotel on Expedia, but went to the Sheraton website to do the actual booking. I received an excellent weekend rate of $99 for a deluxe king room.

Using the driving directions provided by the hotel's website, we arrived shortly after 9:00PM. The hotel is located just off I-270, in an office park development (what used to be King Farms). We were greeted warmly by the young women at the desk and checked in with speed and efficiency.

The lobby area was very attractive, although the ambient lighting was very low, perhaps to save electricity?

We found the room (411) to be very attractive, furnished in a comfortable, contemporary style. The king bed was excellent, as was the bedding quality. The flat-screen TV was a nice touch, although the programming menu and channel selection was a bit convoluted.

The bathroom was, shall we say, "interesting." It had frosted glass paneled french doors, and a pedestal sink with barely enough room for our toilet kits. A full-size shower was used, rather than a tub, which was fine, since we prefer showers. The shower had sliding glass doors rather than a shower curtain. Water pressure/temperature control was very good. The towels were good, but I've had better. The supplied shower gel, shampoo, etc. were very nice. The bathroom was clean.

The work area for business travelers was very well laid out and included a comfortable ergonomic chair. Wi-fi service was provided, but I did not use it. We did use the pool/fitness facilities, so I can't comment on those.

I went down to the lounge area and asked for two coffees to take back to the room. I added the charge to the room bill and was surprised to find that I had been charged $8.00. That's a little steep for two cups of coffee that I fetched myself.

I used the in-room coffee maker on Saturday morning. It seemed to take much longer than usual to brew the two cups and the coffee was strong. I had asked for extra creamers the night before, so I didn't have to resort to the powered creamers provided.

On Saturday morning, my wife drove me to downtown Rockville (about 5 miles away) and returned to the hotel to catch a few a more hours of sleep. We had arranged for a late check-out (2:00PM), which gave her more than enough time.

She said the check-out also went smoothly.

Overall, this was an excellent hotel experience and at the $99 rate, a very good value. I'd recommend the Sheraton and would stay there again.

• Liked — Value for the money. Convenient location.
  • Disliked — In-room coffee maker, small bathroom sink countertop area.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
New York, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

Do not stay here. There are bedbugs. Need I say more? On top of that, the room was dirty. Some sort of powder all over the desk chair, stray hairs in the bathroom, dirty bathroom floor. They also have practically no staff on the weekends- when we asked for more pillows (because one of the pillowcases had a brown stain on it), the girl at the front desk said she was the only person there, so we'd have to wait for her to be able to walk away from the phones. She said that the general manager is cutting down on staff because they have low occupancy on weekends. Seriously?? Sheraton should be embarassed of this property.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NYC-triptaker
West Palm Beach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2008

Cute and Small Hotel. Very nice and friendly staff. Remembered my name everytime I returned to the hotel. Rooms beautifully decorated, but small compared to just about every other hotel I have stayed in (over 100 nights a year). Little space for hanging clothes and no drawers. Great TV. Very comfortable "Starwood" bed. Charge $9.99 per day for internet access and a continental breakfast is $13.00. You cannot watch TV from the desk, which is bad when I am working at night. Many downtown Washington DC hotels are actually less expensive.

• Liked — Great Bed, Great decor and TV.
  • Disliked — Small Room, Expensive Internet and Breakfast, no Tub
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2008

I stayed at the Rockville Sheraton for business and pleasure. The hotel was in a great location. It had a free shuttle that would take you to the metro station (which was approx. 1 mile away) or any other place within a few miles for free. The driver was very nice and knew where everything was. There are stores and places to eat nearby that the shuttle would take you. It was very convenient. The staff at this hotel was fabulous. Everyone very helpful and friendly.

The only problems I had were with the design of the rooms. I stayed in a room with 2 double beds. The desk area is along the window and everything you place on it gets really cold because the air conditioning comes out onto the desk. The beds were really comfortable and the flat screen was nice. The room lacked drawer space there was only a small area to hang things up. The bathroom was big but again the design was poor. My room had a bathtub in it which was VERY SMALL. My family joined me for a few days and they couldn't believe how small it was. The doors to the bathroom do not lock and the frosted glass doors to the bathroom look pretty but are a problem if you have to get up at 5AM and take a shower while others are trying to sleep.

My children used the pool. It was small but nice. We ate in the restaurant for breakfast. It was very expensive but the food was good. The exercise room was above average. Overall, I would stay here again if I was in the area.

• Liked — comfortable beds
  • Disliked — layout and design of room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family