“Best Authentic Italian Food”
Review of Il Pizzico

Il Pizzico
Ranked #1 of 415 Restaurants in Rockville
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Il Pizzico features Italian cuisine offering fresh locally sourced ingredients prepared using time honored Italian guidelines
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I am Italian and I live in the US but I travel to Italy 4 times a year. This is one of the very rare authentic Italian food restaurants in the DC area. Dining here is not cheap ( not excessively expensive either ) and it is at the level of the best Italian restaurants in Italy. I went several times and fish based food are my preferred.

1  Thank Paolo N
There are newer reviews for Il Pizzico

Reviewed December 17, 2013

I had wanted to go here for years and finally got around to it this year. The food is incredible! I can't wait to go again.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

I dined at Il Pizzico with my parents after reading numerous rave reviews.

The food was excellent and I would put it up against many higher profile and more expensive Italian restaurants in the greater DC metro area (or Atlanta, where I live).

While the location and exterior are completely unassuming, the interior is warm and recently remodeled.

We had and thoroughly enjoyed:
- Scaloppine Alla Krizia (veal scaloppini with prosciutto ham, melted cheese and tomato sauce)
- Bucatini con pancetta e cipollina verde (homemade hollow thick spaghetti with pancetta, roasted scallions and peppery cream sauce)
- Filetto di Maiale al balsamico (roasted pork tenderloin on a bed of borlotti beans, roasted potatoes balsamic glace sauce)
- Desserts were amazing (chocolate mousse and creme brulee)

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Il Pizzico proves that you can't judge a book by its cover. It would be very easy to pass right by this non-descript restaurant in a Rockville Pike strip center. That would be a mistake. The chef owner is from Italy and the food he presents is fine Italian dining at its best. Pastas are homemade and delicious. There are numerous fish and meat entrees that are also first class. They have a nice wine list considering the supply limitations in Montgomery County, MD. There are two caveats. The first is that they do not take reservations and there can be a wait on weekends, in particular. The little bar is a nice place to wait, though. Second, it is not inexpensive. Dinner for two with a bottle of wine, including tip, averages $65-$70 per person. I do feel, though, that there is no better Italian restaurant in the DC area.

1  Thank Brian D
Reviewed November 6, 2013

This restaurant is totally over rated. I have a hard time believing all the rave reviews. I had dinner there last night with three friends and none of our meals were great. One friend had ordered crab and pasta and said there was so lttle crab in the dish and the pasta tasted terrible. she picked out the crab and left the pasta. The other two friends had mushroom ravioli, which was good - not great - and very small portions. As for my meal, I had at first requested a substitution of potatoes for either a salad or vegetable due to a restricted diet and was told by a very arrogant waiter that there are no substitutions as the chef would not compromise his dish. Really? In today's dietary world where people want to eat but have restrictions, this restaurant cannot accomodate such a simple request? When I asked the waiter which meals came with a vegetable or salad rather than the potatoes, he then said he could give me a double order of the vegetable in lieu of the potatoes. When my meal arrived, steak and brussels sprouts - I had six half slices of brussel sprouts. Three whole brussel sprouts!!
When I asked the waiter if what I received was the double order of vegetables, he said yes and that the since I didn't want the potatoes, that was the order.
I would never recommend this restaurant - the service was abysmal and the food was just ok. There are too many excellent restaurants in the Washington DC area to bother with this restaurant ever again. Don't waste your time eating here.

2  Thank swimma1