“Wonderfully Surprised”

Ranked #2 of 424 Restaurants in Rockville
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Il Pizzico features Italian cuisine offering fresh locally sourced ingredients prepared using time honored Italian guidelines
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I am sometimes hesitatnt about restaurant recommendations from hotel staff, but this one was wonderful. The menu is definitely not the mainstream Italian you see at most chain Italiam restaurants. You could tell it was all prepared fresh. All of the staff were very friendly and you could tell by their interactions with other patrons that they have a lot of "regulars". My only complaint would be parking. The lot is very small due to the location. I will definitely go back when I am in town again.

1  Thank Gracie92

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Il Pizzico is one of the best kept secrets in the Washington Metropolitan area. I you want non chain, freshly prepared perfect Italian culsine...this is it!

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Have been dining here once a year since it opened in 1990. The food was usually good but nothing outstanding, Best part was it was predictable and consistant. Last night was our anniversary so we decided to give it another try. The warm cozy atmostphere was gone. It was very dark and very cold in there. There seemed to be only one waiter on our side of the dining room to wait on too many tables. The waiter was friendly enough but obviously in a hurry. Later we observed he was bartending as well. He never came back to ask how everything was. We each had a glass of Chianti which was good for house wine. I had the soup d'jour a roasted pepper with a chicken broth base. it was very blah and under seasoned. I would not order it again. My husband had a half order of spaghetti with seafood and tomato sause. The pasta was way undercooked. It was chewey and still transparent. El dante is good but this was more than that. Would not order this again Next came the salads. Heirloom tomato salad was good and the spinach pear and gorgonzola was good as well. I didn't love the dressing but it was okay. I then had the evening special. flounder crusted with sliced almonds and lemon butter sause. Part of the fish was mushy and the almonds were soggy and not toasted and the sause was too tart and sour and the lemon overwhelmed the fish. Very disappointing for $26. I would not order it again. Husband had the veal scallopini ala Sandra a house specialty. The veal was so dry and chewey he could not chew it or finish it nor did he enjoy it. The waiter never came near us the whole meal after we ordered. We told the bus boy the veal was bad and that's.why it wasn't eaten. The owner came to our table to apologise and offered us desert. I had cappachino (very good) deserts were proliferoles (very good) and Tiramisu which was not good. Not like any I had ever had before. Served in a little round bowl. A tiny amount of cake smothered in a huge amount of some kind of very heavy whipped cream. Too cloying would be a good descripton and way too much cream. Would not order that again either. So what to say. Very disappointing meal. We use to love this place. Guess we will give it another year before we return and try again. Best to stick with the cooked (not undercooked)pastas and salads. The owner did not charge us for the veal ,coffee or deserts. This was gracious of him but I would have much preferred we had left there with a positive feeling and had good meals especially on a special occasion.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We have been eating at Il Pizzico for almost 20 years now, and it continues to be the local favorite for high end Italian cooking. From the market fresh fish and meat, to the home made pastas and the excellent wine selections, everything is top notch here. The restaurant has an intimate atmosphere, suitable for good conversation. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and professional. We have been at the restaurant with large parties for special occasions, both at lunch time and for dinner and it has been easy to arrange a satisfying set menu that pleases a crowd. The restaurant also on occasion offers special wine tasting events in conjuncture with local wine shops, and those are fantastic as well. For this level of food, prices are very reasonable!

1  Thank Schultheiss1967
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This Italian restaurant is where locals go for a consistently good meal without traveling far. Good service and high quality of food.