“Good food and ambiance”

Ranked #1 of 428 Restaurants in Rockville
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Il Pizzico features Italian cuisine offering fresh locally sourced ingredients prepared using time honored Italian guidelines
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Il Pizzico has gone from Washingtonian Magazine's "best cheap eats" listing to an updated place with a much more expensive menu. It's exterior appearance is deceptive although not shoddy; it's in a strip mall on Rt. 355 at its intersection with Gude Drive. One negative is that they do not take reservations - from our experience, however, they don't need to do so; at 6:30 on a Friday night, diners waited for tables to open up.

The food remains delicious (although servings are on the small side) while the decor has been upgraded along with waiters dress, now in all black. A half-serving from the pasta list is permitted: the mushroom ravioli with pistachio sauce was very good (although we prefer ravioli cooked another minute or two). I found their sautéed shrimp and sea scallops with crispy pancetta and Marsala cream sauce excellent (again, not a large portion) and enjoyed the creme brulee (very good but standard) for dessert.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have been going to Il Pizzico since it first opened it's doors and I have yet to be disappointed. It has recently been remodeled which adds to the ambience and the fine food served there. Italian food at it's best.

Fresh fish and the risotto was delicious.

Always made to feel welcome. Looking forward to going again soon.

2  Thank wullieduff
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I enjoyed the diner I had very much. I did not take anything from the menu, but let me guided by the waiter and suggested specialties.
I tried as appetiser grilled octopus with balsamic vinaigrette and as entree grilled duck. I must say, they were both great choices, delicious and certainly to recommend. The choice of wines is very elaborated, all can certainly find a wine that matches their taste and order.
I like to advice this restaurant; it is certainly a place to try and matches a traditional Italian place.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I usually don't bother to review restaurants around the area where I live because its not really a tourist area and I imagine most customers are locals like me who know the restaurants around the area as well as I do. I have lived in the Rockville area for around 14 years and have gone by this place a million times but I never stopped there because from the outside it just looked like some kind of old run down italian pizza or sub type shop. It wasn't till I actually noticed that Il Pizzico is the highest rated restaurant in the area that I realized there might actually be a reason to stop by and see what was up with this place. I have decied to make an exception for Il Pizzico and do a local review though because this place is just so darn good.

The strip mall this restaurant is in was probably built in the 70's and for a long time the restaurant's exterior looked as such. They recently updated the signage and banners on the outside of the restaurant and have probably done as best as they could do with the type of building they are in. On the inside though the restaurant is well decorated in a modern style. I was told that they did this fairly recently before I started going so I can't really say how it was before. At this point though its a nice contemporary yet conservative environment that provides a pleasant scene to have a meal in.

What really makes this restaurant amazing is the food. I have now been there several times and everything I have had to date has been either good or fantastic. All the food tastes freshly made, especially the pasta! While I like pasta it's not typically something I get excited about. The pasta here was so good and fresh tasting that I can really say it stands out above any other restaurant I've had pasta at. They have an excellent selection of pasta's on the menu and I actually found myself wishing I could have more than one per meal. I have to call out the Bucatini which is as close to perfection as I can say I've had in a pasta dish. The nice thing about their pastas are that they can be ordered as half portions so you can enjoy them for an appetizer even if you want to have something else for your entree. For entree's I have both their veal and chicken dishes. Like the pasta they were perfectly prepared and tasted totally fresh. If there's anything bad to be said about the food it might be the portion size. Portions are reasonably small. If you go just order an entree with nothing else you're probably going to leave hungry. I strongly recommend getting an appetizer, entree, and desert if you want to leave full. Prices are somewhat high but given the quality of the food they are totally reasonable. Expect to pay $50/person for a nice meal.

Another strong element of this restaurant is the service. Everytime I have been here I always find the wait staff friendly and responsive. They seem interested in making sure you enjoy your food and always are happy to talk with you about any questions you may have. While being attentive, they never hover or get in the way of enjoying your meal.

If you are in the Gaithersburg/Rockville area and you want a memorable meal then you can't go wrong visiting Il Pizzico. Keep in mind though that they don't take reservations so it can get quite busy during prime dinner hours. They also serve lunch but I haven't been there for that so I don't really know if that tends to be busy.

In conclusion, I give this place 5 stars but I would gladly give it higher if I could!!!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Wonderful food and outstanding service. For two, we shared the carpaccio and a salad. Then I had the ravioli with mushrooms and it was really outstanding. My friend had veal scaloppini, also excellent. For dessert I had the most incredible tiramisu I've ever eaten. LOVED this little place. Highly recommend it.