“I Have Heard Good Things About It” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Soups
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“I Have Heard Good Things About It”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We just stayed for one night at the Marriott Washingtonian Center and we didn't have breakfast. So on our way to bring home my friend, we passed Rockville Pike and saw Temari Japanese Cafe. I told my friend I've heard very good things about this Japanese restaurant and we decided to try it.

The place is tiny but crowded. Good sign! It reminded me of Yuraku in Germantown. To get a seat faster, we were given an option to seat by the bar. Not a problem with us. We were hungry!

Looking around the tables, we saw that all had the ramen soup. So we ordered that and we had the sashimi. I'm always craving for ramen soup on a rainy day and this is definitely one place I'll go back for soup. It was just super delicious! No wonder every table ordered it.

The sashimi was also very good and very fresh. The presentation was unique too, like they took extra time to make it look fancy. It's definitely a THUMBS UP for this restaurant.

We will be back!

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Parisbreakfast

• Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Authentic Japanese cafe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Look up on menu posted on the wall or special menu as they are quite authentic. Wufu Hamburger is one of my favorite. Unless you will come with big group, they dont take reservation :(

Visited September 2013
Baltimore
“Genuine Japanese cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Temari is fantastic! Let me tell you why.

I haven't seen many genuine Japanese restaurants make a variety of specialized dishes, and make them all authentic and well. You either specialize in sushi, or in ramen, or in donburi, etc. But guess what? Temari offers them all and they're all good!

For a business in the states, the ramen is great (don't expect LA or NYC great though). If you like light and less salty broth, Temari is your joint. Even the tonkatsu ramen is lighter than most places. The chasiu ramen is probably the best deal. It's only ~$1 more for two extra pork slices, though they're not the most tender and flavorful. Most places charge much more.

Check out the takoyaki. It's different, but in a good way. The filling is a little more potato-filled than batter and tastes great. In addition, the wafu hamburg steak is delicious! Love Japanese burgers. Don't think it's your ordinary burger. It's tender, marinated well, and cooked to perfection. The spices and toppings make it even more flavorful.

Two clutch things to note:
1) Plenty of parking in the strip mall.
2) Expect lines, but definitely not the two hour waits you'd see in D.C. or NYC.

Visited September 2013
Bethesda, Maryland
“Local Japanese Food at its Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Having lived in Japan for about 25 years, I generally fear going into most Japanese restaurants in the area as most seemed have tempered their cooking to suit American tastes. But this unassuming restaurant on the Rockville Pike is different. It reminds me (fondly) of the kind of family run Japanese restaurants that were just around the corner in my old Kobe neighborhood. Family-run, it is the purest Japanese food you will find in Rockville. This is not Imperial cuisine...this is real Japanese family cooking. As one writer put it, Japanese comfort food at its best. The fact that most of the customers at any given time are Japanese says something about its appeal and authenticity. Although they offer the usual obento sets, etc., be adventurous and just order items off them menu and share them round.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank Rupertpb
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“More speakers of Japanese than others?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Then u know u are in the right place. This place is excellent! Sure. Sometimes long waits and service a little slow, but the food is out of sight. Folks tensing over service should sit back, relax, enjoy the Japanese food shows on TV. 8-)
Special combos are an incredible deal, but haven't gone wrong with anything on menu here. Sushi very fresh.

• Visited January 2013