“Good food”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Love their pizza, salads and spaghetti and lasagna. I eat in but mostly like to get their takeout. Good service and packaging.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Being from NJ/NY area it's hard to find pizza we approve of. This isn't what I'm used to, but it's definitely the best we've had so far.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I used to go to Mama Lucia's in Rockville often for lunch. Their pizza and pasta was great. I haven't been in a while because the one in College Park ruined my taste for Mama Lucia's for a while (that restaurant is terrible). So today, I was really looking forward to going back to the Rockville restaurant to get some great food and the food was not nealy as good as it used to be.

All of the people are different and the food was not great. The bread was really greasy and soggy. My pasta didn't taste as good as it used to. The caesar salad was not good at all - tons of dressing and not the same as in the past. It was white and runny - it used to be a clear oil based dressing.

What happened? I want the old Mama Lucia's to come back. They have definitely made some changes and it's not for the good. I don't think I'll be going back...so sad.

1  Thank irishfaith
Reviewed August 20, 2012

It is really sad to see the slow decline of this place, because I used to come here almost every week for lunch over a period of 12 years. Mamma Lucia used to be one of the best, so I keep coming back hoping to be proven wrong, but I’m sad to say that it is getting worse every time I go there. I tolerated the rising prices and the decline of the food quality to a certain degree, but today’s lunch was the last straw… I ordered eggplant parmesan that came out completely mushy and tasteless. I did my best to like it and added tons of salt, pepper and grated parmesan, but I couldn’t eat more that ¼ of it. I called the server and explained that it looks feels and tastes as if it was frozen and reheated. He politely apologized, but did not deny my statement… There was no offer to exchange it, and it was not taken off the bill at the end.
The only reason I cannot trash this place is because they still make great piazza. They should stop making anything other than pizza, and they’ll do OK.

Reviewed April 22, 2012

My wife and I went out of our way to try out Mamma Lucia in Rockville. I had liked the online menu with its great variety of Italian pasta and seafood dishes, and its claim to down home Italian cooking; and we are so much in need of a restaurant like that in the area. Unfortunately, this was a major disappointment. The place was dirty, eating outside on the patio was out of the question because of the smokers there, the staff had a clear "I couldn't care less" attitude (several of the staff repeatedly came and went from a nearby booth where they sat to shoot the breeze while we tried to eat), the quality of the dishes was below expectations and the price asked for, the loud rap music on the louspeakers ensured that I knew this was not an Italian home, and certainly not my home. The quantities served were good, which is perhaps why most of the clientele there consisted of very overweight people. The menu did offer gluten free pasta, which should normally be a big plus, but I couldn't wait to leave. This place clearly needs a new manager to bring the place into shape.