“I thought Argentina was known for good beef”
Review of El Patio

El Patio
Ranked #73 of 415 Restaurants in Rockville
Cuisines: Argentinean
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Parklawn Dr.
Transit: 28436, 28618, 15342, 15338. Ride on: 10 Metro: C4, C8, J5 closest metro station is Twinbrook
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My first visit to El Patio was a mixed bag. Based on the modest location and tea room like atmostphere I did not expect to be amazed. We ordered a sampling of appetizers. Bloodsausage chicken and beef empanadas,sweetbread and the melted cheese. All were very good. Then came the main dishes. Chicken or beef breaded and fried with a cheese topping. These were very big portions served with French fries and sliced tomatos and onions. The salads were poor grade hot house unripe tomatos. Two of us had steak. The rib eye was nicely grilled and decent but a bit chewey. The T bone was terrible. the worst I have ever had. Worse than a Sizzler steak house even. It was grey in color and over cooked, I ordered med rare and it was well done and about a half inch thick and dry and chewey. My advice here is to skip the steaks which are poor quality and overpriced and the salads. Stick to the appetizers and fried meats. The desserts were okay but not to dye forin spite of the in house bakery. The caramel cream is very heavy and sweet. I think an aquired taste for many. The bread pudding was moist but needed more flavor like rum. A crepe with caramel filling was rubbery and not good. So there are some good things here but be careful what you order. It's a mixed bag. The wait staff is young and inattentive. One kept trying to take plates off the table with food on them we were still eating. don't think this place will become a neighborhood favorite with me.

There are newer reviews for El Patio

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I've been going there since I was born. It has a really argentine feel. It is really good and homemade.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Walking in you can tell it's a nice, cozy little restaurant. They have an excellent display of wines and a show of yummy desserts. However, the dish that I ordered was not for my taste at all. I regretted not liking the food because it looked so good. But I took a few bites and did not finish. I didn't want to send it back because I thought it would be too rude of me, but I did have a bite of my mother's steak and it was good. Not the best I've tasted, but better than my chicken. At the end we had dessert with caramel inside which was great. I liked the restaurant but not sure I would return. As a college student, I'm not sure I could afford it anyways.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We've dined here several times, both at its previous location and its current one. The parillada quality is excellent, but even for someone used to Argentinian food (by marriage) the quantity of meat is a bit over the top: the parillada for two is sufficient for 3-4. Not seeking a big meal, today we just had empanadas and beer; in the future we'll go back to the meat dishes since the empanadas were disappointing, microwave-mushy rather than oven-crisp. Our service has always been good at El Patio, and their shop with Argentinian specialities (including wines) is a great service. They are highly specialized in Argentinian cuisine, though for some reason they don't serve the international food at which Argentina beats the world, pizza.

Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

When you go to El Patio you are looking for good Argentinian food, but you will also get a great dinner/lunch experience.
The food is great, the wines are really good, the desserts are all home made and to die for.
You will also get a family atmosphere, "fútbol" will always be on the big screen tv and beautiful folklore or tango music will be playing.
Service can be slow when its crowded but if you have ever been in an Argentinian restaurant you'll know that that is almost a trademark.
Ricardo is the most friendly waiter there,follow his advise.
El Patio is ,for us Argentinos in the US, 100 % nostalgia and it is a good thing once i a while.