New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Washington, DC
“Still excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This was my second visit and I will continue to go there. Both times I've had one of their "Signature Dishes" and have been disappointed. Most of these dishes have "MA TU’S Special sauce - A sweet, mild black-pepper sauce".

The service is on the slow side. Several times I had to signal the waiter to come to our table, and it seemed to take them forever to clear our dishes before dessert.

But the food is worth it.

And the noise level is acceptable because they have carpet on the floor---which so many restaurants lack.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars

Staffird
“Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Have developed a few favorites such as their signature shrimp in black bean sauce and their dumplings which can't be beat.

• Visited May 2013
Washington, DC
“Terrific food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We had CRISPY CALAMARI with sweet and sour sauce, CARAMEL FISH fillet simmered in caramel sauce and served in a hot pot and MA TU’S SIGNATURE DISH - A sweet, mild black-pepper sauce sautéed with lightly-breaded soft shell crab. All three were superb!

I would have given it 5 stars except for the VERY slow service. We got there just before 8:30 on a Thursday night and the place was just about empty except for 4-5 people at the bar. Since we were outside at a sidewalk table, they nearly forgot about us until I went inside and got a waiter. It took about an hour and a half for us to have what should have been a 45-min. meal at most. The prices were reasonable.

Toward the end I went inside and sat at the bar, and soon in came a penguin. The penguin turned to the bartender and asked, "Have you seen my father?" The bartender responded with "Oh, maybe. What's he look like?"

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
Bethesda, Maryland
“Great Food, Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

It had been several years since I had been to Taste of Saigon. Just had dinner there again with the family. Everyone who knows about this restaurant knows about the Black Pepper Sauce. This time I was introducing my kids to this dish so I ordered TWO! (Black Pepper Shrimp). It was good as I remember. The portions are kind of small but this is a one of kind amazing dish. The flavors just burst in your mouth. We also ordered the "Shakey Beef" (very good, but again, small portion size) and Vietnamese Noodles (kind of like Vietnamese Pad Thai). We each also ordered soups for appetizers. I had the Asparagus Crab soup, and my wife and daughters ordered the Pho. This place ain't cheap but the food is good, service is good and the ownership is warm and friendly.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
Maryland
“Best Food in Rockville!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This is, by far, my favorite restaurant in Montgomery County. I've been here several times a month over the past 4 years and it never fails to impress me! The black pepper chicken (Ma Tu's) is amazing - sweet and savory and perfect! Awesome pho, thick rice noodles with beef are a great comfort food meal. Customer service is amazing, also great with kids. We celebrate all our special dates here. Love, love, love!

• Visited February 2013