“Weird Italian/Mexican mix”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Montrose & Randolph
Transit: White Flint
Reviewed April 13, 2013

The tables are set as if you are in a fine dining establishment.

The bar with Frank Sinatra or the latest mariachi band you need to walk through to be seated is as weird as the Mexican villa decor. Really strange.

Get past that and both the food and service are very good, in fact the service was excellent.

We had two appetizers. The Maryland Crabcakes, for an Italian restaurant, were excellent and although I'm generally a crabcake purist, the sauce they were plopped in was very good too. The arugula on the side was a nice try, but the dish did not come of as Italian at all.

We had two entrees. Both very good to excellent. But not Italian! Even the linguine with littleneck clams, as fresh as it was, did not taste like real Italian food we had in northern, middle or southern Italy. The other entree, Scallops, were plopped down on a bed of mashed potatoes. A shame because the scallops were large, juicy and wonderful. I love spuds but I don't want potatoes on my scallops!!!

They don't really have a mariachi band, but when "Frank" took a break, the band reverted to Mexican favorites for a four-song stint, which matched the decor. I was waiting for La Cucaracha to break out any song.

Overall, an unbalanced experience but the food was good enough we will probably return. Some day. There are better restaurants in Rockville.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

The overall experience is great. Quality, ambiance, service is good value for money. The amount of choise on the menu offers a good selection of seafood, meat, pasta in the main course section. Starters and deserts are well rerpreented too.
I suggest a mixed cheese platter for those who do not have a sweet tooth...
If you are a midetereanean living in Africa, the pace at which courses are served may be overwhelmingly fast. When I mentioned this to the waiter, she explained that this is what the locals appreciate. If customers want to enjoy more time all they need to do is mention it to the waiter and more time will be added between courses.
Another positive observation was that the restaurant is flexible about size and content of the dishes. I wanted one of their main courses as a starter. It was not at all a problem.
Overall a nice place for a late lunch or early dinner!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

My first visit to this location. I have always enjoyed the location in Orlando near International Drive. I joined a group of 8 for dinner. I had the cedar plank trout. Was some of the best fish I’ve ever had. Service kept up with the table. Atmosphere was great as well. Will be back next time in the area.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I have been here several times over the last few years and have always had a good meal. The restaurant is quite large but is really nicely decorated and divided up into smaller areas. Service was attentive but not overly friendly. As you might expect from the restaurant name they focus on steak and other grilled meats. I had a really tasty ribeye steak cooked to perfection but vegetables are served as side dishes and this adds to the cost. drinks also seemed just a little expensive too. In summary; nice looking restaurant, good atmosphere, high lquality food and it just about worth the money !

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We have eaten here before but it's been a while. Dinner for 4 with a couple of drinks was $155 before tip. Service was excellent - John was our server and he was superb. Food was excellent. Bread was fresh and served with some type of Olvie oil mixed with tomato(?) bits - very tasty. We will go back sooner than later. Drinks we not skimpy and well made. Great spot in south Rockville/north Bethesda area.