“Good (but not Great) Food and Service”
Review of Nick's Chop House

Nick's Chop House
Ranked #62 of 421 Restaurants in Rockville
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed February 10, 2012

The Only Chop House on Rockville Pike. Good to very good Itailian and American food. Not Great - but you have to go to Bethesda for Great. Very convenient for business lunches and dinners as well as family dining when you want a mid-level (that tries hard to be an upscale restaurant (sometimes succedes)

Reviewed November 1, 2011

As we were walking into this restaurant, my friend (who's been before), told me about the last time he visited. He hadn't booked, but wanted a special restaurant to give his partner a gift. On asking for a table, the Maitre D said "not tonight you're not" - the tone was all wrong. If you don't have a table, say so and suggest booking next time.

We entered the restaurant. A waiter happened to be at the desk and went to find us a table. when he returned to show us to the table, the Maitre D arrived and asked if he could help us. He gave us the once over as he asked. Nothing infuriates me more than this (we're professions - MD/attorneys etc, but honestly what difference does that make..!). He then reprimanded the waiter for having taken matters into his own hands. It was really quite embarrassing to behold.

We were shown to a table. I have to say the food was great, the calamari, though a little chewy, was nicely battered. my steak was excellent, and the drinks were good.

we couldn't help but notice the maitre d interrupt waiters as they were serving customers. It was far from professional.

I would absolutely recommend the food and the waiting staff - they were very good. But the manager (I checked he was the manager - not the owner) is quite inappropriate and he needs to be pulled down a peg or two..

Definitely make a reservation

2  Thank alan_jean01
Reviewed September 1, 2011

My husband and I went here for our first anniversary. It's in a residental neighborhood/business park, and a fairly upscale area, so we were surprised that at 8pm on a Saturday night they were basically dead. We heard the owner say the economy is really hurting their business. I'd say there were only four or five other parties seated. The service was excellent, though three different waiters/waitresses waited on us throughout the night.

My husband had crab and artichoke dip as his appetizer. He said he couldn't taste the crab at all, and the few bites of crab he got didn't taste fresh. His meal was a med rare ribeye and broccoli. My husband is a professional meat cutter, so he knows his steak. He said it was cut and cooked very well, and he thought they probably cut their own steaks on site as ordered, but we didn't ask if that's the case. He had cheesecake w/ chocolate and kaluha sauce, which was pretty good, but the sauce tasted like Hershey's syrup.

I ordered the Caesar salad, which was fine, nothing special. For dinner I had a smaller ribeye (med well), which was very good, and mashed potatoes, which were luke warm. I ate a few bites, but left the rest to bring home. My dessert was creme brule, which was quite good.

Overall we probably would check out other local steak houses before returning.

Reviewed March 25, 2011

dont order the crab-lobster roll looked like cat food and tasted nasty ordered the special of the day ceasar salad with sea scallops you got 3 scallops which were overseasoned 14.95 price was special of day and hardly any dressing 2 small croutons on the lettuce that should be thrown out and the waiter did not quote the undisclosed price till the bill came .luckly I filled up on bread or may have starved.

Reviewed March 2, 2011

Our son wanted to go to Nick's for his birthday. They served lobster mac and cheese on their bar menu but we were in the dining room where the rest of our party ordered off the regular menu. They refused to give the birthday boy his preferred meal. He finally settled on something else so as not to make a scene. My husband talked to the manager afterwards to share our displeasure. He was apologetic and panicked that we'd call his boss so he offered to send us a gift certificate for another meal. A year later, it hasn't arrived-we would never set food again anyway in an establishment with such shoddy treatment.