“Sweet Ethiopian Oasis”

Cuisines: Ethiopian
Maryland
“Sweet Ethiopian Oasis”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

In a city of very ethnically diverse culinary offerings, Sheba is the only Ethiopian place to go for miles around. Prices are very reasonable and there are a number of combo platters to acquaint the uninitiated with this unique cuisine. We ordered the beef and vegan platters which were colorfully served on injera bread surrounding an Italian style salad. The food here has a sweeter taste than what I'm normally used to for Ethiopian but still quite pleasant. I wonder if it was slightly modified for the American palate. The iced tea is unique as well with a strong cinnamon punch. The beef sambusas were just right - not too spicy. They were served as cylinders instead of triangles. For tagalongs and children afraid of eating aromatic mushy food with spongy towel-like bread (injera), pasta is also available.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank AthensBoy

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A gem!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stumbled across this restaurant almost by chance using the “near my location” feature for dinner. It was amazing. I went to the usual Adams Morgan restaurants in the past, but this by far surpassed it. We took the lamb and the cabbage and carrots. The injera were so moist and fluffy, it was amazing. The veggies were great and the lamb was so tasty. Owners are so nice and helpful. They roast their own coffee as well and it smelled so good in the restaurant, I wished it had not been evening time to be able to try it. The restaurant is brand new and spot clean, which is always a delight. A five-star, easily! A step forward for the owners will be to make the décor a little more inviting, right now it is well decorated on the walls with really nice Ethiopian art and artifacts, but the tiles on the floor are not so cozy and there is a big empty space in the middle, which is convenient for the waiters, but not so pretty for the clients. You can make reservations in advance, which is great when you have a big party. There are a lot of vegetarian and even vegan options. Portions are huge and we ate everything but were so so full at the end. Prices are great, very reasonable for such a quality. I will definitely, definitely come back soon with my kids and am also planning on taking my in-laws. A must-go!!!!

• Visited August 2013
“The best ETHIOPIAN RESTAURANT in the area!”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Until Sheba came to Rockville, I had to travel to DC, Adams Morgan or Silver Spring for Ethiopian food, but no longer. There are a number of interesting menu choices, a broader array than other similar restaurants. The staff is also very friendly and takes time to describe food preparation methods, ingredients, etc. Portions are generous and consistently delicious! Hand s down, the best Ethiopian restaurant in the DC-Baltimore area.

From a Lover of Eritrean Food

• Visited July 2013
Lillington, NC
“What a place”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Our daughter put us onto Sheba. I have lived in Ethiopia (Eriteria) and enjoy good Ethiopian cuisine. I have eaten at many of the Ethiopian restaurants in the DC area, going all the way back to one of the first, The Red Sea. My personal feeling is this is unequivocally the best Ethiopian food I have encountered anywhere, bar none.

The place was spotless, The decor was modern with the African/Ethiopian influence.

The meal was tasty and hot, and additional injera was provided before we could ask. My wife and I shared the meat sampler and the vegetable sampler. The taste, the smell, the texture, the experience was beyond our expectations.

The staff were friendly and helpful and very courteous.

This, or any other Ethiopian restaurant, is not the place for a romantic meal, but for any and every other dining opportunity please give Sheba a try.

Try it, you'll like it!

• Visited May 2013
“Veggie platter is delish”
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed the vegan platter....they also have a veggie platter (has egg)....will be back. Not much more to say to reach minimum word count.

• Visited April 2013