“A park you "Need" to go to!”
Review of Lake Needwood

Lake Needwood
Ranked #2 of 27 things to do in Rockville
Reviewed August 6, 2018

Love this place and the staff at the boat rental are so professional, friendly and polite. Beautiful trails and lake.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"hike"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2018

A lovely park in the middle of Rockville, hidden from hustle and bustle of the city. As parks go it is modest with a lake and boat house and hiking trials. We go here during the weekdays when it is quiet and peaceful sometimes bringina a picnic lunch and sitting in the shade by the boathouse and gazebo. I expect it is alot busier during the weekend. Its a wonderful place to just get away and relax for a bit.Have not really paarticipated in the rowing or hiking activities. The park is a bit hard to find even with GPS as there are several entrances to it and the park entrance is not clearly marked. worth persisting.

Reviewed July 4, 2018

My family has been visiting this lake for decades. For the most part, this park is nice to visit, however, do not come into contact with the water directly! It's dangerous. Because of this, there are many other parks in the area within reasonable driving distance, that have a lake where it's safe to touch the water.

Regarding the complaints about the staff, I've experienced both sides equally. I've personally witnessed where the staff has been amazingly helpful and friendly and the opposite. The gentleman Jim is usually friendly but I've seen him be passively aggressive towards visitors, too. He's probably the oldest person in charge, so maybe there's a power thing going on there. Typically, it's a nice visit, just be aware of the water.

2  Thank katiebythebay
Reviewed July 3, 2018

I took my kids here to go paddleboarding. The boat house staff were pretty condescending and were poorly trained teenagers. I was told there was no swimming or wading. This confused me at a lake so I asked three different times if we could at least dip in to cool off or walk in the water on one of the beaches. Each time, the answer was a blunt "no" without explanation. We paid our $5 per board to launch our boats and the staff didn't even bother to move the rental kayaks off the landing they told us to use. We had no room to launch. After going back again to ask them to move the boats, they watched as we waded in the water to get on our boards. They also knew we had our feet in the water and legs as we paddled around. The water looked pretty nasty with clumps of algae everywhere. Turns out there was a valid reason for not being allowed in the water. It's potentially TOXIC! We did a little digging after our trip and found out that this lake has been contaminated with toxic blue algae for the last 7 years. There were no signs posted and the staff never once mentioned the possibility of the water being dangerous. A news article from last year said to avoid direct contact with the water. We all got wet and we all had our feet in the water (it's kind of hard NOT to on paddleboards, which the staff not only knew about but watched as we got on our boards). I called the director the next day and they did a little looking to determine if the lake has reached dangerous levels yet. They currently don't THINK it's dangerous but as I told him, shouldn't the staff have told me at least once out of the 3 times I asked that the reason there is no swimming or wading was the potential for dangerous bacteria?? That would've been a pertinent piece of information that would definitely have changed our decision to take the family on a lake where we were definitely going to come in direct contact with the water. We will never go back and as for the rest of the lake, it was pretty small and I guess it's ok for fishing if you don't mind the possibility of contamination? Never again. I do not recommend. Rude staff, small lake, & dangerous water.

4  Thank Steff S
See more reviews
Reviewed June 26, 2018

Feeling bored, I decided to visit this Lake located at the Rock Creek Regional Park. There are a lot of activities to do at the lake such as fishing, walking, hiking, picnicking at the Shelters, etc. There are also some small playgrounds for the children as well as zip lining near by. Entrance is FREE.

The weather was nice during my visit, not too hot and with some breeze. Took some pictures and enjoyed my visit here.

Tips: Note that boats for rent are not available on Mondays and Tuesdays. See attached pictures for rental fees and other information.