“Good for canoeing”
Review of Lake Needwood

Lake Needwood
Ranked #2 of 26 things to do in Rockville
Reviewed August 12, 2014

We had fun with the kids seeing turtles and birds on the lake. The staff were friendly. The lake is somewhat small, but that was just fine with us. We brought a picnic lunch, and enjoyed ourselves.

Reviewed August 11, 2014

Lake Needwood is a 75-acre (300,000 m2) reservoir in Derwood, Maryland just east of Rockville, in the eastern part of Montgomery County that is located on Rock Creek.

Once I followed the GPS to the address, there is a few car parks, I followed the sign to the trailhead carpark. There are a few trails, there is a 13.5 miles for bikers and hikers to Washington DC. I took another one that is supposed to be around the lake. I thought it was call the Blue Heron Trail, but it is not on the link today when I check it again. In any case, I was lost, the signage was poor, there are detours all over the place, because the park is going through some construction.

The lake is nice. There is a boating area where you can rent kayak, row boat, pedal boat, canoes and there is boat tours as well. You can just show up and there is a little house by the lake where you can get things arranged.

It is a nice Sunday out but I wish the signage could have been better.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

Nice scenery, golf nearby. Trails and a lake, as well as other opportunities for fun. Not sure if rafts can be taken.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

We like to take the bike trail that leads to this place. Very idyllic and shadowed most of the time. The lake area is very relaxing after the ride. We usually pack a light picnic and it and rest there before heading back.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

loved the kayaks! lots of fun! go early on a sunday or anytime weekday. fun watching the activity on the lake.