“Hong Kong on the Pike”

East Pearl Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 422 Restaurants in Rockville
Cuisines: Chinese
Description: A quick Google search turned up yelp and other sites about East Pearl, but there doesn't appear to be a dedicated website. Excellent food!
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is a gem and very different from your average Chinese restaurant. Portions are large and each bite is filled with flavor. Service could have been better, the atmosphere is just ok, but the food is excellent. Washingtonian has East pearl on it's top 100 list where it deserves to be. Prices are more expensive than I expected but absolutely worth while I am looking forward to my next visit.

Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Very good to excellent all the way around. Nothing fancy but the real thing. I recommend the duck and the claypot cassaroles

Reviewed January 7, 2013

First time we went at 4:00 and it was almost empty. Got a whole flounder which was enough for two people. Everything on top of the fillet was very good. Chunks of the flounder, snow peas, mushrooms, greens, were all cooked nicely and all was hot. Looking forward to to the bits of fish on the bottom of the deep fried remainder of the flounder, I was disappointed to find it so sodden with oil as to make it inedible.
Second time we went it was crowded and noisy which we don't mind. Parking can be tough but not a big deal for me to walk from a vacant & lighted lot just a little north. Ordered roast duck which came quickly but without rice. Duck was only warm and too greasy for my taste. Next dish was cured bacon with Chinese Broccoli. With the first bite in my mouth something was wrong. The bacon tasted rancid. Perhaps "cured bacon" is an acquired taste, but the dish was sent back and replaced with shrimp with walnuts. A large portion soon arrived, but unlike any other shrimp and walnuts I've had before. The shrimp were deep fried (tempura?) which was not mentioned on the menu. It was also served with a white sauce that tasted like mayonnaise which also was not mentioned on the menu. Would not have ordered that dish. With the mainly very good reviews will give East Pearl one last try.

1  Thank CWnut
Reviewed December 11, 2012

In my younger days, I always visited Hongkong because it was near my country. So I got used to Hongkong food. But when I moved to the USA, it was difficult to find good Hongkong food. Well, I finally found it in East Pearl, Rockville, MD! What a find! It was only by accident that I tripped on this restaurant. I was going to a Vietnamese restaurant which closed and I was told it had opened again. But not being a regular at that restaurant, I mistakenly went to another and it was East Pearl. I didn't know it at that time. I was just amazed that it got renovated and it was bigger and the place was full for lunch! And when I saw the menu, I thought "they even changed the menu?" Well, it turned out this was a different restaurant from where I originally wanted to go. So I had their pan fried noodle since I was just by myself. It was very good. Then last Friday, my friends and I wanted to eat here. We asked for recommendations and Kim gave us her suggestions. We got the filet of fish. She said if we wanted to order it again, just point to the piece of paper on the wall. It is there permanently! It must be a bestseller for them to do that. Then she recommended the beef with lemongrass and roasted pork. We also ordered the fried rice and green beans. There was so much food for just three of us. The filet of fish was just delish! You could not tell there was lemongrass on the beef because it is grinded with the beef and the beef is so soft too. This may not even be in the menu. I've eaten roasted pork in various places but this is the WINNER. This is so good, I couldn't stop eating it until I was so full. I immediately told my sister about the restaurant since they also like to eat Chinese food when they go out. The restaurant is full of Chinese. This is a plus because it means that the food is very good! On weekends, there is a line so come early or late....

2  Thank Parisbreakfast
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This restaurant opened 9 months ago and stands tall among the varied Chinese restaurant scene of Washington DC. I understood what the fuzz is all about, just head north from DC to Rockville and enjoy. The restaurant offers excellent dishes Hong Kong style with subtle influence from Canton, Guangzhou and Szechuan. The restaurant space is nicely decorated and alive, and the service was superb, really excellent. We really enjoyed the starters including spicy shrimp wontons and roasted pork. The mains included some excellent dishes such as snow pea leaves with garlic, walnut shrimp in mayo (very light and rich at the same time), won ton noodle soup presented perfectly, seafood congee and General Tsao's chicken. Welcome East Pearl finally a great chinese in the DC metro area.