“Great Lunch Spot” 4 of 5 stars

Matchbox
Ranked #5 of 387 Restaurants in Rockville
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pizza, Italian, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Located across the street from the Twinbrook Metro (red line)
Maryland
“Great Lunch Spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I just so happened to stumble into Matchbox last week while lunching with a work colleague. I had passed it by plenty the last two years, but wanted to try something new. It actually was a great time to try it out because this location was honoring the DC Restaurant Week and had a great deal. Appetizer, Entree, and Dessert for $20. I feel like we received a great sense of the menu with that very affordable tasting. The ambiance and decor is awesome... a very rustic feel, with vintage matchbooks incased in the table. The menu's were cool looking... The appetizer was calamari which was absolutely divine... I had the salmon for the entree and my colleague had the pizza, we enjoyed our respective entrees and also sampled eachothers. I would definitely order the pizza after trying hers in the future. Sorbet was served for dessert which was perfect way to end the meal.. Overall I would definitely make this a regular spot in for lunch or dinner in the future.

• Visited January 2014

“21st Birthday Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I'd never been to Matchbox before but some of my friends had so I decided to take a few friends there for my birthday dinner. When we got there (on a Thursday night) the place was bustling with noise and just loud enough to give a good ambience to the restaurant. It wasn't overly loud so that you had to scream to be heard. The lighting was also dim but I liked it. There were four of us so we were seated at a booth which was very comfortable and we ordered some custom pizzas and a large pizza half fire and smoke and half oven dried tomato and mozzarella. The pizza was amazing (I've always loved thin crust) and I loved the crunchy crust and it was very good. The only reason I gave this place a four star instead of five was because the fire and smoke pizza wasn't as hot as I would have imagined it to be (I'm South Asian and we tend to go heavy on the spice in my family). My friends surprised me with Mo's Magic Brownies for dessert and it was SO delicious!! The brownies were melt in your mouth and the vanilla ice cream was just yummy with it. The waiter sang me happy birthday and he was very cheerful in general. I had a great first-time experience here. The waiters were very attentive to the their respective tables and kept our glasses full. I don't know about how the alcohol tastes because I don't drink but I can definitely vouch for the food and environment. I loved Matchbox and I would go there again with family - preferably soon!

• Visited January 2014
“Very Nice!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have only been there a couple of times for lunch, but it offers great food, good craft beer selection, and excellent service.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
“They do takeout, too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I was having a big family dinner with small kids and I didn't want to cook, so I ordered a bunch of Matchbox pizzas and some sliders. It was a big order but they got everything right, and it was ready on time. Everyone loved the food. Their pizza has something for everyone, whether they like traditional pepperoni or trendy fig and prosciutto.

• Visited December 2013
Rockville, Maryland
“Great restaurnat and hang out spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I really enjoy matchbox. I've done brunch, lunch and dinner there and was happy everytime. The cocktails are great, the pizzas are yummy and so are the salad. Love the atmosphere as well, you can do both intimate dinner and big groups. It can get a bit noisy on wkds evenings but they have a few "private" areas to sit.
I definitely recommend.