WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of La Limena

La Limena
Ranked #9 of 394 Restaurants in Rockville
Good for: Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Hidden Peruvian Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

La Limeña is a hidden gem in a strip mall. The restaurant was bustling, but after a 10 minute wait we were seated. The service was quite good. We ordered chicken and fish which was quite good, as well as the Papa a la Huancaina, which was very good. All in all, food was very good and moderately priced.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Amazing find so close to home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

I've been to this bleak strip mall several times as there are a number of restaurants here, but this one is the best of the lot. La Limena is small and does not have a lot of atmosphere, but it is busy lunch and dinner and for reason. Specializing in both Peruvian and Cuban food, the restaurant seems to do both surprisingly well. I went with friends at lunchtime and had the special of the day--fresh, tasty tilapia smothered in tomatoes, onions and peppers--delicious. One of my companions had a seafood soup which was amazingly generous in ingredients. Everything seemed fresh and nicely presented. And I understand that the yummy dulce de leche cookie I had for dessert was made in house, as were the other desserts. It was the first time for me, although my companions have eaten there before both at lunch and dinnertime, and won't be my last. . Recommend.

1 Thank pmr2
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Delicious Food at Reasonable Prices!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

We already look forward to returning to La Limena. Every dish was delicious and the prices are so reasonable. It doesn't have much in terms of decor, but don't get turned off due to its strip center location. The service was great and the staff is willing to explain the different choices in detail.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Falls Church, Virginia
“Four And A Half”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I were in the Rockville area recently and decided to have dinner there. Based on some research, we chose La Limena, and I am very glad we did. It is a small place, and fortunately we arrived early, as a line had formed withing a half hour.

The food -- Peruvian and Cuban -- was quite good, Both my crispy fried fish and my wife's meat dish were very tasty, and generously sized. Dessert -- a Peruvian Napoleon -- was fine, but nothing special. However, judging by tables around us, the favorite deserts are passionfruit ice cream and a custard or flan.

The space is fairly utilitarian, but the lack of physical warmth is compensated by the warmth of the owner/manager. He came over to chat and was very nice and friendly. And as first-time customers we reveived complimentary caramel cookies -- a nice touch.

We live too far away for La Limena to be a frequent outing for us, but I would love to check out more of the menu next time we are in the area.

“What a surprise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Was taken to this restaurant by a friend and let me tell you. No regrets! The place was a bit small and it was pretty busy. Started of with the ceviche and all I can say is WOW!!! Delicious! I have had ceviche in many places but in this joint it was something else!

My friends asked for a drink and when it got to the table I started making fun of them because it looked like something that should have an umbrella in it. After I made fun of them they told me to try it..... Well, needles to say I ended up buying one myself. I can't remember the name of it but it was made out of passion fruit. It made want to be out at the beach. The food was great nothing bad to say about it. My only complain was that I believe it was a little bit expensive. Other than that, I highly suggest this restaurant.

1 Thank Dbo78