“Four And A Half”

Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I were in the Rockville area recently and decided to have dinner there. Based on some research, we chose La Limena, and I am very glad we did. It is a small place, and fortunately we arrived early, as a line had formed withing a half hour.

The food -- Peruvian and Cuban -- was quite good, Both my crispy fried fish and my wife's meat dish were very tasty, and generously sized. Dessert -- a Peruvian Napoleon -- was fine, but nothing special. However, judging by tables around us, the favorite deserts are passionfruit ice cream and a custard or flan.

The space is fairly utilitarian, but the lack of physical warmth is compensated by the warmth of the owner/manager. He came over to chat and was very nice and friendly. And as first-time customers we reveived complimentary caramel cookies -- a nice touch.

We live too far away for La Limena to be a frequent outing for us, but I would love to check out more of the menu next time we are in the area.

Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Was taken to this restaurant by a friend and let me tell you. No regrets! The place was a bit small and it was pretty busy. Started of with the ceviche and all I can say is WOW!!! Delicious! I have had ceviche in many places but in this joint it was something else!

My friends asked for a drink and when it got to the table I started making fun of them because it looked like something that should have an umbrella in it. After I made fun of them they told me to try it..... Well, needles to say I ended up buying one myself. I can't remember the name of it but it was made out of passion fruit. It made want to be out at the beach. The food was great nothing bad to say about it. My only complain was that I believe it was a little bit expensive. Other than that, I highly suggest this restaurant.

1  Thank Dbo78
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Been coming here since they opened and had plastic plates and utensils. Now they got drinks and real silverware, but the food has not changed-still the best!! Everything on the menu is great!! Luv the Peruvian chicken, with black beans and rice. The empanadas are incredible and the little cookies are awesome!

1  Thank UpInTheAirPotomac_MD
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We went on a Saturday night, so it was very busy. But being only two people, we did not have to wait at all. There just happened to be a table for two available. The food was good but not great. The Ceviche (fish only) was good. It reminded me of a mild pickled herring in a deli. The Lomo (we got both chicken and beef) were good but not really great. The portion size was large. The beef was a little tough but very tasty. We got their special ice cream for dessert and were somewhat disappointed. It was just okay. We actually left part of it which never happens! The service was friendly. The one thing that is important is that the tables are SO CLOSE TO EACH OTHER that a large or overweight person would truly have a hard time getting to their table. It was the worst situation I have ever seen. I am surprised that they are allowed to do that. If there were a fire, there could be a problem of people getting out.

1  Thank Nancy G
Reviewed February 14, 2013

First time i went, committed faux pas (was wearing a Chilean soccer shirt! 8-0
Still, service great. We've been to Peru and this place would do well there. Seviche fine and the mix of Cuban and Peruvian dishes are all great. When you go to a Peruvian restaurant and most of the clientele are South American, you've come home!

1  Thank RetiredNLuvinIt_11