“Best Dumplings In the Area!”

China Bistro/Mama's Dumplings
Ranked #104 of 411 Restaurants in Rockville
Cuisines: Chinese
Germantown, Maryland
“Best Dumplings In the Area!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This non-descript strip mall Chinese restaurant has AMAZING dumplings! If a friend hadn't taken me there I would have easily driven right past thinking it didn't look like anything special. That all changed when I walked in and saw a packed restaurant with delicious food!

Friendly folks at surrounding tables bragged of driving 20 miles from Virginia to get these famous dumplings. The crowd looked to be about 80% Chinese which my friend assured me was a sign that the food was authentic. Whatever it was, the dumplings were delicious! I've also tried the lo mein, fried rice, scallion pancakes, and spring rolls which were all good but the dumplings are the star here.

Although a new good dumpling place "East Dumpling House" recently opened about a mile away, it has nothing on this GREAT dumpling paradise!

Don't let the average exterior fool you. China Bistro has the best Chinese dumplings in the area!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Brian G

Rockville, Maryland
“Excellent Kung Pao Fish”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I hadn't been to this restaurant in a few years, not since they stopped offering several dishes that I had enjoyed. Was I ever surprised when I walked in the door! The place had been redecorated and the menu revised. My husband and I ordered the kung pao fish and fried vegetable dumplings. The dumplings were as good as he remembered (he has ordered them from time to time in the past few years, usually as take out). As for the kung pao fish, it was excellent! It was the best kung pao "anything" I have ever eaten! The dish is spicy, but not uncomfortably so, with a beguiling and memorable mix of flavors. I've been back a couple more times, each time ordering the kung pao fish, and it is always superb. Another nice thing about this restaurant is that it serves quite good bubble tea, which is enjoyable alone or with a meal. I can't wait to go back!

• Visited July 2013
Silver Spring, Maryland
“I drove 20 miles after placing an order to find out that they are sold out of the Veggie Dumplings. I am a strong believer of 1s”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My first time here and the staff looked stressed and was not professional to handle the crowd. They need to hire more people to handle the crowd.

2 Thank BKYESS
Washington, DC
“Best dumplings outside of NYC or LA or Xian!”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We have eaten Chinese food literally all over the world, including Hong Kong and Mainland China. These dumplings are fabulous. Note there are 12 to an order... we over ordered on carryout but we will enjoy them as leftovers. The place is a bit Spartan. They have about 15 tables. We will go back!

• Visited February 2013
Raleigh, NC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent dumplings!”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The dumplings were excellent! We also tried a tofu skins appetizer and ended the meal with Bubble Tea. My favorite was the dumplings. I understand their dumplings are handmade. There were about 9-10 to a plate/order.

Visited December 2012