“A feeling of chaos”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Coming into Mike's gave me a feeling of chaos! It was a Sunday night and at nearly 8pm, they had an hour + 15 minute wait for inside dining and a 2 hour wait for outside. I can't imagine what a Saturday night must be like!!! The place was a bit too dirty for me to ever go back. It overshadowed the taste of the food…. not a nice view of the kitchen.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

I have spent some time at this restaurant and bar off and on since 1978. They have always had great crabs, drinks and boat docking just off the outdoor seating area. I recently went back after not being there in some time and I was with non-crab eaters. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and size of the appetizers and entrees. The menu has many seafood and land lubber choices and everything we tried was excellent, including the Peanut Butter Pie! Our server, Geena was fantastic! This is a casual waterfront atmosphere with a Tiki bar and crab picking so dress casually and leave the pretentiousness at home. Only negative was an unimpressive salad bar.

Reviewed August 13, 2014

On the recommendation of our hotel we ate here.. Best fish dinner.. Great service friendly staff.. A must visit.

1  Thank Jim L
Reviewed August 7, 2014

This place is crowded and seemed almost entirely staffed with young high school kids. They were friendly enough, but service was slow, and they weren't really terribly knowledgeable about the menu. The salad bar is great -- very fresh and the potato salad is not to be missed. Really good Maryland style crab soup. Had the fried seafood platter, and everything was good except the shrimp was surprisingly overcooked and tough. The crabcake was EXCELLENT and the fish was a very generous and delicious portion. Oysters were also very good. The waterview is also great.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

This is a very high-volume restaurant. This can mean many things. On one hand it can mean word has spread on a very high-quality meal in a scenic and fun environment. On the other it can also mean less-informed large groups of hungry folks are being served average portions of overpriced food on an industrial scale. The latter was my impression. One concern was the mess - because people are bashing shelled animals with mallets and knocking pieces of said animals all over tables and floors, it produces significant noise and mess. The wait staff are working hard, and can't keep up. So we saw several large tables covered in buttery messes of shells and potatoes just sitting unattended for 20 minutes at a time. I don't know about you, but I find that visually unappealing. Shouldn't they hire more bus boys? For much of the time our young server was no where to be seen. We had a lemonade spill at our table - it took me 10 minutes trying to flag down other servers to get the lemonade mopped up and a new setting established. Perhaps it would have been nicer to sit outside - surely less noisy. But it was humid, and we wanted the AC. However all we could see were servers rushing feverishly around slamming gigantic trays of food in front of impatient hungry people.

Our meal was okay - coming from Boston we take seafood pretty seriously, and know about 100 places with better presentation and flavor. I think our server was really slammed - we just never saw her. But it is basic restaurant customer service - check in with your table a few minutes after they've been served food, keep soda and water glasses full, clean up any empty plates or messes as they appear. This just wasn't happening. This coupled with the constant stream of furious server foot traffic unable to keep up, the pounding of shells on tables and floors, the crying of babies, and annoyed customers made this feel like some kind of sit-com. And $30 for a basic plate of fish in this part of the country seems appalling.

So it appears Mike's has the word out, and people are coming for the industrial-scale slamming of trays. But if you prefer farm-to-table, thoughtful preparation and presentation in a more professional environment with well-trained staff, look elsewhere.

1  Thank jklavier