“Great deal for the money”
Review of Econo Lodge

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Princess Anne
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Needed a room for Salisbury University's family weekend. With nothing open closer this was our 1 room/1 day rental. Our room was clean and neat. Very convenient to Rt. 13, and the continental breakfast was just what we needed before heading back to SU.

Room Tip: Always ask for non-smoking rooms.
Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Susan M
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge

Reviewed August 26, 2013

As another reviewer commented, the location is convenient on 13, and the rooms were clean. There was a family enjoying the pool when we got there, though we did not use it ourselves. We also made use of the mini-fridge and microwave, so that was good. However, the pull-out couch was pretty wretched, and do not count on the "free breakfast" unless mini-donuts are your thing. I never saw the waffles referred to by another reviewer, and the dry cereal was there, but the milk pitcher, the coffee pot, and the water cooler were all empty. Noisy guests arrived at some hour in the middle of the night - not the hotel's fault, but the motel configuration didn't help. The manager didn't seem very interested in customer service - and if the price were half what it was, I'd be okay with that, but this was the same price as a Hampton I stayed in later this week with half the service and amenities.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Barb_from_PA
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I booked this hotel online a few days before our trip on our way to the Outer Banks. It was the only place I found on Route 13 that had availability. I was a bit concerned due to the reviews and the place is certainly not a palace, but the rooms were clean, bed sheets and bathrooms were clean. Pool was very clean (no algae or anything) and welcomed by the kids after a long drive. It was as I expected based on the price and brand. However, i must admit I was extremely pleased and surprised by the staff after I left my Kindle in the drawer. We went on our way and a day later I realized that I had forgotten my Kindle fire in the room. I called thinking this would be gone, if not by a guest, taken by the staff. To my greatest surprise, the person at the reception went to the room and called me back and told me they would mail me the tablet back to my house right away. I can't thank them enough for it.

Room Tip: we were on the lower floor by the pool side and had no problems. Our 2 rooms were communicating with...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mackzoli
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I and our dog stayed at the Econo Lodge in Princess Anne during the pony swim activities in Chincoteague, VA. The hotel is just off Route 13 south. It is a two level hotel with outside corridors only. There is a pool, a washing machine,and a clothes dryer located on the hotel site. Our room had 2 double beds, a refrigerator, a microwave, an older type (non flat screen/HD) TV, and a hair dryer. The air conditioner temperature was controlled by a knob labelled "warmer " to "colder" rather than by a numerical setting. All of the equipment in the room performed without a problem during our stay. There was a desk and a desk chair also in the room. The room was just barely large enough for us and our dog to be comfortable. Both the room and the bathroom were clean when we arrived and the cleaning staff did a very good job keeping it clean during our stay. A word of caution on room cleaning. For whatever reason, the cleaning crew liked to get started early with their cleaning. During our entire stay, they were ready to enter and clean our room by 8:45 to 9:00 AM every day. We were rising early and leaving the room early so it was not a problem. But if you are a late riser and like to enjoy breakfast in your room before heading out for the day, their eagerness to clean could present a problem. My wife used the pool on one occasion and there were no apparent problems that jumped out at you. During our stay, several other guests used the pool on a daily basis and seemed quite pleased with it. The beds were comfortable and we both got reasonably good nights of sleep while at the hotel. We were on the ground level near the pool and this presented two problem areas for noise. The noise from above from guests walking around (not jumping or running) was a problem and the noise from guests out in the pool area (after 10 PM) was also a problem. Another problem, the room did not have the usual hotel booklet/info package that gives the rules and regulations of the hotel. For example, the pool hours, pool rules, breakfast times, rules for washer/dryer etc. If you didn't ask, you made up your own rules (I guess). During our stay, we killed about 20 flies in our room. Maybe, the cleaning crew was leaving the door open when doing our room? The flies were annoying. The biggest problem and the main reason that I do not recommend this hotel to my fellow travelers is the "continental" breakfast that is offered. On day 1 of our stay, we both went to breakfast (separately because we do not leave our dog alone in the room). The breakfast room is small and even with the hotel half full with guests there is not enough room for people to sit and have breakfast. The breakfast consisted of small donuts, bagels, 2 or 3 dry cereals, and make your own waffles. Beverages were coffee, milk, and orange juice (no apple juice). My wife made a waffle and when she started to eat it, the taste was so bad that she ended up throwing it away. She had a bagel and then left. I went to breakfast, I made a waffle, it too also tasted "not normal". It could have been the cooking spray used on the waffle iron to prevent sticking, it could have been the syrup that was in a very large Mrs Butterworth syrup bottle that was almost empty and very dirty on the outside, or it could have been the waffle batter was going bad. The donuts looked several days old and during the course of our stay, the donuts looked the same with only the bagels looking that they were fresh. I kept checking the breakfast area daily, but we ended up going out to breakfast for the remainder of our stay. There was also an area in the lobby where there was a desk looking like a "business" center but I did not see a computer anywhere near it.The "Wi-Fi" in the hotel worked fine. There are a number of long term guests staying at the hotel who are government contractors working in the area. The owners and the staff are quite friendly and try to be very helpful, but there are just too many things working against their efforts. I do not recommend this hotel to my fellow travelers. However, should you book at this hotel, opt for a room on the upper level back away from the highway and pool area.

Room Tip: Opt for an upper level room back away from the highway and the pool area.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Dan C
Reviewed July 29, 2013

On our way down south for vacation, and needed a place to stay for the evening. The price was reasonable, they accepted animals, and we found very few online who did. The hotel was clean... and has a pretty worn feel to it. The beds were pretty bad. Kinda wish I'd driven straight through.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sreptile
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We called a few weeks before our arrangements on our way to Obx. We had very
clean rooms, felt rather safe, though the only negative i had were the amount of single men staying in more permanent accomadations towards the back of the hotel. I had two teen daughters with me and they threw a red warning flag in my mind. But lobby breakfast area was nice and pool area was getting ready for the weekend.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank dianlmar
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in August of 2012, the floor was moldy, cracks in the walls and floor, cockroaches in the bathroom. I didn't even want to take a shower, it was so gross. breakfast, stale powdered donuts was all it had. pool was green and had ALGAE growing in it. Worst of all, our family developed a case of head lice shortly after staying at this roach motel. This was the only place to stay, we would NOT have chosen to stay here otherwise. The screen on the window was torn, an overall creepy place. Never again. We paid $100+ dollars to stay at this dump!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
La Quinta Inn & Suites Salisbury
Hampton Inn Salisbury
Hampton Inn Salisbury
#2 of 14 in Salisbury

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!