“Yum!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Families with children
Maryland
“Yum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

This was our first visit to Nagoya Bistro and we absolutely loved it. I thought their sushi was delicious and my husband really enjoyed his curry chicken dish. Just having recently been to China we were curious to see how authentic the dishes would be. One of my favorite meals in China was steamed dumplings and our appetizer of shrimp dumplings at Nagoya was excellent. The food was fresh and the service was outstanding. We will definitely return to try some of the many other items on their menu.

• Visited October 2013

Huntingtown, MD
“New Restaurant - Best Asian Food in Calvert County”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

As the other reviewers indicated, Nagoya was a very pleasant surprise. Don't let the fact that this was previously an Arby's restaurant stop you from trying Nagoya. The food, service, and atmosphere was excellent. We were there today (Saturday) in the mid-afternoon. There were 6 in our party and we were seated immediately. The atmosphere and decor were surprising - dark woods and Asian decor. They did a great job with the interior of the restaurant.

For appetizers, we all ordered sushi - I had the Jalapeno Yellowtail. Some of the best Yellowtail I've had. My son had the obligatory California rolls, my daughter had the "Rock N Roll" [Shrimp Tempura w/cucumber and avocado spicy eel sauce], and the server brought up complimentary cooked/fried rolls that were excellent - it might have been the "Panda Roll" with cream cheese, avocado, and crabmeat.

Entrees were served with choice of soup or salad. The soup was of a Miso style - not my favorite, but everyone else liked it. My entree was Curry Chicken. It was excellent, and all of the family wanted to keep on having some of my dish! My wife and mother-in-law ordered the Habachi Steak - they both said it was excellent. My daughter got the Pad Thai and said that it was really good, my son got the Combo Lo Mein - way too much food for him to eat! My father-in-law ordered the Teriyaki Beef. All of us loved our food.

Service was excellent and attentive. Prices were reasonable, particularly considering the quality of the food, portions, and preparation. We will all be going back, and we strongly recommend Nagoya to others.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Great sushi comes to Calvert!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

We were thrilled when we heard about Nagoya and couldn't wait to try it. Happily the experience exceeded our expectations. The food was excellent and the service friendly and attentive despite the crowd.

The dumpling appetizer is delicious, some of the best we've had anywhere. The special rolls looked fantastic and tasted even better. The fatty tuna sashimi was wonderful, worth the price.

If you live in Calvert and love sushi you need to give Nagoya a try.

• Visited September 2013
North Beach, Maryland
“Really Nice Addition to Prince Frederick!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

Knew they were newly opened and a friend and I decided to stop in after an evening meeting. No idea of what to expect from a converted Arby's! Before we even got in the door I was impressed, we were greeted at the door with a brochure holder of really well done, full color quad-fold, take-away menus, one of which I am looking at now! When we walked in, we were very pleasantly surprised. They had done a really nice job with the decor. Without having moved walls or doing extensive structural changes they had totally converted the building into a very tasteful, very pleasant Asian oasis! Impressive!

The staff greeted us warmly and remained friendly, attentive, and available throughout the meal. We did not want for anything. Even the chef himself stopped by to make sure everything was satisfactory.

The menu is extensive and we agreed we will have to go back many times (and so far as this experience went, we will) to sample all of the things that looked and sounded so tempting (although the restaurant menu might have benefited with more of the pictures that the take-away menu seemed to have been illustrated with). Fellow diners commented on that also, they wished they had read the take-away menu along with the in-house menu. The restaurant offers Sushi, Sashimi, Tempura,Teriyaki, Noodles (Lo Mein, PadTai, Fried Rice), Curry, Hibachi cooked food, Some cooked dishes like General Tso's Chicken, Black Pepper Chicken or Steak, , etc., some steamed offerings, a number of lunch specials and Lunch Boxes.

I noted a smart thing they are doing is that, although they are offering many dishes, they are really not out there with huge numbers of different fresh protein and other fresh ingredients so they are going to be able to keep the things they do offer fresh. They are just using all of the things they offer in many different combinations to be able to offer many amazing things. Yum

And yes, what we got was yum. I got the Tom Yum Soup (spicy broth with herbs, mushrooms, lime juice and lemongrass) with Shrimp and the Squid Yaki (grilled whole squid with "house special sauce".) My friend tried a couple of the rolls: Eel Avocado Roll and Shrimp Tempura Roll. The Tom Yum Soup was a bit of a miss: the broth was just the right bit of spicy and I loved the flavor. However, it had been heated a little too much and the shrimp were overcooked and rubbery and the slivered mushrooms were waterlogged. Still, I didn't hate it. The Squid Yaki was a 10!!! I love it, but squid is an even more tricky protein to cook and they did this perfectly. It was absolutely wonderful! It had a light, smoky flavor. And the "house special sauce" was lightly flavored and just right. It was considered an appetizer but this together with the soup filled me up and I actually took some home. My friend liked her rolls and said they more than favorably compared with ones she had sampled elsewhere. They were both cooked offerings and I usually go for the raw fish and can't attest to the quality of the fish on this visit for the sushi or sashimi. I will try that next time!

This restaurant does not have a "Bar" but they do have a Sushi Bar. They are in the process of getting a liquor license and they presently offer a BYOB policy.

All in all, we loved the restaurant, the food, the service, will return happily and think this is a great addition to Prince Frederick and Calvert County!!! Would definitely recommend it! This is not just another same old, same old by any means!!

• Visited September 2013